October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
16 Aug 2017 11:30 #252487 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!
Still not sure what to make of this expansion. It seems to have swung so heavily back to control decks that games are taking 20+ minutes at the moment. They're fun, to be fair, but it's not the pocket-sized entertainment I want it to be. And it's terrible news for laddering and questing.

Been playing Jade Druid mostly because it looked completely nuts. But to be fair to the design team, it really isn't. Lots of decks can beat it in lots of ways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2017 11:55 #252492 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Matt, if you want quick games, play Pirate Warrior. It's still really REALLY fast and can blow a bunch of these decks away. Everyone wants to play Lich King and other huge effects, but they don't get there if you win on Turn 5. I would look at cramming in a Silence effect for cheated out Obsidian Statue, &c. You'll be the heel and all, but if you just want to get to Rank 10 it's an easy road. After that most of the builds are backing enough early game to make it through and you'll need to get savvy.

More
16 Aug 2017 19:06 #252515 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
I dropped back in to pick up my free shit and see what was up.

I did the solo adventure, and it fell really flat for me. The whole shtick was "look at my overpowered shit! hahah, suck it n00b!" I was already thinking to myself, "well I'm going to have to build some stupid deck to cheese this thing", when it went into Death Knight mode, and then was just obviously dumb. The gag continues into the whole wing with "net decking", etc.

It's like Trump parodies on TV. It's too damn close to the truth, and you have to live through this shit every day. It's just not that funny. I was quickly reminded why I gave the game up a few weeks ago. Bought some packs, then scanned through expansion list and said "more overpowered shit to fuel stupid you-lose combos".

If you guys are having fun still, good on you. I'm going back into hibernation.

The script shows that the problem I have with the game is not resolvable. It still comes down to "The devs are having fun, so you should be too. Look at all these AWESOME cards!"

More
17 Aug 2017 19:35 #252568 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
I keep rolling the nuts on Big Priest. Turn 3 or 4 Barnes, YShaarj, Obsidian Statue. For a lot of decks, the game's over right there. They can't get through the Obsidian in one turn, which means that next turn mini-Shaarj is going to bring out Ysera or Arthas and give me ungodly card advantage (which I often already have) and if any of them do get killed, I typically have an Eternal Servitude in my hand that can bring it right back. Sebastian referred to it as "degenerate" and he's probably right.

I was loaded up with Shaman quests, though, so I finished the scrapping of 4 classes (Rogue, Warrior, Mage, Hunter) and forged a Thrall DK and took the Evolve deck out for a spin.

That's a pretty good evolve off a Gangster, Flame Elemental, Master of Evolution, and some other random thing. Still have 23 class cards to go on one quest. Right now, I have 7 decks loaded up: Big Priest, Zoo Priest, Jeb's aggro Priest, Blackguard Paladin, Kibler's latest Galvadon Paladin, J4ckiechan's control Warlock, and my control Evolve Shaman (2 Hex, 2 Lightning Storm, 2 Stonehill Defender, 1 Volcano.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
18 Aug 2017 17:13 - 20 Aug 2017 11:12 #252628 by Jackwraith
Played the Evolve Shaman again today because I had a quest that still needed 17 Shaman cards played. Did it in one game. hsreplay.net/replay/DqY3i7NUjhMTHmfY3TmhUk

This was a pretty controlly Priest that didn't seem to have a ton of new stuff, but was fairly loaded with epics. The early turns are just me kind of baiting out Shadow Words (Flametongue Pained, Thing Deathed) although the Thing was also intended to be the way to finish the Reporter. That card is actually not horrible for Priest, if they can keep it healed and it keeps doing the Gruul thing (the advantage over Gruul being the mana cost, of course.) But I didn't have a ton of ways to deal with it and wanted to get to evolving, so I Hexed it. All he does is drop the Tortollan and heal, so I Gangstervolve and end up with a lineup that would probably have ended the game in a couple turns... except for the whole Doomsayer thing. Sigh...

So I'm like fine: Totem, Deathseer. It's not a bad result, but he immediately ends it with the Primordial and now I'm not sure how I'm getting through that. I dropped the Master too early, since I should have dropped the Flame and then the Master to get something bigger. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Getting the Healbot from the Master is fine, since he was at 29, so it's not like I was drastically affecting his life. I have to say I think he kind of wasted the Potion. I would have Visioned first and seen what I got. Keeping the Potion meant he could heal the Drake and I still couldn't kill it on board. But he seemed pretty determined to take out the Healbot, which is fine by me. I took out the Cleric, rather than the Totem, because she's tougher to get rid of and he could heal both of them out of reach of the Claws. I was kind of surprised that I was able to stay in the game with the insane card advantage he had, but he had a very defensive deck.

Getting the Obsidian off the Amber was inevitable. I was hoping for a Hex but handled it. I decided to evolve the 2, rather than the Stonehill because there's a lot of 4/3s in the 3 slot these days and I was trying to find something that couldn't be Shadow worded. Success. Got the low roll on both Tar Creepers, but then ended up with two 4/4s in play, which is just about perfect, short of Dragonfire. Not sure I would have Facelessed the totem, given that I had the Claws and he was only going to get one card off it and me with another 4/4 in play. When he Cabaled the totem, I was like: Fine. I have total board control at this point if I want, but I'm just going face and then evolving into something you can't stop which, yeah.

This is the kind of RNG that I'm OK with, although I'd probably never try to make a legend run with this deck because of its randomness. But it's my choice when I want to roll the dice on my minions and if I get Doomsayered, fine. It happens. I know it does and I'm cool with it. It's just when people are in impossible to win situations and then Glyph, Cabal, Fireball their way out that it becomes pretty aggravating.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 11:12 by Jackwraith.

More
19 Aug 2017 01:16 #252654 by Jackwraith
On the Priest aggro/Zoo thing: I tried Jeb's list a few times in Casual and it just ran out of gas too often. Without charge minions or a way to buff other than the Ascendant or weapons to clear the way, I'd get wrecked by board clears and when I reset I'd be staring down a Primordial. The fact that I was getting to turn 8 without threatening a kill seemed indicative. Dunno. I haven't been playing aggro much recently, so maybe I'm just off.

My Zoo list worked a lot better. Keep in mind that this is all Casual, so lists are not exactly ladder-competitive. First game was against a Hunter and I had him on the ropes the whole time: hsreplay.net/replay/BjaBrE9AtmAxe6NUUcvrtE His list looked a lot like something just kind of thrown together with cards that are cool, though.

Second game was against a Paladin who went on tilt when he couldn't draw a Consec: hsreplay.net/replay/tZVeaWfL7oMkhNQxfrvEwY Key thing here is the presence of the Geodes, which allows me to make more minions without drawing cards and keep board control, which is what I think the essence of Zoo is (Cheap efficient minions that allow advantageous trades.)

I lost the third game against a Priest control deck who played two Shadow Word Horrors (which are becoming a lot more popular these days; remember when it was one of the worst cards in Whispers?): hsreplay.net/replay/V7u4TFtoQbfizeC3x5m4f5 After he Pint-sized/Horrored me, the game was over. I tried to stay in it, but the Primordial was the end.

The fourth game was actually decent. hsreplay.net/replay/DHdboTX56tJLipVqQET32E After the previous game, I'd been thinking to myself that maybe Lyra just wasn't worthwhile in the deck because while there are several spells, there possibly aren't enough to justify Lyra or the PotFs. It's just that the latter have such good stats that make them ideal for later game Inner Fires and healing if I'm in a race. But the Tortollans also do that and buff my other dudes if they're killed. Irritatingly, I thought for a few seconds about coining out a heal on the Geode on turn 5 in case of Multi-shot, but then figured: "Nah. I'll save it for Lyra." Stupid. But then Lyra delivered her usual ridiculous value, including the Hunter DK and I had such insane card advantage that I was pretty sure the win was in my hand, despite losing the board. When he played the two Cats into buffing the Hyena, he played right into Shadowreaper. Then it was just a matter of maximizing the use of Voidform.

Still don't think the deck is ladder viable, but I'll keep messing with it.

More
25 Aug 2017 14:38 #253140 by jeb
Man I am cracking up at the Icecrown Solo Adventure. I won't spoil anything, but folks should sign up for this free-ass fun-ass game-ass and play it. It's just such good writing and the game is great. Hell yes it's frustrating at times, but so is landing on goddamned Marvin Gardens three times in a row SON OF A BITCH I MEAN COME ON*

So I am going to hack away at the final boss for a while. I have seen the Priest, Hunter and Paladin acts so far. I know Boddicker won with Warlock, but I am intentionally avoiding the HearthPwns and all the other guidance I am sure is out there to see if I can crack this. I have taken him out with Priest pretty handily, but I think Paladin is going to be tough. So far I have at least one trick that has done wonders and I am sure is part of the grand plan.

On the Standard metagame side, Big Priest is fun and very challenging. Silence as an effect has never been so critical in the game--I am seeing Pirate Warriors that main Spellbreaker over Korkoran Elites. These are heady times.

*Do the math on Marvin Gardens, seriously, it was ridiculous.

More
25 Aug 2017 17:16 #253158 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: On the Standard metagame side, Big Priest is fun and very challenging. Silence as an effect has never been so critical in the game--I am seeing Pirate Warriors that main Spellbreaker over Korkoran Elites. These are heady times.

Big Priest is fun but sloooooow. I think I'm around 57-58% win rate but the games where I draw the nuts is disturbingly few. Jackwraith watched my struggles two nights in a row this week and I've been tinkering with it when, after running a standard Big Priest netdeck, Barnes started pulling 1/1 Priests of the Feast at an alarming rate. In desperation for an early game minion that wouldn't bork my Barnes/Servitude/Shadow Essence synergy I put in 2x Twilight Summoner (1/1, Deathrattle: summon a 5/5 Demon). It's unaffected by a Barnes pull and it's great with Shadow Essence (Deathrattle: Summon a different-looking copy of this minion). It has sustained me in games where I draw 2-3 of my big minions and I have no Barnes in hand. Yes, Priest can punish it but Priests are slower, anyway, so it's not like I need to tempo it out on turn 4. I even pulled off the once-in-a-while combo of Barnes + Shadow Word: Horror on an empty board against a Priest to prevent any Potion of Madness shenanigans.

But I think I'm going to save Big Priest for goofing around and instead try to ladder with Pirate Warrior. I swore I would never craft Patches, but after an interminable amount of time win trading in Rank 15 I crafted him and built the deck. I don't run two Bittertides (per the current netdeck), I subbed out one so that I now have 2x Spellbreakers. They're great against Priests and the weapons and constant face damage are almost always what puts me over, not the 5 mana 8/8 that hurts me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Aug 2017 18:24 #253165 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Hearthstone Players!
I have been working on a Warlock Control Deck of my own making....did great from Rank 23 to Rank 17. Stalled a bit and needed a break after a game last night where the cards were stacked in exactly the reverse order that I needed to see them.

Took a break and worked up a Mage Quest Deck for Wild. It is insane -- can get the one turn kill, sometimes by turn 7 -- nothing really poses a threat besides super fast aggro. I need to see about 20-22 cards to set up the combo. I hadn't played wild in months, so started out at Rank 25. So far, no losses to Rank 18. Wild reminds me so much of Vintage MtG.

More
25 Aug 2017 20:17 #253168 by Jackwraith
I tried out Trump's Paladin handbuff, where he seems to rely on all of the recommended mechanics and cards (Outfitter, Hydrologist, etc.) But I discovered that, unless you draw in a relatively precise order, you're just too prone to stalling based on the draw. So I shifted to a more control-heavy build, a version of which I saw in one of Kibler's videos:
Righteous Protector x 2
Smuggler's Run x 2
Prince Keleseth
Aldor Peacekeeper x 2
Rallying Blade x 2
Stonehill Defender x 2
Tar Creeper x 2
Wickerflame Burnbristle
Chillblade Champion x 2
Corpsetaker x 2
Spellbreaker x 2
Grimestreet Enforcer x 2
Spikeridged Steed x 2
Sunkeeper Tarim
The Black Knight
Bonemare x 2
The Lich King
Tirion Fordring

But, after playing it for a bit, I realized it's just Control Paladin without Consecration and Equality. So, not horrible, but not as able to clear paths for the bigger minions. Note that he has two Spellbreaker in there, though. Silence is, indeed, becoming essential. I'm thinking just heading back to my Evolve deck.

More
25 Aug 2017 20:37 #253169 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

Jackwraith wrote: Silence is, indeed, becoming essential.

You know how Blizzard emphasizes different archetypes (discard, secrets) or mechanics (Inspire, Overload)? When I saw the cards for this expansion I thought, "This might finally be what convinces people to run Silences," whether Blizzard intended it or not. Of course I kept this to myself so now I look like one of those genius-in-hindsight guys. But when it came to shitting on Tarim I was more than willing to share my thoughts... ;)

I haven't tried out the KofT midrange Hunter - I'm currently enjoying winning games - but I've already teched in an Ironbeak Owl in place of the DK Rexxar I'm missing.

More
29 Aug 2017 13:31 - 29 Aug 2017 21:42 #253326 by jeb
Lich King checklist
  • Priest: Big Priest. "Shut Up Priest" is hilarious. Beat him handily. I thought all the interactions would be this nice. I did need to tech in some burst to finish him off in a hurry.
  • Rogue: DeathRattle Rogue. Again, nothing too troublesome. Any build that lets you run Doomsayer has a shot, right? Wrong, see below.
  • Shaman: Reincarnate Shaman . Beat him without even knowing what he did to Shamans! First try. I had two Rags and two Kel-Thuzads in the end game. No Doomsayers here, Devolve and AoE is better (no Barnes cockups).
  • Druid: Jade Druid. Took a few tries. Really need to work magic on turn 7, as those stupid Frozen Souls are a problem if you can't pay Doomsayer. I'd tried Poison Seeds it got so bad. Finally settled on the Scarabs and the Taunt-buff dude.
  • Hunter: Struggling mightily. I think heavy critters with quick Moltens might work, but holy crap you need to get lucky. He has so many problematic Taunts. I'd need to deal 60 by Turn 7 without the Coin and that is legit HARD when he punishes you for having minions in your deck. Also trying out different Reno builds, but top end Hunter game is so weak. Update: Beat him with RenoHunter after a couple of tries (and auto-mullligan to Molten Giant. You also need Reno for turn 6 and Doomsayer for Turn 7!)
  • Paladin: Had some close ones, but this is the most puzzly of all the ones I have tried. He gets al your minions, so I am trying to figure out how to make that pay off. Doomsayer is obvious, and handles turns 7 and 8 perfectly. Early Mistress of Mixtures and Zombie Chows have no downside, really, as he has so much armor they don't help him overly. But how do I kill him? Trying to give him Humility'd Bittertide Hydras and pinging the shit out of them with Avenging Wrath and buffed Cthun. It's not working. Update: Switched to more formal Control, with some nuance. I am using an Anyfin package, but a little smaller, as you only need one Warleader--he will create the other one from his power. I am trying to use and give him crappy things like Razorleaf and Ancient Watcher. Even Venture Co was in there for a little while. I am close.
  • Mage: Mulligan to Kabal Lackey and Counterspell and/or Mana Bind is the only thing that seems to make this possible, but even then it's hard. I would like to Exodia him, but I don't have Antonidas so that's off the table. I either need to deal 31 from 1 or 60 from 30. Neither of these options is trivial.
  • Warrior: Just started this one. I think I can kill him with deep fatigue, but it'll be tough. He'll be at 172 life, all together. Even with a few cracks, that final Brann Coldlight burst needs to hit for a good 120+ I would guess. That's the 16th overdraw, so I would need him 5 deep already before starting. Yeesh. Maybe Patron is better? But the setup there would need to be perfect for the Frothings to get in range.
  • Warlock: haven't even seen what he does yet.
Shaman: AAEBAaoIDPYCsgb1CLkNgg7WEeCsAoW4Aqa8AsfBApfHAsLOAgmUA/UE/gWBDpEO8RG0FLwU9r0CAA==
Hunter: AAEBAR8cigGNAaQCqAKKA7UDhwTtBsMIxQi5DYEOgg7HD9QR1hHOFNEU+hTDFumrAuCsAseuAoW4AobDApzNAqbOAsLOAgHcCgA=
Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 21:42 by jeb.

More
29 Aug 2017 13:49 #253328 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Hearthstone Players!
So far, I have won with Warlock. I got lucky on Warlock and won my first game with my wild deck. Probably will try Mage next -- I guess I need to find out his shenanigans.

More
29 Aug 2017 23:39 - 30 Aug 2017 12:42 #253372 by Jackwraith

So, that's what was an Evolved Gangster, a Jade, and a couple totems, which got Blizzarded and lost a couple guys, followed by another Jade, and free Thing from Below, and Deathseer Thrall. Had two mana left to change what was a Dispacth Kodo into the Burgly Bully, too. It's hard to lose from that point, especially since he kept throwing minions in front of the wyrm so I could clear and hit again. We went through the double Ice Block cycle and he topdecked both the 2nd Ice Block and his third Blizzard in successive turns to try to stay in it, but even with that horde frozen, I had Jade Lightning for the win.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2017 12:42 by Jackwraith.

More
30 Aug 2017 11:33 #253416 by jeb
Oh Jackwraith, welcome to the fabulous world of Control Shaman. You won't be able to let it go, even when vastly better options are available to you. There's something wonderful about "Greetings, friend." I love Evolving stuff. You see so many interesting minions. It's like playing an All-Epic deck sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds