Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about collectible card and miniature games here.

TOPIC: Hearthstone Players!

Hearthstone Players! 07 Nov 2017 14:44 #257210

Continuing to have success with my Shaman Evolve deck - made it to Rank 9 last season with not too much play time.
Trying out a token druid just to mix things up a bit. I need to get a better handle on timing for when to commit to the board, or when I think a clear may be coming.

Also need to get better at timing Living Mana.
  • engelstein
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 440
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hearthstone Players! 07 Nov 2017 15:27 #257212

Token Druid is what I laddered with a couple months ago and it's pretty fun for an aggro deck. The list I'm running right now has subbed out the Innervates for a couple of the 1/1 penguins so it plays a little differently; no more big, Innervate-plus-Mark-of-the-Lotus-fueled turns on 2/3. I generally try to save Southsea Deck Hand to be my first Pirate played, if possible, because the more minions you can have at 2+ health, the better. But you'll get a feel for it as you learn your matchups.

One of the best things about it is that games are fast, so you'll have a lot of practical experience in no time. One of the other good things about it is that it's a good Jade Druid counter. I rarely lost a game to Jade Druid from Rank 10 to 5, and that's even with usually going up against one Spreading Plague per game. Evolve Shaman can be trouble but you're already familiar with that deck so you'll know how to play around it, and Midrange Paladin with murlocs always gave me fits (I don't know if I ever beat that deck while climbing) but I couldn't tell you the last time I played against one of those.

Hearthstone Players! 14 Nov 2017 08:44 #257613

Decided I'm not playing Wild anymore after meeting Reno one too many times. Highlander is the worst concept in the history of Hearthstone IMO, and Reno is the worst card in that concept. Whoever thought it'd be fun to promote a mechanic reducing the amount of combos and synergy in a game where all the skill and fun is in combos and synergy wasn't having the best day. And whoever decided to start that mechanic by making the resulting un-fun games last as long as possible with a massive heal was having a worse one.

Really looking forward to the next expansion, as I'm tired of the grindy, negative, defensive games the current meta engenders. Exodia Mage can go die in its own fire.
  • MattDP
  • Shiny Balls
  • Thank you received: 680
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!

Hearthstone Players! 14 Nov 2017 11:55 #257621

Reno is pretty frustrating. I have been playing Aggro of late in Wild though and I am pushing damage so fast the game ends around turn 6 either way. Either they are dead to some big Bloodlusted pile of trash or I have no guys on the board and Reno just put them at 30. We both get to move on with our days. In Standard, I am kind of all over the place. Around Rank 17 right now, I think? But I haven't played in a few days. Silence is still such a solid effect in the Standard meta--you should be packing Spellbreakers and/or Ironbeak's almost all the time. So many decks are counting on blocks from Tar Pit Warrior or Bonemare'd buddies.

Looking at some cards from the new set, and the big news seems to be these Legendary Weapons. But don't these just keel over to Acidic Swamp Ooze? It seems weird to have the marquee cards weak to decent 2-drops.
  • jeb
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2097

Hearthstone Players! 14 Nov 2017 12:13 #257623

jeb wrote:
Looking at some cards from the new set, and the big news seems to be these Legendary Weapons. But don't these just keel over to Acidic Swamp Ooze? It seems weird to have the marquee cards weak to decent 2-drops.

I had that thought, too. Not to mention the absolute havoc that Harrison Jones is set to unleash on them with their boosted durability scores.

One thing I will say in defence of the current game state is that it's been extraordinarily fluid. The meta normally settles within a month or so of an expansions release, but this time people are still finding new combos to exploit. Look at the "big druid" archetype that's come out of pretty much nowhere to be one of the most powerful decks right now, so close to a new expansion being released. The nu-zoo Warlock deck had the same story a few weeks back.
  • MattDP
  • Shiny Balls
  • Thank you received: 680
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2017 12:16 by MattDP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Hearthstone Players! 14 Nov 2017 12:32 #257624

Reno wasn't meant to be a combo reducer. He was meant to be an entry point for new players. The best decks all have two copies of X; whatever X happens to be when it's non-legendary. Reno, who came with an adventure which almost guaranteed your acquisition of him, rather than the lottery which is the pack system, made it so that you only needed one of X and you still had a solid chance of staying in the game, since he would reset your life total. When they discovered that the Highlander situation was not only possible but actually fun for a lot of people, they continued it with Kazakus and the Mage legendary.

And, yes, Ooze will have a greater place in the coming set. We were just commenting here a couple weeks ago that almost no one plays weapon removal anymore. Gluttonous Ooze was omnipresent in control decks when Un'Goro came out. It barely exists now. That's partially because aggro has slowed down so much that weapon removal isn't as urgent and partially for the same reason that aggro has slowed down: Tar Creeper. Every weapon in the game takes at least two hits to get through Tar Creeper except Arcanite and no one playing Arcanite wants to use a charge on the Creeper. If the control decks have Creeper, they don't need the Ooze Brothers or Harrison; the latter of which takes up a slot sorely needed for often better cards.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 959

Hearthstone Players! 14 Nov 2017 15:57 #257634

I'm still nursing my sons' new accounts along. My younger son just hit his legendary-in-first-ten-packs for Mean Streets of Gadgetzan: golden Inkmaster Solia. She's already been dusted and 1600 dust will go a long way towards crafting a lot of staples for his budget decks: Equality x2 (for his control Paladin w/ Light Rag and Tirion), Aldor Peacekeeper (x2) (ditto), Stonehill Defender x2, etc.

My older son surprised by putting Marin in his ramp Druid deck and not having it be terrible. I tweaked it by adding a Jade Blossom along with C'thun (subbed in for one of his Ironbark Protectors) and some activators with the final result being a Ramp C'thun Druid deck with the Druid DK as the cherry on top and OG Deathwing as a reset button. He's using Naturalize as a combination hard removal/treasure chest opener and he also has a Crazed Alchemist and Kooky Chemist (we would have gone with 2x CA but his deck already has a lot of 2 drops) for the treasure chest as well.

Hearthstone Players! 14 Nov 2017 17:20 #257642

That's awesome. I have been running a Naturalize in Druid builds for a while--as noted above, everyone is making huge buffed dudes and you need to clear them. Yeah, they cards, but I am Druid, man. In the late game I draw like four cards a turn on average.

I've been goofing with Marin in Evolve Shaman. The chest is a pretty solid target for Reincarnate in Wild. I don't feel like I need to go crazy to pop it in Standard, though.
  • jeb
  • D12

Hearthstone Players! 14 Nov 2017 18:13 #257646

A couple days ago I was playing my Elemental Mage deck to complete a 50 gold play-10-elementals daily and I felt a little shitty Polymorphing my opponent's chest. Only a little though, because after all, I was playing Elemental Mage.

Hearthstone Players! 16 Nov 2017 10:32 #257732

Crazy great news I recently learned. The guy who designed Dream Quest is same guy who led Team for Kobolds Catacombs dungeon run. It should be super great.

About Marin. He isn't in any serious decks. He is low statted, and two treasures are pretty good but wouldn't you rather pump 8 damage into your opponent most times?? Where I am on ladder I seeing him maybe 1 in 100 games. I played a guy who played dead mans hand warrior and kept cycling Marin. I was control lock and couldn't close him out he beat me in fatigue.

I did have one of those bucket list moments though. Warlock on warlock and me in Guldan mode. Have opponent at 7 health on empty board. He plays Marin. I suck his face for 3 and bonemare his chest and crush him with it. So deeply satisfying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Hearthstone Players! 16 Nov 2017 18:10 #257769

The Tavern Brawl is fun (and gets you a Kobalds pack). Pick a hero, random decks, but you both have a Quest to play (ie, not summon) 7 creatures all together. Each player gets a Treasure minion, but if you play the 7th, the one you have to hit is a 0/4 instead of a 0/8. There's a lot of weird moments trying to set up chests and then exploiting the prizes. I won a game on turn 6 with my double Baron Geddons. I won a game in fatigue. I lost to a turn 2 Faerie Dragon I could literally never clear. I don't recommend Shaman, but everything else seems to be fine.
  • jeb
  • D12

Hearthstone Players! 16 Nov 2017 20:12 #257772

Eh, my Warrior decks in this brawl have been hot garbage, but the Druid I played against in my first game had all kinds of good stuff. I won my second game when my opponent played Earth Shock on the treasure chest on my side of the board and conceded in shame.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds