October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
27 Aug 2015 19:59 #209436 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Sebastian, that's awesome. MKnight is definitely one of the winners if the set. As you know, I like Regent in that 3 slot, but there's a lot of solid 3s to consider now, so don't feel restricted to the Seals.

Jeb, i think all of those options are valid. The environment is different in the single digit ranks than where we play, but I know Reynad tends to emphasize versatility, which Smite has for a class that struggles to do small amounts of damage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2015 01:03 #209541 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
This Paladin shit is bananas.

I crafted up a few Rares I'd been missing (out of lots in Pally) and made a deck inspired by this thread.

2x Avenge
2x Comp Spirit
1x Equality
1x Mad Scientist
2x Shielded Minibot
1x Coghammer
2x Muster
1x BGH
Lx Eydis Darkbane
2x Silver Hand Regent
1x Warhorse Trainer
2x Truesilver
2x Blessing of Kings
2x Consecration
1x AN X2-1
Lx Gormok the Impaler
2x Murloc Knight
1x Quartermaster
1x Enter the Coliseum
Lx Dr. Still-ridiculous
1x Lay on Hands

That could probably use some tuning, but it's been like a hot wire through styrofoam at the middle teens where I normally hang out.

I don't have any of the Paladin Legendaries, but I have one each of every Epic except Mysterious Challenger. In most cases, If I'm running 1x of something Pally, it's because I only have one of it.

The T3-4-5 combos on this deck can get crazy. T3 Eydis Darkbane (3/4) + T4 BoK becomes a 7/8 with a 3-point bomb somewhere out there. I also did a T2 Scientist, T3 Muster, T4 Gormok for the extra damage. Good times.

I've seen the duplicating MK as well. The first one I didn't get to use, because I already had lethal on the board when I got the second. But the RNG just flat-out hosed one poor guy. MK inspire? Out comes an MK. He kills one and hurts the other, but uses most of his board. I put out the AN X-21 to protect him, and Inspire again. Another MK drops out. I apologized.

Worse yet, next turn with the two MKs, I hit Inspire, and both bring out Murloc Warleader. Those two MKs are both 7/x now, and that plus some other minions became lethal instantly.

With the Regent and the MK, filling up whole the board is a serious tactical concern.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SebastianBludd

More
31 Aug 2015 00:26 #209631 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
I scaled back the TGT flavor of my Paladin deck such that the only new cards are 1x Seal of Champions, 1x Warhorse Trainer, 2x Murloc Knight, and 1x Mukla's Champion. Even though I played 4 matches tonight I didn't see the Mukla's Champion once so I can't say if it works in my deck or not, and I forgot it was even in my deck until I checked it just now. I went 3-1 (to put me within one win of Rank 13) and the one loss was to a non-Patron Warrior, of all things. He was playing some dragon-based deck but after turn 7 or so he was dropping a legendary almost every turn (I saw Dr. Boom, Thaurissan, Varian Wrynn, Nefarian and Ysera) and after dealing with all of them I just couldn't keep up.

Avenge and a top-decked-for-lethal BoK bailed me out of a game against a midrange demonlock Warlock, but my favorite game tonight was when I was lucky enough to draw both Healbot and Lay on Hands early against a Face Hunter. I stabilized at about 6 health, got a couple of taunts up and watched my opponent run out of gas before I played MK so I could start bringing the pain. Also, OMFG if my MK spits out one more Coldlight Seer or Tidecaller I do believe I will lose my shit. I've yet to see one of my MK's summon a MK, but at this point I'd settle for a Grimscale Oracle over yet another Seer or Tidecaller.

More
31 Aug 2015 12:12 #209648 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'd say 75% of the time I play Mukla's Champion in Arena with a board and inspire him, I get a concede out of it. It's a nice card if you have a lot of chumps. 100% if I already have Murloc Knight on the board. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
31 Aug 2015 12:26 #209649 by Not Sure
I need a Mukla's Champion or two in there. I think I didn't include any as they hadn't come up in my packs yet. Worth the dust for sure, though.

I've come to the conclusion that Gormok the Impaler is not a good card overall. It's slightly weaker than a Yeti (4/4 vs 4/5) at the same cost, with the power of "Deal 4 damage when you're way ahead on board position. Ie, when you least need it.

It really only works if you already have the game wrapped up, or if you can play it after an unanswered Muster for Battle. I think he's out and Mukla's Champion can replace him. I also need to tweak the amount of cheap buffs, because Eydin Darkbane isn't getting activated as much it should be.

More
31 Aug 2015 14:18 #209666 by Jackwraith
I agree about Gormok. He's kind of a "win more" card, but he does answer one of the key questions for aggro/swarm/Dude Paladin: "How do you deal with their turn 5 Sludge Belcher?" He's potentially a finisher past that Taunt, as well, but that's pretty situational.

I would replace cards that make your deck work for substandard cards simply to get more use out of a lone legendary. If you think your deck works with Seal of Champions or you need some draw and throw in Blessing of Wisdom (I'd recommend Divine Favor or Solemn Vigil first, honestly), then do it. But don't weaken the thrust of your deck while trying to get more use out of a single 3/4.

Mukla's Champion is a common, so dust expenditure should be minimal. I, OTOH, am thinking about crafting Eydis' twin sister, Fjola. I have Eydis and there's a weird Druid deck running around that uses both of them. Not sure I want to spend 1600 dust on a card that probably isn't essential to the deck's function, though. She would have use in some Priest brews, though. Might just replace her with another durable 3 drop, like an Ogre Brute or a useful one in this meta, like MCT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
31 Aug 2015 14:50 #209672 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Mind Control Tech saw that board of Ragnaros, an Illuminator (that was active), Sylvanas, and decided to grab that 3/1 damaged Twilight Guardian against Mage. Thanks so much, dude! Might want to check the dials on that TC-130 though.

I keep flirting with Rank 12. I get to 13.4 and die, then back, and then die. Poke poke poke. back and forth with Midrange Hunter and Dragon Priest builds. They are both solid--but everything up there is solid. I'll give it a couple more tries today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
31 Aug 2015 16:51 - 31 Aug 2015 16:53 #209685 by Not Sure
Gormok still only works if you've been building a massive board advantage. If they drop a T5 Belcher and I hadn't led with a T3 or T4 Muster (and had them ignore most of the dudes) his power isn't working anyway. If it were 4/4 + 4 damage regardless of board state we'd be getting somewhere. As it is, Truesilver+dude is how I cut through the Belcher most of the time now.

I'm not rearranging it solely for Darkbane. Just noticed that an actually useful Legendary was getting only one buff activation, or two if use both BoK. Those are the only two cards in the deck that can activate the darkbomb.

I could also use those Seals or Blessing of Might on the profusion of dudes that come out of this deck, as sometimes pinging with just doesn't quite work.

The deck works, but I'm sure it can work better. I rode it to 15 pretty easily, with only a few losses. Maybe I'll tweak it and push for 12 tonight.

I'm not short on the dust, I have about 1200 around. I just didn't think to build Muklas initially, and have been playing Tavern Brawl over the weekend since I kept getting Rogue/Warrior quests.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2015 16:53 by Not Sure.

More
31 Aug 2015 23:32 - 01 Sep 2015 01:12 #209713 by jeb
I was playing with my son's account and earning him some gold. Of course, he has some cards I don't and one of them is Dreadsteed. Holy shit this card is fun. I made a Demon-rich deck and just goofed off with it. It's hilarious! That stupid horse will not die! I got low against a Paladin--better Sacrificial Pact it twice. Hellfire blow up your board? Not the horse. Twisting Nethorsedontdie! Someone will silence I am sure, but for now it is a party. My horse is amazing.

Played some ShadowPriest too. Man I suck at that deck.

//edit

Made it Rank 12! Whew. Midrange Hunter saved the day. Had a nailbiter to finally make it against Dragon Priest. Was sitting on two Kill Commands and an Owl for the LONGEST time, but could not manage to keep a Beast down and have enough mana for Hero Power and those things to burst for 12. Priest was at 11 forever, which lets me get them to 1, but not the win, and then they might realize they need to be healing every turn. Played Loatheb and a naked Houndmaster to my empty board on turn 9 into my opponent's Blackwing Corrupter. I know they will take out Loatheb, but I hope they want to cast a fatty dragon and not overpay for some spell and heal. Sure enough, down comes Nefarian and I Owl, KC, KC, hero power for the filthy Hunter win.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2015 01:12 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
01 Sep 2015 00:29 #209718 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Hearthstone Players!
www.heartharena.com/arena-run/h45r56

Oops, I did it again.
MVP: Redemption. In the final match alone, it brought back a Questing Adventurer TWICE! That questing adventurer then used a Blessing of Kings and a Silent Knight to get lethal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Sep 2015 09:35 - 01 Sep 2015 11:14 #209738 by Jackwraith
Dreadsteed is pretty hilarious. I was playing a version the other day that was pretty heavily demon-oriented. I actually tried out Demonfuse(!) It's pretty good as a late game card but I used it a couple times around turns 6 or 7 because many of the threats around that time are similar and none of them get rid of the Dreadsteed permanently, so... I did survive a couple Hunter decks through the grace of a Demonfired Mistress and Sac Pacting the Steed twice. Never, ever thought I'd play Twisting Nether, although I knew that I held on to my one copy for some reason.

Been formulating new ideas on Totem.dec this morning. Wish I could find a reason to use Charged Hammer, but it's antithetical to the deck's purpose. Tough to use Healing Wave in a deck with a minion stable that's 50% 4 or less, too. Kind of undecided on a finisher between Al'Akir, Kel'Thuzad, and the good Doctor. Probably have to try out all of them.

EDIT: And, yeah, I've tried putting together a viable Shadow list again and it just isn't working. Too many Priest cards are completely centered around healing to make it viable. You'll end up with too many dead cards once you go to Shadowform or you'll end up with Shadowform being the least viable option 75% of the time, which makes it a dead card and, thus, pointless.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2015 11:14 by Jackwraith.

More
01 Sep 2015 11:13 #209741 by jeb
I hope it's not Al-Akir. I don't have that guy. But I think it's going to be, because the chance for 12 burst on the cheap is pretty irresistible. Unless KT is the win-condition, he's too much. He especially doesn't do well in a totem heavy deck because he brings them back all small. I think a Reincarnate deck is a place for that Charged Hammer to shine. It wants to go to long game, unlike Mech Shaman, and board control is pretty key until you stabilize.

I was getting updates as Dom tackled the Arena last night. I was shooting for rank 12 before midnight so i couldn't peek in. So awesome, man. That deck is a powerhouse, and those last three picks are SICK AS HELL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
01 Sep 2015 11:24 #209742 by Jackwraith
Therein lies the root of deck construction: "These two cards make an awesome combo... but you have to have those two cards!" Al'Akir is excellent IF you have the Rockbiter. If not, then he's a bit overpriced for what he does. If you're in trouble, you don't want to wait until turn 8 to drop your Shielded taunter. You could get that by winning a joust 2 turns earlier. OTOH, the versatility presented by that burst is what makes him playable... but also situational. I know that KT brings them back in their original form, but if you have Valiant in play, that's often not an issue. Still, it is a very slow play that works better with bigger creatures.

More
01 Sep 2015 11:41 #209745 by Jackwraith
OK. So, here's the deck of the moment: www.hearthpwn.com/decks/321182-totem-2-0

I'm going to Al'Akir because... just because. Earth Shock and Lightning Bolt are one-offs because I've often ended up with two in my hand and don't really need that. I take a very minimal approach to Overload in my Shaman decks, since it's the worst mechanic in the game. Storm is all we have, though. Vitality is an aggro choice, although I'd prefer to not run it. Face Hunter is still alive and well, unfortunately. Tuskarr is problematic. Sometimes you get the Golem, in which case: Woo hoo! /Homer. A lot of times you get Searing, in which case you've paid 3 for a 3/2 and something they can often ignore. The last thing the most RNG-afflicted class in the game needed is more RNG, but I'm willing to try it again (he says in a tone of utter despair...) Garrison Commander is a reach. Obviously, he's amazing with Valiant but he's also a great recovery tool in the late game when Flamestrike has wiped you out. Most of the rest is obvious except, of course, for the Stonetusk Boar.

The Boar is the answer to the recently rechristened "Dr. 6" aka Mysterious Challenger. He activates Noble Sacrifice and Redemption, which brings back the 2/1. If it gets Avenged and becomes a 5/3, fine. You can do 3 damage in any number of ways. Same for a Dude. Boar also tests Hunter secrets cheaply and is the world's greatest answer to Mirror Entity, since you can just kill his Boar. I've found it far more useful than Kezan Mystic.

One thing I'd love to put in is Mukla's Champion, since he's the eventual answer to mass removal. But "eventual" is the key word there and, since he has Super Taunt, it's not likely.

More
01 Sep 2015 15:17 - 01 Sep 2015 23:16 #209764 by Not Sure
See, I do have an Al-Akir, so maybe I'll give it a try. No Harrison Jones, and only one Garrison Commander, however.

My tweaks to the Pally deck above ended up being a simple "Gormok and Eydin out, 2x Mukla's in". Mixed results last night in the last-minute midteens scramble. I was helpfully given a 5-winn Paladin quest today, so let's see how fast those can go by.

Update: Paladin is clearly the new meta. 5/7, with four of those being against another Paladin. 2-2 on those, one guy was running the Mysterious Challenger and I just couldn't get started before it all went to hell, the other guy was running Justicar Trueheart, and I just couldn't keep up with the double guys every turn. Mana curve is really critical at the beginning of this deck.

A couple of games started poorly, and then tilted abruptly to end in a win with single-digit health. Once that mass of dudes comes out, it's very hard to stop.

And there's a few games wherein I was pretty happy to see Ol' Murky Bastard show up.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2015 23:16 by Not Sure.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds