October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
02 Mar 2018 15:46 #264396 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
I am midrange, Beast focus, with 3@ Silence and some one-offs if I run into control builds. It's listed a couple pages back.

AAECAR8I8gXbCey7AtfNAobTAvvTAuHjAovlAguiAqgCtQPrB+0JgQr+DLm0Auq7Aq/CAo7DAgA=

You can race to the face against Zoo, the Hyenas come up pretty huge in that matchup and they have nothing like what you can do with Deathstalker Rexxar to their board. Against Control decks (other than Warlock) you have Deathstalker for the long game and sticky minions like Kindly Grandmother and Rat Pack that they need to overspend to remove. Against Warlock, my woes are laid out above, but you need to draw your Silence effects and use them wisely. It's 50:50 at best.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2018 16:44 #264401 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm back in with my Control Warlock that uses Treachery and Abyssal Enforcers (got to give them their due before they rotate out). At Rank 9 now and handidly defeated some Control Mage with Dragons -- I treacheried Howlfiend and then Defiled to discard 5 of his cards. Just hit 2500 wins with my Warlock as well, so that really highlights my imbalance of playing other classes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Mar 2018 21:56 - 05 Mar 2018 16:24 #264504 by jeb
Put together as-close-as-I-could-get to my Unfair Mage build listed above on my son's account for the Wild Brawliseum. It was pretty close, but missing Dr. Boom and a Counterspell most critically. We swapped in Antonidas and a Mana Bind for synergy there, but the rest was largely the same. We went 11-3, facing 8 Paladins I think (!), and the last 5 were all Paladins. So nuts. We were 8-0, then 8-2, then 11-3.

Prizes: 205 gold, 85 dust, golden Smuggler's Run, and the pack had Aluneth in it!! All he plays is Mage, so this was huge.

//updates
Played a couple Ladder games. Hunter on Standard matched me against Paladin, Paladin for a couple losses, so I switch to Priest, running SW:Horror to kill their whole world and I run into Secret Hunter and Dragon Priest. :P

Over on Wild Ladder, I am playing Unfair and winning 80%. I just beat a Cubelock who was at 18 after becoming Gul'dan and then clearing my board. I hit him over two turns with FOUR Medivh's Valets (thank you Duplicate!) and a discounted Fireball (thank you Glyph!), Ping, Frostbolt, plain old Fireball for the slow roll overkill. My Secret still up was Counterspell--would have lost if he'd popped it.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2018 16:24 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
05 Mar 2018 22:13 #264617 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Goddammit! I was so close! I'm getting bored again. so I figured I'd try to make Control Paladin work. There are exactly two lists running around now, one with Harrison and one with Ysera. That's the only difference. Otherwise, they're identical, which tells you all you need to know about how actually viable Control Paladin currently is. So, as luck would have it, I'd get the mirror match. And when I say "mirror match", I mean "mirror." We spent the first three turns duplicating each other: Turn 1 pass, Turn 2 Loot Hoarder, Turn 3 Stonehill Defender. But it turned into an interesting game, even when I discovered that he played the Harrison version while I'm playing the Ysera version. (Yay.) But I got Uther up and a timely Call to Arms, which let me go three turns with Taunts still in play and summoning a new Horsedude every turn... and then he conceded. I almost got to actually see the most underwhelming OTK in the game!

hsreplay.net/replay/tmYDZkBAdBMsT489QYPgtn

Actually, the weird thing about current Control Paladin is that it doesn't play Aldor; once considered one of the best control cards in the game. But too many minions have important impact regardless of their attack value and Tarim kind of does what he does, only better. Then I played an emoting Secret Mage (squelched in the first three turns.) One key similarity that signaled that I was practicing in Casual was that both of them were playing Geist. No one's seriously playing Geist anymore.

hsreplay.net/replay/wxnUyBsWZszdCbLrSVgAuB

Not quite sure what the last two Secrets were (one in play was probably Spellbender; the one in hand that he passed up in order to ping me may have been another Runes.) Tarim remains godlike.

More
06 Mar 2018 14:29 - 06 Mar 2018 15:17 #264701 by jeb
I am starting to get pissed off. I queue as Hunter: Paladin. I queue as Priest: FUCKING ELEMENTAL MAGE THAT RUNS GEIST? What the fuck. I need to get back to having fun soon or this game can fuck right off.

//less salty now. Finally caught a couple playable matchups. Did you know there is a 5/5 Stealth at 5? I do, thanks to Firelands Portal from the worlds' most desperate Mage. She played her game, no complaints. Tough roll for me though, I had so many outs to draw and solutions in hand.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 15:17 by jeb.

More
06 Mar 2018 15:13 - 06 Mar 2018 15:18 #264704 by MacDirk Diggler
Ya I hear ya. If I ever run tempo Mage I queue into paladin. If I run anything that can control paladin I will queue into a greedier control deck or quest Mage or something that I know I will lose by turn 4 when they play their stonehill defender. I had the fortune to watch Firebat streaming late Sunday evening. He was running his version of Control Priest and destroying everything in his path. I am messing around with that build right now. I found out I am not Firebat though. The deck runs double duskbreaker,double horror to specifically beat all the paladins. I played a dude paladin and played 4 duskbreakers (netherspite) and still lost. If they have 3 dudes on board and you figure you can wait a turn and get more value from AOE. They play unidentifed Maul and give them all divine shield. It’s fun to play control. I like it if I have the time to play and focus. Tempo decks are kinda boring me lately. Though I do like winning. I am trying like crazy to get off rank 6 at the moment. It kills when I am one win away and then lose a few games
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 15:18 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
06 Mar 2018 15:23 #264706 by MacDirk Diggler
Here is his list. Win condition is controlling the board and their hand empties over time. Big swings off cabal steal midgame. One inner fire and one divine spirit in there not for OTK. Though you can be patient and maybe pull couple of divines with shadow visions. He was using those cards to go for early pressure. Turn netherspite into an 8/8 and the like.

### Steal your girl
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 1x (1) Inner Fire
# 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 2x (1) Pint-Size Potion
# 2x (1) Potion of Madness
# 2x (1) Power Word: Shield
# 1x (2) Divine Spirit
# 2x (2) Netherspite Historian
# 2x (2) Shadow Visions
# 2x (3) Kabal Talonpriest
# 2x (3) Twilight Acolyte
# 2x (4) Duskbreaker
# 2x (4) Priest of the Feast
# 2x (4) Shadow Word: Horror
# 2x (4) Twilight Drake
# 2x (5) Drakonid Operative
# 2x (6) Cabal Shadow Priest
#
AAECAa0GAvgC0QoOkALlBI0I8gyhrAKStAKCtQK1uwK6uwLwuwLovwLRwQLL5gL86gIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

More
06 Mar 2018 17:49 - 06 Mar 2018 17:49 #264736 by jeb
I was noodling around as one does, when I looked at Shroom Brewer (in my Elemental Hunter deck) and thought, why doesn't Priest use this like it used to use Darkshire Alchemist? Killing some dudes with Auchenai effects. I will try it out. Might be time to bring Tempo Raza Bullshit Pile back to life!
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 17:49 by jeb.

More
07 Mar 2018 07:43 #264797 by Jackwraith
TIR (today I realized) that Kalimos' Battlecry doesn't just duplicate the first effect chosen with Murmuring Elemental. After all, the Battlecry is "cast an Elemental Invocation." I'm just so accustomed to Murmuring duplicating effects in the simplest possible manner (Fire Elemental's 3 damage doing to the same target, even if it's already taken lethal damage, for example) that I just assumed that Kalimos' BC would do the same thing. Was in a game against a Secret Mage and was at 3 life. He had a 5/2 Bonemare and a Medivh's Valet on the board. One Invocation of Air (3 damage to all enemy minions) kills both, but leaves me dead to Frostbolt (he'd already used both Fireballs) and the second one is wasted. Invocation of Water (heal your hero for 12) gets me back to 27 but doesn't advance my board position other than putting a War Golem down to be killed. But if he traded into Kalimos, that's fine, too, since he was out of cards, having gone all-in to get me to 3.

But, of course, the Battlecry is to choose an invocation, so after I picked Water, I got the choice I really wanted, too, and picked Air. Board was clear and me still with my War Golem. Oh, and Grumble in hand. Not bad. Of course, the deck will be crippled in the rotation, since it loses all of the Jade cards. I have no idea how they're going to rescue Shaman. I really like Grumble but, uh. I don't think he's enough.

More
07 Mar 2018 10:33 #264848 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: I am starting to get pissed off. I queue as Hunter: Paladin. I queue as Priest: FUCKING ELEMENTAL MAGE THAT RUNS GEIST? What the fuck. I need to get back to having fun soon or this game can fuck right off.

Yeah, right there with you. After a week, I'm actually down on where I started this season. Keep running into Spiteful Dragon Priest, which seems tailored to beating ... anything I'm running at the moment. Might have to try playing it myself. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em and all that.

More
08 Mar 2018 14:44 #265074 by Jackwraith
Just FYI: The 3 free Kobolds packs are available ("compensation" for the ladder being inaccessible last week; does anyone really need "compensation" for not being able to play Ranked for a day? No. But, whatevs.) You have to restart the Battle.net client to make them appear, though.

More
08 Mar 2018 16:20 - 09 Mar 2018 00:10 #265093 by jeb
ONE win away from my first 500-Win golden hero portrait. I'll get it this evening; with my 12yo looking on, he is very into the bling. Hunter, no less. I always thought it would be Priest, but they are at 425 or so. Everything else is <250.

I am goofing with a couple of Priest builds in Casual (which is actually fun now!). One is Kazakus Craziness. Just ..stuff. Spitefu Summoner? Sure! might get SW:Death though, oh well. Prince Keleseth, sure! Thoughtsteal--sounds good. It can do anything! And thus nothing (sometimes). It's greedy though, so, assuming they don't burn me out I can hang out and play huge stuff. The other is Quest and kind of a mess, but it's fun. Tired of the same old.

//edit Got it!

...and my Shaman is also at 430 or so. So Shaman and Priest in range for goldenness in the next few months.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2018 00:10 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, SebastianBludd, engelstein

More
09 Mar 2018 04:35 #265164 by Matt Thrower
Congrats on the golden hero. Now you can enjoy wondering whether your opponent is a bit awed every time you start a match.

I crafted Aluneth at the start of the week to play Tempo Mage - had a bunch of matching quests so thought I might as well. I've played about 15 games with it now and I've not drawn it once - not in opening hand, or mulligan, or play. I've checked twice in the deck builder just to make sure it's in there, and it is. What a waste of dust.

More
09 Mar 2018 09:26 #265178 by Jackwraith
I wouldn't recommend crafting anything until you see what's coming in the next set, but ESPECIALLY the weapons. I still think they're the first sign of Blizzard shifting the concept of "meme epics" to "meme legendaries", i.e. cards that can work in certain ways, but aren't essential in the way that Quest were in Un'Goro. They took a lot of heat for the latter, from both regular players and pro casters, since it meant the cost of the game rose steeply with essential expensive cards, not to play the best version of a deck, but to play the deck at all. Epics used to be the cards that everyone looked at a janky or extremely narrow. The vast majority of the weapons hold that title now. Aluneth is actually one of the better ones. You'd like to think that Blizzard would provide some support for them in the upcoming set, in the same way that Ben Brode has hinted that Quests will still be seeing some support. But since they completely bailed on Freeze Shaman between Knights and Kobolds, I trust nothing.

More
09 Mar 2018 10:05 #265185 by Matt Thrower

Jackwraith wrote: I wouldn't recommend crafting anything until you see what's coming in the next set, but ESPECIALLY the weapons.

Absolutely, but I've got about 8,000 dust kicking around, burning a hole in my account, so I got impulsive.

Just played against a horrible OTK Priest deck I hadn't seen before. Does everything it can to stay alive while drawing cards, and plays Corrupted Healbots. Then puts down Soulpriest, plays Twilight's Call and Circle of Healing for 36 points of damage.

Exactly the sort of shit that makes me want to give up playing forever.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds