October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
10 Aug 2017 17:14 - 10 Aug 2017 17:15 #252341 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Hearthstone Players!
Opened up 73 packs today with free gold and the bonus packs.

Legendaries I got in order,

Bolvar Fireblood
Sindragosa
Malfurian the Pestilent
Rotface

Valeera the Hollow - Free deathknight from the Prologue

All in all not bad, Aside from Valeera the legendaries seem like tier 2-3 but could be fun. I'll be crafting The Lich King and a few more of the Death Knights and that should be good enough for most of the expansion.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2017 17:15 by Wetworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2017 17:20 #252342 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
I forget who I even got... some 4/6 wizard guy. {rummages} Archbishop Bendictus! 7-mana 4/6 Priest card that makes your deck my deck, sort of. That's neat. Probably wouldn't want it until Rank 15+ though, there are some decks I don't want mixing with mine I would guess. I still have 20+ packs to open (opened 18 so far I think), so I might sneak another Legendary in there.

I am not really shooting for anything. I think the Mage, Rogue, and Paladin Death Knights are all really good, and I'd want to try those out. Not too much else is jumping out at me. I really like that 2-drop that gives +1/+1. That's pretty fucking good. And Priest gets the same effect with a 2/2 body, and maybe more than once. That's awesome. Paladin's Taunted Acolyte is going to pissss meee offff I can tell. Just like late-game Annoy-o-tron's would back in the day. Stitched Tracker for Hunter (3-mana 2/2, Discover a minion from your deck) is also top notch. Sadly, it's in Hunter. I think I'll try it with Secret Hunter (to fetch Cloaked Huntress), but Hunter... dang. They don't like Hunter.

More
10 Aug 2017 17:49 #252343 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Hearthstone Players!
Jack... I'm telling you, come to Elder Scrolls Legends. It's quite excellent. Less assholes, too. I've only been playing like 3 weeks and I got a ton of free stuff. With gold I bought 5 pre-con decks and a set of 10 bonus cards and still have a shitload of gold and dust. This game gives you a lot of free shit. Got a fuckload of cards already. Even three wins gets you a card + gold. Levelling gets free shit too. Non-ladder is very newbie friendly as well. Solo arena gives chunky rewards at low levels - I even got max wins.

Seriously about to kick HS but since I pre-ordered 50 packs I'm not done with it quite yet. But I literally felt like I had my last pirate warrior sm0rc bullshit this week and that fucking murlock trash. Having a lot more fun with TESL and it's a lot more relaxing somehow. Only downside is 3x Legendaries...

More
10 Aug 2017 23:55 #252350 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Jeb, I got the Priest DK as a reward for doing the first wing, too. I'm not quite sure about that one in terms of making a deck, although it's interesting to see that in their attempts to make Shadow decks viable, they've virtually eliminated the need for Shadowform with the DK. I mean, you could never draw it, so maybe you pack two Shadowform anyway? Dunno.

Anyway, I went through and scrapped virtually everything I had in Rogue and Warrior and forged a few cards. I tried for a couple hours to get Bloodreaver demons to work, basically inserting Gul'dan and Defile into the pre-fab demon deck from MSOG, which I'd actually done quite well with several months back when I had some Warlock quests. After a couple games against the Innkeeper to see how consistent it was and then several games in Ranked (I'm 25, since I haven't played for two months), I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work. I didn't win a single game in Ranked, partially because demons just aren't a strong enough tribe to do something from Flame Imp on up and partially because about 2/3 of the decks I faced had the Lich King in them. Welcome to Dr. 8, gentlemen. I went out onto the Reddits and discovered that Jackie4chan had put together a deck that, of course, includes the Lich King, but also keeps all the demons to the upper edges of the tribe, other than Voidwalker: www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/warlock#36...57:2;62902:2;62922:1 ;

I think he just acknowledged that it's going to take so long to get to Gul'dan that a) you need a backup in Arthas and b) if you're going to take advantage of his battlcry, you don't want to be resurrecting a bunch of pissant stuff like Flame Imp. You want to be bringing back big stuff in the same manner as N'Zoth. He's also using Happy Ghoul, which I knew would be a great Warlock card, even though Trump pissed all over it for some reason (I turned off his neutral card review halfway through, since he was just dismissing everything as too narrow. Suffice it to say, his predictive abilities ain't the greatest.) So I won a couple games with that. Through wins and losses, Defile is everything that everyone expected it to be, BTW. I thought the inclusion of the Tainted Zealots was interesting, but I'm not sure they're really worth it. I won a couple games with it. including a near mirror match. The poor guy... I played Arthas and got the Deathgrip card. He did all but one damage to Arthas as Jaraxxus and I figured he was going to Defile (he'd already use both Coils.) The card that Arthas gave me the turn I played him? Deathgrip. The minion I drew from his deck with Deathgrip? The Lich King. There is nothing but RNG.

I had a bunch of dust left, so I went and forged an Uther of the Ebon Blade, too, and put together a control deck: www.hearthpwn.com/decks/894459-blackguard

It's still rough, but I had good luck with its versatility and didn't feel threatened at almost any point. Blackguard only functions when you actually get healed. So if you're at full life and hit a totem with Truesilver, it won't deal 2 damage. I think I have a bit too much in the way of healing effects, though, and should probably get some card draw of some kind.

More
11 Aug 2017 12:47 #252360 by jeb
I got the Paladin DK from the (really quite funny!) Solo Adventure and built a Control deck. I called it "LAWD" because Lawd that deck is nassty. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it, to be sure. Haven't played it yet, but it looks grim.

If you aren't playing the 3-mana-Discover-a-Taunt guy, you should. Lich King? Burnbristle? Tirion? Those are solid minions. I feel like every deck should run it, just for a shot at Lich King.

More
11 Aug 2017 12:51 #252362 by Jackwraith
Stonehill Defender? Yeah. He's been a staple for any control or midrange deck since Un'Goro dropped. He's also been appearing in a few aggro decks because he's THAT good for a couple classes (like, yeah, Paladin.)

More
11 Aug 2017 16:47 #252379 by jeb
Stonehill Defender, yes! I am terrible with the card names now. I know them by stats and voicelines (Out of my jungle!) more than name. That guy. Love that little fella.

I was building Midrange (Secret) Hunter and made a deck with NO NON-HUNTER CARDS IN IT. That's can't be right, but it seems totally possible. What a time to be alive. I think Silence effects need to become the norm. There are just too many big ass buffed monsters out there. Everything is +x/+x or Deathrattle or Taunted or whatever. No wonder they neutered Silence effects. I think Ironbeak is playable again.

More
11 Aug 2017 17:27 #252383 by Jackwraith
Totally agree on the Silence. I went into Casual with my Pallie control deck to see if the Blackguards are really worth it (slowly coming to the conclusion that they're not, unfortunately) and I got WRECKED by a Hunter DK. He got so many poisonous combos that I just couldn't keep any taunts down and putting down my endgame guys was just as pointless. It was crazy. I was laughing the whole time as he came up with one bizarre beast after another and complemented the whole thing with Hyenas and Houndmasters and Fledglings to make people (aka me) expend their removal on real threats before the DK stuff starts happening. However, I'd say it was very time dependent. He drew Rexxar in turn 4, which means he had him on cue on turn 6. If he comes too late, it's a subpar beast deck. But if he's in hand in tempo, it can roll.

More
13 Aug 2017 12:34 #252421 by Jackwraith
Not sure about the Priest Zoo thing we were talking about the other day, jeb, especially as to its viability with the Priest DK. In most cases, Zoo decks want the game to basically be over by the time you'd be casting the DK. If it's not, that usually means they've run out of gas and/or cards. Warlocks compensated for that by being able to keep drawing in the same turns that they were dropping new creatures. Priests can kinda do that if they have a Cleric on the board, but not as easily. Warlock Zoo is all about offense creating efficient trades and getting the kill. Priest Zoo would have to be about defense creating efficient trades... and might be stuck trying to get the kill with the old Divine Spirit/Inner Fire combo. As usual, when creating a new deck, I start with class cards and then branch out into key neutrals from there:

Argent Squire x 2
Holy Smite
Inner Fire x 2
Northshire Cleric x 2
Power Word: Shield x 2
Young Priestess
Divine Spirit x 2
Mana Geode x 2
Radiant Elemental x 2
Shadow Ascendant x 2
Happy Ghoul x 2
Kabal Talonpriest x 2
Priest of the Feast x 2
Tortollan Shellraiser x 2
Holy Nova x 2
Lyra the Sunshard
Shadowreaper Anduin

The Squires are obvious; there will never be a Zoo deck without them. I threw a Young Priestess in to kind of further the theme (health providing positive trades) and provide another 1-drop, but she's definitely a weak link. The Geodes and the Radiant are solid creatures (2/3) unto themselves, but also provide versatility later. The Shadow Ascendants are basically the meaning behind the deck. However, I wonder if they're too slow, since I don't have that many ways to protect them and opponents will remove them instantly (which kinda brings the whole deck into question, which is what I'm doing.) Happy Ghoul seems like an auto-include, except that I've found myself healing creatures far more than myself. Priest of the Feast is incredibly efficient, stat-wise, which is what Zoo traditionally sought, but there aren't that many spells in the deck and it feels like they're in there mostly to extend the game to reach Shadowreaper, which may be not what's needed from a 4-drop that would usually be something like Dark Iron Dwarf. Shellraiser seems like it's serving the deck's endurance-based take on Zoo, if that will work. Also, both cards are amazing with Inner Fire, of course. The Spirit/Fire combo is also spectacular when pulled off early with Radiant or Geode, as most Silence decks will have taught us. Lyra's under question for the same reason the PotFs are: they're reliant on not too many spells and they don't provide the level of offense you'd normally want in Zoo. But, again, if this is Priest Zoo, is it reliant on offense or outlasting the opponent and holding the board? That's why Nova is in there, too: heals my guys, maybe clears some aggro, even though Nova is nowhere near as efficient as Dragonfire (and the duplicates of Dragonfire they're now going to have to print forever when a rotation takes place.)

So, anyway, that's what's kind of working, but I'm not sure it will be competitive in any real sense. It's not fast enough to deal with control and can't win a race with aggro unless you get the Spirit/Fire combo off early and get it to last. Plus the other win condition is an 8-cost that kinda sticks out like playing Jaraxxus in Warlock Zoo: it don't belong.

More
14 Aug 2017 13:37 #252448 by jeb
I didn't build out like this at all. I went big dumb aggro for my Zoo priest. My curve tops out at 1x 4-drop: Mass Dispel. List below, calling out the new cards...

2x Acherus Veteran (2/1 for 1, Battlecry: Give a friendly minion +1 Attack.)
1x Bloodsail Raider
2x Crystalline Oracle
2x Firefly
1x Holy Smite
1x Inner Fire
2x Northshire Cleric
Lx Patches the Pirate
2x Power Word: Shield
2x Dire Wolf Alpha
2x Fallen Sun Cleric (2/1 for 2, Battlecry: Give a friendly minion +1/+1.)
2x Mind Blast
2x Shadow Ascendant (Priest 2/2 for 2, At the end of your turn give another friendly minion +1/+1.)
2x Shadow Word: Pain
2x Acolyte of Agony (3/3 for 3 with Lifesteal)
2x Curious Glimmeroot
2x Kabal Talonpriest
1x Mass Dispel

It's a nice change of pace. Turn 1 anything into Turn 2 Shadow Ascendant or Fallen Sun Cleric is really good. Inner Fire works as burst on my buffed dudes or nerf on their wounded dudes (e.g, Made a Savannah Highmane 1/1 as a Hunter tried to control the board). 10 from the hand (Mind Blasts) end the game faster than folks expect.

Maybe "Zoo Priest" is a bad title. I think I ended up as "Face Priest." I use my buffs/Hero Power to maintain board control (my early minions don't die), and they chip chip chip away. I gain card advantage via good trades and some small draws (Glimmeroot, Oracle, Firefly, Northshire). I feel like no opponent wants to spend mana getting rid of these crappy creatures with targeted removal and they hang on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Jackwraith

More
14 Aug 2017 16:35 #252450 by jeb
Big Priest is a thing, right? I have seen some folks dabbling on stream and I have to believe this is going to be in the top tier metagame. Obsidian Statue is a brick house. Priest Epic for 9, 4/8, Taunt, Lifesteal, Deathrattle: Destroy a random enemy minion.

I mean... COME ON. I was duking it out with a Renolock and played... 4 of them? And I only have one in My Collection. Barnes fetched a teeny one (thanks Barnes), I Discovered and resurrected it with Eternal Servitude, I got one from Free From Amber, and actually cast one. That's the dream I suppose, but it's not like I was lacking things to do.

More
15 Aug 2017 13:11 #252453 by MacDirk Diggler
The one I see runs Barnes Yshaarj Ysera Lich King and the guy you mentioned as only minions. The deathknight and shit ton of spells round out the deck.

What about Thijs' OTK penguin deck? Sweet 5 card combo in singleton deck. Get the hero power discounted to free. Play Death Anduin. Then combo OTK. Hero power for 2. Velen and hero power for 4. Then mirage caller and make another Velen and hero power for 8. Then penguinand hero power for 8 more. Ya. Saw him doing this at legend. What a dick

More
15 Aug 2017 13:55 - 15 Aug 2017 14:05 #252455 by jeb
I don't have Yshaarj, so I can't exploit the whole Barnes thing as much as others. But I did craft The Lich King because yes. I have been playing Kazakus Priest this AM, and having a good time wearing out all the DK Rexxars out there.

### Kazakus
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 1x (0) Circle of Healing
# 1x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 1x (1) Potion of Madness
# 1x (1) Power Word: Shield
# 1x (2) Doomsayer
# 1x (2) Faerie Dragon
# 1x (2) Shadow Visions
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
# 1x (2) Wild Pyromancer
# 1x (3) Acolyte of Pain
# 1x (3) Curious Glimmerroot
# 1x (3) Kabal Talonpriest
# 1x (3) Shadow Word: Death
# 1x (3) Shadowform
# 1x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 1x (4) Eternal Servitude
# 1x (4) Greater Healing Potion
# 1x (4) Kazakus
# 1x (4) Mass Dispel
# 1x (4) Priest of the Feast
# 1x (5) Drakonid Operative
# 1x (5) Holy Nova
# 1x (5) Raza the Chained
# 1x (6) Book Wyrm
# 1x (6) Dragonfire Potion
# 1x (8) Free From Amber
# 1x (8) Medivh, the Guardian
# 1x (8) Primordial Drake
# 1x (8) The Lich King
# 1x (9) Obsidian Statue
#
AAECAa0GHooB4QTlBMkG9gfSCtMK1grXCtgK8gz7DKqyApK0AqG3AoO7ArW7Are7Arq7Ati7AvC7Auq/AtHBAtnBApvCAsnHApnIAuXMAubMAsLOAgAA

I am reluctant to Barnes here because I might get Doomsayer and that's the saddest thing. It would pollute my Eternal Servitude too. I was against a Rexxar and we were both at 30 life with about 13 cards left in our decks. He was Build-a-Bear'ing every turn, but it doesn't do much when I am laying Medivh into Free From Amber for the Obsidian Statue and Atiesh's Lich King. He dealt with those, but the tide was turned and I started to swing for ~5-10 a turn with everything going on.

edit:
Speaking of funny combos, any of you see the Trolden video of a Wild Warlock playing Knife Juggler into Deathspeaker (making it immune for the turn) into Grim Patron into Possessed Villager into Defile? Need a tick somewhere to get this out in 10 but Defile kills the Villager, Patron made, Demon made, Juggler shoots, Defile kills the demon, Patrons made, Juggler shoots, Defile kills the first Patron, Patrons made, Juggler shoots, &c. You win.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2017 14:05 by jeb.

More
15 Aug 2017 15:46 #252461 by Jackwraith
You mean like this:
Forbidden Shaping
Holy Smite x 2
Potion of Madness x 2
Shadow Visions x 2
Shadow Word: Pain x 2
Shadow Word: Death x 2
Barnes
Eternal Servitude x 2
Mass Dispel
Holy Nova x 2
Lyra the Sunshard
Dragonfire Potion x 2
Shadow Essence x 2
Free From Amber x 2
Shadowreaper Anduin
The Lich King
Obsidian Statue x 2
Ysera
Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound

I've only tried a couple games in Casual with it, but I think it's pretty solid. I had Medivh in there, at first, even though he doesn't work with Barnes and Y'Shaarj, just because of the ridiculous amount of spells that could be used with him. But I took him out and think it still works well. I doubt I'd ever remove Lyra because a 1/1 of her is still insane value, even if I'm all I'm doing is dumping 0 mana Forbidden Shaping for a penguin. Meanwhile, a 5/5 version of anyone but Barnes is stupid good and even Barnes isn't horrible. I'm kinda torn with keeping the Shaping, because I was thinking a Greater Healing Potion might be more constructive for a number of reasons, but if I'm stuck in the midgame with hand full of directionless spells or minions I can't cast, it's not bad to spend 4 or 5 on a random and try to come up lucky. I haven't yet found a great use for Shadowreaper, though, since I end up taking a lot of damage early on and am often reluctant to cast him and eliminate my healing, in addition to not wanting to remove my own Lich King or Y'Shaarj from the board. The Statues are, indeed, insane. My last game in Casual, I honestly felt sorry for my opponent when my turn 4 produced this:

Fucking disgusting, yo. He played really well and got rid of that Statue and the other one Y'Shaarj summoned and finally Y'Shaarj, too. But then Lyra and Arthas got involved and I had so many cards in hand I was burning them.

More
15 Aug 2017 16:17 - 15 Aug 2017 16:21 #252463 by jeb
Ant was playing a big heavy Priest deck yesterday on stream against Mage. Let me reconstruct his turns as best I am able...
Turn 4: Barnes, fetching a 1/1 Deathwing Dragonlord. Opponent kills the little fella, so Ant gets Deathwing and Ysera for free from his hand. Mage Frost Novas.
Turn 5: Eternal Servitude for Deathwing Dragonlord. Opponent Frost Novas again, does some other stuff that doesn't matter.
Turn 6: Topdeck Eternal Servitude for another Deathwing Dragonlord. Opponent realizes nothing matters anymore. Nothing in the whole world. Ysera is pooping out cards, there are 12/12s all over the place. Nothing matters.

It's hard to compute the value of these plays. Let's see, spending 4 on Barnes got 19 mana worth of stuff out. One of those things made another 10+ mana's worth of cards. Eternal Servitude costs 4 and made 10 twice, so another 12 mana of value there. 12-mana for three cards netted Ant about 42 mana worth of stuff. That's pretty strong.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2017 16:21 by jeb.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds