October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
10 Jun 2017 22:28 #249720 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Hearthstone Players!
Man, paladins getting Tirion from stonehill defenders is DEFINITELY not fair!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2017 14:40 #249725 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Hearthstone Players!
They're like scratch tickets but you always win money. They shouldn't pay out free tickets (more turtles) though. What do you guys think about the discover mechanic? Have they gone a little overboard with it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Jun 2017 04:30 - 12 Jun 2017 04:31 #249729 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!

Hex Sinister wrote: They're like scratch tickets but you always win money. They shouldn't pay out free tickets (more turtles) though. What do you guys think about the discover mechanic? Have they gone a little overboard with it?

No, I think it's great. It gives you some mid-game strategic choice which you can use to influence how your deck runs, find new combos with other cards in your hand or grab something you really need in the situation. It's like a mini sideboard. This all adds depth to the game, rather than detracting from it.

And as for Tirion, if the card were really overpowered I could see the complaint. But it isn't. So having two is rarely that big of a deal: especially when the one in your deck might never get drawn (the randomness of card draw, BTW, makes all the other random in the game right now pale into insignificance). I think doubling on Tirion was won me one game, and the tempo was with me in any case. And I've been running mid-range Paladin since Un'Goro.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2017 04:31 by Matt Thrower.

More
12 Jun 2017 10:51 - 12 Jun 2017 10:52 #249741 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
I think I saw NappyD get five Tirions in a game. That might be too much. If there's something I don't like about Discover is that Blizzard treats it like it's free. If there's a mana cost associated with adding that mechanic on, it is small. Primordial Glyph comes to mind here, as does Stonehill Defender. 1/4 Taunts for 3 are well established, and you can buff that with "Beast," "Charge," or "Replace this in your hand with a late game card or perhaps something to smooth out your curve, whichever is more appropriate." One of these should cost more than the others.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2017 10:52 by jeb.

More
12 Jun 2017 13:04 #249746 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
As with most major changes to the game, it's a patch card that doesn't really address the game's main issues. They were trying to address two things: the ridiculous amount of RNG and many (especially new) players not having access to legendaries. I like the Discover mechanic. I think it's far superior to "get a random card" (i.e. why Lock and Load never worked) because there is some level of skill and strategy inherent to making the choice. It's just when they start layering more conditions on top of it that it begins to break down. Discover is now set up to give a higher chance of drawing class cards. Warlock (remember that class?) doesn't really have any great taunts, so using Defender is kind of a wasted exercise for them. Paladin, OTOH, has two of the greatest in the game right now. So Defender is in every Paladin deck because it isn't totally random and it gives everyone access to two of the best legendaries in Standard, who also just happen to have Taunt.

Glyph is similar. Discovering a spell isn't a bad mechanic, but when you give it to Mage, with the best collection of spells out of any class, AND make said spell cost 2 less (Side rant: WHAT. THE. FUCK? Are you kidding me? The totally random Unstable Portal appearing in the majority of Mage decks wasn't a clue that cost reduction is a BAD IDEA? How fucking clueless do you have to be to not realize that a 2-cost card could regularly change the entire nature of the match at any point? /rant) is what makes it insane. Now you not only empower one of the best classes with their main strength but you also make it easier to exercise that strength. So they end up taking a fine mechanic, Discover, and make it destabilizing by trying to add shit onto it.

It's just like Reno. They wanted new players to be able to get into competitive play more easily and they wanted to reduce the impact of rampant aggro. They could have done the former by changing pack rarity rates or dust/gold cost and they could have done the latter by introducing deck manipulation and/or instants that you could play on the opponent's turn. They didn't want to do either of those, so they created Reno which patched over both of them, since new players only needed 1 of each power card in their decks and could "rely" on Reno to bail them out. It's shitty design and it's an example of Team 5 continually wanting things to be not as they are without addressing the ultrasaur in the room. ("You want it to be one way. But it's the other way." /Marlo.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gregarius

More
12 Jun 2017 13:43 - 12 Jun 2017 14:07 #249747 by jeb

Jackwraith wrote: Glyph is similar. Discovering a spell isn't a bad mechanic, but when you give it to Mage, with the best collection of spells out of any class, AND make said spell cost 2 less (Side rant: WHAT. THE. FUCK? Are you kidding me? The totally random Unstable Portal appearing in the majority of Mage decks wasn't a clue that cost reduction is a BAD IDEA? How fucking clueless do you have to be to not realize that a 2-cost card could regularly change the entire nature of the match at any point? /rant) is what makes it insane. Now you not only empower one of the best classes with their main strength but you also make it easier to exercise that strength. So they end up taking a fine mechanic, Discover, and make it destabilizing by trying to add shit onto it.

I agree with your whole post and want to just add my ranty fuel onto your well-lit fire here. Primordial Glyph makes me crazy, and I can't see why folks aren't complaining about it out loud every time it is played. I was in Zetalot's chat and said, "Can't wait until Blizzard publishes Shadow Visions for Mage in a couple of sets and adds on that card costs 2 less." Someone replied that I was being ridiculous and that card would be ridiculously powerful.

LIKE. NO. SHIT. SHERLOCK.

I am guessing Blizzard's reasoning for these costs involves Shadow Visions not making the discovered spell cost two mana less because the choices are always the spells good enough to make the cut in a constructed deck. Which makes sense if the three random Mage spells you see from Primoridal Glyph are each not of that quality. And what are the odds of THAT exactly? Not to mention you might see another Glyph and get ANOTHER SHOT if you miss the first time, at no additional cost. It's fucking crazy. Firebat joked the other day when he had Mana Wyrm and Primordial Glyph on the mulligan, "Turn 2 win with Glyph." The odds of that are low, yes, but about the same as the odds of your discounted random Mage spells all being unimpactful. Gotta make sure they can Glyph AND play that Pyroblast they needed on the same late-game turn after all. So dumb I just had to rant about it.

UPDATE! I did not know this existed when I wrote this post:

plays.tv/video/593c452b88711b277e/is-pyr...this-special-effects
Last edit: 12 Jun 2017 14:07 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
12 Jun 2017 14:52 #249753 by Hex Sinister
P-Glyph is pretty crazy. Funny how many 4-cost meteors I've got from that. It's an auto-include at this point, unfortunately.

Chain discoveries annoy me though. It shoud be "discover a non-discover card".

More
12 Jun 2017 15:05 #249755 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: UPDATE! I did not know this existed when I wrote this post:

plays.tv/video/593c452b88711b277e/is-pyr...this-special-effects

Yep. Saw that later. Unreal. Notice that he passes up Blizzard, twice, which would have been perfectly acceptable to play at that point, but instead opts to keep Glyphing because he's pretty sure he'll roll a winner pretty soon.

@Hex: Agreed. They should find a way to exclude particular cards from the mechanic. Or I guess people could Play Around It™.

More
13 Jun 2017 02:37 - 13 Jun 2017 02:43 #249783 by MacDirk Diggler

jeb wrote: I think I saw NappyD get five Tirions in a game. That might be too much .

Funny thing is I lost that game. To quest warrior. Tirion is one of the best Paladin cards and one of the best taunts in the game.... but. Everyone can see him coming a mile away and has their plan ready when he hits the board. With all the Medivh also out there every reasonable non-aggro build packs a Harrison Jones. I know this may sound crazy but there are many instances where I would take Sunkeeper Tarim over Tirion if the choice came my way on a Stonehill Defender discover.

Regarding discover. I wish it locked out getting a copy of the card that was used. Saw a Firebat setting up a meme otk with priest and kept going Kabal courier into Kabal courier 3-4 times until he pulled a Calderra Drake to get infinite hero power into evil priest shenanigans. Which of course is not nearly as disgusting as primordial glyph which combos with regular and red mana warm, questing adventurer, and makes Yogg fuel. Just half hr ago I was post Finja with board full of murlocs and had a mage rocking back on his heels. He had two cards in hand and top decked glyph into flamestrike. A very triggering moment Especially as I am really trying hard to get to the next plateau at rank 10 and can't seem to string enough wins together to get over.

Anyone pay any attention to the recent tourneys? I ask because Muzzy won HCT and Zalae Starladde with Jade Shaman in their lineup. It runs Jade (duh) devolve, hex, volcano, spirit echo, and the heal minions. NO EVOLVE. One card difference in their decks is Muzzy ran a lightning bolt over the second Jade Chieftan. I've tried Muzzy version on ladder and it's a lot of fun. Getting spirit echo on healers vs mage and pressing hero power until you discount thing from below to 0 mana then combo those out with Aya or a Chieftan with spirit echo turn 10 is a back breaker. It's super slow deck and you have to use all kinds of jujitsu early game to stay alive. It's a deck of inevitability It beats most control including quest warrior and most aggro. Struggles vs Rogue and Dragon Priest and Jade Druid though.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2017 02:43 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
13 Jun 2017 10:49 #249791 by jeb
Spirit Echo is some good. I don't know why that card doesn't get more press. Well, I -wondered-, I imagine it will be everywhere for the next 10 days or so until everyone moves on. Shaman has so many great Battlecry effects, and getting another shot at them is amazing. As long as your deck has the staying power to last into a turn where you can pay three mana to "do nothing" it should be a huge factor.

I am stuck at 15.x right now. I jump up to 14 and then bust back down. I have lost some games I have misplayed and that's been disappointing. Like, the win is right there, and I dodged it. Jamie Wakefield, an old MtG writer used to keep a little d6 at the side of the game to log his mistakes on. Even things like a bad mulligan, or ordering your turn wrong (tap last.) Think about your turn, and your plan, and THEIR plan, and execute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
23 Jun 2017 17:31 - 23 Jun 2017 17:32 #250356 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Hearthstone Players!
New pack opening changes starting next expansion,

• Every time you open a legendary card it will be guaranteed to be one that you don't have before.
  • Everyone will be guaranteed to open a new legendary card within the first ten packs of the new set.
  • Both of these changes will start when the next expansion hits.

These are great changes, I've had amazing luck with my packs since the beta. However, the last two expansions have been terrible, tons of duplicate legendaries.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2017 17:32 by Wetworks.

More
24 Jun 2017 15:13 #250384 by Hex Sinister
Does this mean the next expansion has 70 legendaries to collect...

More
24 Jun 2017 23:39 #250394 by jeb

Wetworks wrote:
These are great changes, I've had amazing luck with my packs since the beta. However, the last two expansions have been terrible, tons of duplicate legendaries.

Crafing fear is real. You don't want to drop 1600 dust on a Legendary and then open it three packs later. Really cool fix.

More
25 Jun 2017 14:23 #250401 by Hex Sinister
I managed to get a whopping 5 wins in arena. Not very prestigious but it's my best run. What's odd was that it was a terrible deck and I've had much better and did worse. Good curve at best. Reward: a pack, 50 gold, and a poison slug. Not even golden =p

Then I got my mage to level 60 in standard. That was anticlimactic at best. I figured there would be... something.

More
25 Jun 2017 22:12 #250415 by jeb

Hex Sinister wrote: I managed to get a whopping 5 wins in arena. Not very prestigious but it's my best run. What's odd was that it was a terrible deck and I've had much better and did worse. Good curve at best. Reward: a pack, 50 gold, and a poison slug. Not even golden =p

Then I got my mage to level 60 in standard. That was anticlimactic at best. I figured there would be... something.

Hey good for you, man. Five is about my upper limit these days in Arena. There are a lot of sharks out there and I don't play Arena right. I got to 9 once, I think, ages ago. That's my peak performance. I think I average like 3.5 or something--juuust enough to break even.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds