October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
17 Jun 2015 18:55 #204508 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Hate to be the rain on the parade, but I'm really kind of unimpressed. I was hoping they'd start out with something a bit more challenging and/or less random. That whole encounter is about random spell draws for Nefarian and random topdecks for Ragnaros. I played 3 games and went 1-2 and honestly don't care if I ever play that matchup again. I'm a little burned out on the game, in general, right now so that's probably coloring my perception, but this doesn't strike me as a bold, new day for Hearthstone. The only thing interesting was what came out of the pack I got for winning: a gold Headcrack, a Gladiator's Longbow, and Deathwing. That's a lot of dust right there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2015 20:10 #204512 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

Jackwraith wrote: Hate to be the rain on the parade, but I'm really kind of unimpressed. I was hoping they'd start out with something a bit more challenging and/or less random.

It's way too random and I don't see the point of restricting it to people who have at least one Level 20 character if you're going to have a Brawl that any noob can muddle through. I was really hoping that the first Brawl was going to have restricted deck-building with an off-the-wall parameter that would allow me to play, tweak my deck, play some more, etc., over the course of the four days rather than a matchup between two static decks, which I didn't see coming at all. The best part about this first Brawl is that my 3 wins counted toward my "Get 3 Wins with Any Class" daily Quest. :P Is there even any point to getting a lot of wins in this mode?

More
17 Jun 2015 22:02 #204514 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
The point of many wins remains to be seen, I guess.

I'll give it at least four days to decide what's up. I believe they said rules will change.

I think this matchup is hilarious, and has produced results that are pretty typical of Hearthstone. Lots of blowouts, some close matches, and some bizarre stuff.

I even drew a match as Nefarian when the Ragnaros player left his Baron Geddon out there, and it killed us both. I was on 2 life, and he was on 3, but played something with my "take 2 for playing cards, fool" dragon was out there. Then we both died.

More
18 Jun 2015 18:14 #204553 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
I got ten wins, going 3-8 with Rag, and 7-0 with Nef. I lost a couple of Rag games on turn 5 and 6. That's shitty.

If you don't count early/immediate concessions, I am 2-8 with Rag and 4-0 with Nef.

More
18 Jun 2015 22:54 - 18 Jun 2015 23:16 #204564 by Not Sure
I just did a T5 win with Nef (going first).

Electron (-3 to spell cost) and draw on T1, fill board with 2/2 whelps on T2 (5 mana with electron). On T3 (or 4?) I Bane of Doomed a Magma Rager into a Doomguard, which was another instant 5 to the face.

Ragnaros can't board-clear until 7 mana (I traded Electron immediately after casting to avoid a 4-cost Flamestrike), so that and some cheap Dragons was pretty effective. I sniped his last three health on T5 with a Blackwing Corrupter, and ended the match with 30 Health and 33 Armor (drew a Shield Block)

But on the whole, I actually do better with Ragnaros. I have about 14 or 15 wins, and I bet 2/3rds of them are Rag. I also seem to get him more often than Nefarian.

The "Do 100 damage to Heroes" quest goes down really fast in Tavern Brawl.

It's bizarre, but it's all I've been playing for two days.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 23:16 by Not Sure.

More
19 Jun 2015 08:31 #204572 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Hearthstone Players!
I played one game. Won my pack. Don't see the point until you get prizes for winning more games. Then I'll be all over this.

More
19 Jun 2015 12:58 #204607 by jeb

Not Sure wrote: I just did a T5 win with Nef (going first).

Electron (-3 to spell cost) and draw on T1, fill board with 2/2 whelps on T2 (5 mana with electron). On T3 (or 4?) I Bane of Doomed a Magma Rager into a Doomguard, which was another instant 5 to the face.

Ragnaros can't board-clear until 7 mana (I traded Electron immediately after casting to avoid a 4-cost Flamestrike), so that and some cheap Dragons was pretty effective. I sniped his last three health on T5 with a Blackwing Corrupter, and ended the match with 30 Health and 33 Armor (drew a Shield Block)

But on the whole, I actually do better with Ragnaros. I have about 14 or 15 wins, and I bet 2/3rds of them are Rag. I also seem to get him more often than Nefarian.

It's bizarre, but it's all I've been playing for two days.

New record! Lost as Rag on Turn 4. Good times. 60 damage by turn 4. SIXTY.

If they get Velasztraczscascsaa down early and draw the spells they need to contain my early removal (She got a Polymorph for her own guy to stop a Living Bomb); it's a joke.

I am currently 4-10 with Ragnaros and 11-0 with Nefarian. Maybe I am just a Hunter and can't handle the control deck. Maybe there isn't a control deck in the world that can handle 60 damage by turns 4/5/6. One of those things.

That said, it's all I have been playing too. It's deeply interesting, somehow. It makes HS into a puzzle, where Nef needs to get the game over by turn 6 or set up for Rag's late-game power (i.e., those flood-the-board effects need to be ready or Rag gets 8-damage kills for 2-mana 50% of the time). Rag needs to survive the onslaught until he flips the board and goes crazy with PURGING FIRE OF PURGINATION.

I have 100 gold worth of Rogue/Warrior games to win and I have no interest in it. So weird!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
19 Jun 2015 13:33 #204611 by Not Sure
Oh, I forgot about Living Bomb.

But I can usually deal with that as Nef in one way or another, and I see other players do so as well. That's a tricky one to use effectively, because you have to basically cede board position to use it.

Magma Ragers are a key thing for Rag. They're st-oooooooo-pid in normal play as a 5/1, but they make good cheap early minions, and Nefarian has trouble not overkilling them, which makes a lot of players hesitant to do so. Nefarian doesn't have a lot of 1-damage options. Wasting a big spell or effect to do 1 damage is counterintuitive, I think, and trading is not cost-effective for Nef.

Thus, they live more often than they should, and get to deal that 5 damage. I use them a lot in T3/T4, sometimes even if I have other curvable options.

More
20 Jun 2015 19:47 - 20 Jun 2015 19:49 #204688 by MacDirk Diggler
After several days with Tavern Brawl, I like it alot. I was never totally sold on Hearthstone, but have stuck with it and have played it just enough to make my quests in most instances. I know I wasn't won over because it just didn't hook me into wanting to play more than a few games a day. I do find myself kinda addicted to Tavern Brawl however. I think this first matchup is fantastic. The two decks play very asynchronous , yet balanced with each other and that's all you can hope for when you design it. I even disagree with the early feeling that Nef had the advantage. I find myself winning with Rag more often than not lately. It's been fun learning how to play each deck. I don't know Jeb has managed 11-0 with Nef... wow! I have lost with Nef plenty of times. I don't even think the key to Nef is his RNG spell draws. It's really about controlling the board with minions early game and ending it before Rag gets Die Insect working.

Anyhow, for folks refusing to get into it because you feel like you need a carrot to compensate you for wins... ya, you can just play to grind the game to get free cards, but that makes it more like work and you get stuck playing your tired decks against the same old stuff. Try getting into Tavern Brawl and just play for the fun of it. I can say this as I feel I was guilty of this mindset as well.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2015 19:49 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
22 Jun 2015 15:52 #204767 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

Alastair MacDirk wrote: I don't even think the key to Nef is his RNG spell draws. It's really about controlling the board with minions early game and ending it before Rag gets Die Insect working.

Upon reflection my first impression was off-base and you're right. A good spell draw can swing things but it's no substitute for getting off to a fast start with Nef. Open the Gates and Onyxia can mitigate Die Insect to a degree but it's not a long-term answer. I ended up with 6 wins and the first Tavern Brawl was fun enough for what it was. I wouldn't mind some cosmetic doodad being the reward for 10 or so wins, and I'd definitely prefer a truncated deck-building aspect in the next Brawl. I'd even be OK with preconstructed decks but with our choice of what to sub in from a predetermined sideboard, something like that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the first few Brawls are rigid precons where Blizzard is determining the average number of wins in order to get a baseline for rewards.

I've been stuck in a F2P grinding rut lately. I don't mind doing the daily challenges, what I don't like is having to play classes I don't like to complete my daily quests. I've been doing the preferred F2P method of maximizing gold on quests (always have 3 active, always try to reroll a 40 into a 60/100, never complete a 40 Gold quest unless you have to, etc.) so I went about a week without getting to play my preferred Paladin deck. I got Lay on Hands to add and I got to Rank 17 before I chickened out and left it there to go play Casual.

Then yesterday I bought some packs and pulled a gold Troggzor the Earthinator, thus adding him to my small but growing collection of gold cards that I would never craft a gold version of, but are too good to disenchant (my gold Cabal Shadow Priest is the other). I added Troggzor to my Mage deck and promptly went 5-0 in Casual to get my 60 Gold daily. It wasn't because of him (he only came out twice, IIRC) but it was fun watching my opponents scramble to deal with him both times. Hopefully I pull a regular Troggzor next so I can disenchant the gold one to make a Dr. Boom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Jun 2015 11:39 #204920 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Hearthstone Players!
I like the Banana Brawl way more than last week's matchup...I like that you get to build a specific deck for it based around the variant. It's a fun one...but if you aren't doing Mage/Flamewaker, you're probably going to lose.

More
25 Jun 2015 11:43 #204921 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Hearthstone Players!
Paladin and Shaman do well because they crank out dudes that die repeatedly. My terrible Druid deck managed 5 wins. Those bananas are....bananas.

More
25 Jun 2015 13:09 #204928 by jeb
I have been using Priest to moderate success. I am trying to avoid the Tempo Mage temptation, it seems too easy. Priest gets you access to Mass Dispel, which is a fucking house in this format. Everyone is running tons of weenies to die and buff, so Mass Dispel + Holy Nova is usually a crazy board clear. Toss in a Lightbomb, Vol'jin, and you are cooking with gas. Man, I wish I had Gazlowe.

Sadly, all the stacked banana animations are pretty much guaranteed to crash my shitty old iPad 2. Free wins as you dump your hands, folks, free wins!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
25 Jun 2015 16:32 #204942 by Not Sure
I've been bucking the trend and playing odd stuff. Played a Mill Rogue last night, simply because there are so many cards flying around.

Hasn't been working well, but I've been way too busy at work to get more than a couple of games in.

I'm not greatly impressed with Banana Brawl, I actually liked the BRM bosses better. My thoughts on Banana Brawl:

"because this game needed more aggro"

However, the bring-your-own format can lead to hopefully more interesting stuff in the future. Right now I'm tired of being kicked around by people who have multiple epic Clockwork and/or Mountain Giants. Seriously, if I wanted to play against Mr. Suitcase all the time I'd go to Casual.

More
25 Jun 2015 16:46 #204943 by jeb
I played a Tempo Mage build, I couldn't help it--I even had a Mage Quest, so I feel a little less dirty. It is the nuts. Turn 6 win (dat 9-power Mana Wyrm tho) I didn't even draw a Flamewaker as Dragon Egg shenanigans were enough to clear the board and apply Wyrm to the place.

I tried Mill Rogue and just got wrecked. Failed to draw Vanish and got rollllled three times in a row. The Rogue's bad board clears are even worse in a world of bananas.

I think the Nefarian-Ragnaros Brawl was probably more fun and definitely more novel. But I can't complain too much about a format that really makes me want Gazlowe and actually got me to craft a Questing Adventurer.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds