October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
04 Dec 2015 01:16 #216525 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Going for the OTK with Anyfin Can Happen. Most I've dealt so far is 14 :( off two 7/3 Bluegill Warriors).

It's a Paladin deck, for Anyfin, and the only Murlocs it plays are
2x Bluegill Warrior (2/1 Charge)
2x Grimscale Oracle (1/1 All other Murlocs have +1 Attack)
2x Murloc Warleader (3/3 All other Murlocs have +2/+1)
1x Ol' Murk-Eye (2/4 Charge, +1 Attach for each other Murloc in play)

Ideally, Anyfin Can Happen puts them ALL back out, and I swing for 3x(2 + 2 + 4) + 6 = 30.

The balance of the deck is draw (Loot Hoarder, Acolyte of Pain, Blessing of Knowledge, Gnomish Inventor), stall (Sludge Belcher, Equality + Consecrate, Aldor Peacekeeper), lifegain (Lay on Hands, Truesilver Champion) and good stuff (Shielded Minibot, Muster for Battle). I am also playing a Faceless Manipulator to speed things along.

We don't want to see other Murlocs from Shredder, or their deck, god forbid. We don't want to see armoring north of 30 life. Taunts are a problem. It... It's not very good. But it's fun. As NotSure has noted, the Shaman Murloc deck is probably strictly better competitively. But it can't OTK. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 01:38 #216527 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: Going for the OTK with Anyfin Can Happen. Most I've dealt so far is 14 :( off two 7/3 Bluegill Warriors).

As NotSure has noted, the Shaman Murloc deck is probably strictly better competitively. But it can't OTK. :)

Sure it can, with help... I half-assedly built one just after we chatted, and I ran into your doppelganger down in Rank 20, playing some form of Murlocadin. We traded back and forth for a long time constantly trashing each other's Murlocs (mine were slow to start, I got all the other stuff). He had less draw than you, so I actually sat on a Coldlight for a lot of the game because he was topdecking and I was flush with cards from draw totems. I'd also used the Charged Hammer to convert my Hero Power into "deal 2", which kept the board down.

Eventually I played Neptulon, and drew a Murk-Eye and a Murloc Knight (haha!). I'd topped up my health with a Healing Wave, so when he dropped Anyfin Can Happen, he did 14 to me from a Murk-Eye boosted with some Warleaders or Oracles. He failed his 1-turn kill, but then I dropped my own Murk-Eye (now 15 charge), plus one or two more cheap Murlocs, and hit him for 17, fatal. OTK, but the poor Paladin set it up for himself. Was a great game.

That Murloc Shaman needs work. Too many cards in some cases, not enough useful. I had to wait on Neptulon because my hand was too full for at least one turn.

More
04 Dec 2015 02:49 #216528 by jeb
The Paladin deck was rocked on the Ladder, even at Rank 20. I am missing some really good cards that could help,* but it's tough regardless. I switched to Shaman Murlocs and went 3-1, and I was a turn away from winning in that loss even though the Hunter was at 26. Here, I just play scads of little Murlocs ( all but the Siltfin, lord is that card bad), using Bloodlust, Doomhammer, and Everyfin is Awesome to make a crazy board and burst for the win.

*Tirion Fordring, a second Equality

More
06 Dec 2015 18:31 - 06 Dec 2015 19:55 #216759 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Hearthstone Players!
Anyone try the heroics this week? I found the naga lady to be easy, but the other two are really hard. There's no way to gain board control.

Slitherspear- he drops an X/X every turn, where X is the turn number. There is no pot to destroy to stop the hungry murlocs from showing up. He has a 2/2 for 2 that does 2 to your side of the board, and a 5/7 taunter. Mostly keeping up with those X/X's is the issue. He has some other dirty cards like Battle Rage. Silence works to make the big guys 1/1s, so that might be an option, but you can't silence everything. The longer the game goes, the more value he's getting for free.

Giantfin- Death by murlocs. On normal, he basically divine favor'd every turn, so you could beat him by playing cheap, valuable stuff yourself. Now, he just draws two cards for free. He has a bunch of tidecallers, warleaders, and Tinyfins. He's able to rebuild his board in one turn, and I often die by turn four or five. Even if you do manage to sweep everything, he has a spell that brings back 5 murlocs that died this game.

There are a number of cards that seem good here, most of which I don't have, but I don't think any of them are enough by themselves:
Clockwork Giant
Sea Giant
Divine Favor

I also think Mana Wraith might be good to make all of those Tinyfins cost 1, and everything else more expensive too.

Since he can rebuild his board so quickly, I've contemplated the Priest's Mass Dispel after he fills his board with 7 dorks, and then just try to race him and use some lifegain in the meantime. I don't really want to spend my dust for this though.

Against both of these bosses the best I've done is survive for awhile. Turn 11 with Slitherspear and probably only 6 or7 with Giantfin. They've still got about 8 cards in hand and I've done marginal damage to them at this point. In a lot of the Naxx heroics, you just had to survive and stabilize, and then beat them once their hand is empty. But you can't gain an advantage on board or in hand against these two. I'm at a loss so far.

(Against Nazjar, all I had to do was get a bunch of expensive Battlecry guys and Reno).

Edit: Beat Giantfin with my unedited Patron deck. Got the right cards and managed to keep control over the board thanks to whirlwinds and weapons. Got a frothing up to 20 attack.

Edit2... managed to beat Slitherspear too. I used a pretty basic mage with taunters, 2x CoC, Frost Nova, Flamestrike, and Blizzard. I had 2x Goblin Sapper, 1x Mind Control Tech, and 2x Mirror Entity (with mad scientists) too. That let me steal/copy those 5/7 taunters for 5, as well as a Kvaldir Raider that I eventually got up to 14 power. He did most of the damage.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2015 19:55 by Jexik.

More
06 Dec 2015 19:47 #216767 by jeb

Jexik wrote: Anyone try the heroics this week? I found the naga lady to be easy, but the other two are really hard. There's no way to gain board control.

Slitherspear- he drops an X/X every turn, where X is the turn number. There is no pot to destroy to stop the hungry murlocs from showing up. He has a 2/2 for 2 that does 2 to your side of the board, and a 5/7 taunter. Mostly keeping up with those X/X's is the issue. He has some other dirty cards like Battle Rage. Silence works to make the big guys 1/1s, so that might be an option, but you can't silence everything. The longer the game goes, the more value he's getting for free.

Giantfin- Death by murlocs. On normal, he basically divine favor'd every turn, so you could beat him by playing cheap, valuable stuff yourself. Now, he just draws two cards for free. He has a bunch of tidecallers, warleaders, and Tinyfins. He's able to rebuild his board in one turn, and I often die by turn four or five. Even if you do manage to sweep everything, he has a spell that brings back 5 murlocs that died this game.

There are a number of cards that seem good here, most of which I don't have, but I don't think any of them are enough by themselves:
Clockwork Giant
Sea Giant
Divine Favor

I also think Mana Wraith might be good to make all of those Tinyfins cost 1, and everything else more expensive too.

Since he can rebuild his board so quickly, I've contemplated the Priest's Mass Dispel after he fills his board with 7 dorks, and then just try to race him and use some lifegain in the meantime. I don't really want to spend my dust for this though.

Against both of these bosses the best I've done is survive for awhile. Turn 11 with Slitherspear and probably only 6 or7 with Giantfin. They've still got about 8 cards in hand and I've done marginal damage to them at this point. In a lot of the Naxx heroics, you just had to survive and stabilize, and then beat them once their hand is empty. But you can't gain an advantage on board or in hand against these two. I'm at a loss so far.

(Against Nazjar, all I had to do was get a bunch of expensive Battlecry guys and Reno).

Edit: Beat Giantfin with my unedited Patron deck. Got the right cards and managed to keep control over the board thanks to whirlwinds and weapons. Got a frothing up to 20 attack.

Haven't tried it yet, but sounds like Mill Rogue could do a number on Slitherspear. The Deathlords will stall the onslaught and bring out a crappy critter (the buff is applied when playing from the hand, usually.) If they are playing Battle Rage they are doing you favors. A well-timed Prep --> Vanish and some Reno + Coldlight shenanigans and it should be close to over.

More
06 Dec 2015 19:53 - 06 Dec 2015 20:09 #216768 by Jexik
Deathlord might pop out the 5/7 taunters or a Kvaldir Raider. On the turn that I won he had about 45 power on the board. 5 minions were frozen and 2 were fresh.

What goes in a Mill rogue?
Last edit: 06 Dec 2015 20:09 by Jexik.

More
07 Dec 2015 00:07 #216771 by jeb
This version is pretty good ( www.hearthpwn.com/decks/303740-mill-rogue ). Sabotage is a little weird--I run Sprint there, because if you don't draw Coldlight Oracle you will die. The gist is to drag the game out behind Deathlords, Saps, some Blade Flurries, and then get to the meaty part of the game where you start Vanishing the board into their hand, which ideally you have stuffed with Coldlight Oracle. Once they have ten cards in hand, the Vanished board just dies instead. You use Brann and Gang Up to either gain life with Antique Healbot or draw TONS of cards with Coldlight Oracle, ideally both. Use Gang Up and Shadowstep to protect your Coldlights until the late game, where you usually win with a play of three Coldlights on a turn to bury them in Fatigue damage. Your deck is "thicker" than theirs because of their own card draw effects, your Deathlords thinning their deck, and Gang Up thickening yours.

More
07 Dec 2015 12:17 #216791 by Jexik
Cool.

I'm missing most of the expensive dust cards- Preparation, Thalnos, Mukla, Beneath the Grounds, even Coldlight Oracles and Blade Flurry.

I spent a few hundred dust to make the Patron warrior when I started out (Frothing Berserkers and 1 of my Armorsmiths and probably the second copy of some commons), and later some to get staple aggro commons. Then the next pack I opened had 2x Leper Gnome! Whoops.

I haven't bought any packs- just done a bunch of arena runs. I've only mass disenchanted 2 or 3 rares so far.

More
07 Dec 2015 13:22 #216801 by jeb
Yeah, don't sweat it then. It takes literally months to get all this stuff together. I would get the Adventures, but the rest can all wait. Arena is a good source of packs if you can get north of 50 gold in rewards on average. Work with what you got. Make sure you have the staple Commons and Rares, keep an eye on some Epics and splurge every now and then. Once you have a solid suite of cool things, start saving up for Victor Von Boom and other neutral Legendaries.

More
12 Dec 2015 16:14 #217190 by Jexik
I had some time this afternoon so I finished up the last wing of the heroic league of explorers. I didn't use a generic freeze mage to beat any of the last 4, so that's a plus. The third one is pretty silly because he steals your deck. There's a trick to it and once you figure it out, it's not too hard. The last boss was kind of rough until I noticed something.

I started the BRM heroic after finishing Naxx, and they seem harder, or at least reward you for having very specific answers in your deck that I don't have in my collection yet. I'll keep working on it, but I'm pretty excited to finish the League today.

More
13 Dec 2015 03:42 - 13 Dec 2015 03:42 #217201 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: This version is pretty good ( www.hearthpwn.com/decks/303740-mill-rogue ). Sabotage is a little weird--I run Sprint there, because if you don't draw Coldlight Oracle you will die. The gist is to drag the game out behind Deathlords, Saps, some Blade Flurries, and then get to the meaty part of the game where you start Vanishing the board into their hand, which ideally you have stuffed with Coldlight Oracle. Once they have ten cards in hand, the Vanished board just dies instead. You use Brann and Gang Up to either gain life with Antique Healbot or draw TONS of cards with Coldlight Oracle, ideally both. Use Gang Up and Shadowstep to protect your Coldlights until the late game, where you usually win with a play of three Coldlights on a turn to bury them in Fatigue damage. Your deck is "thicker" than theirs because of their own card draw effects, your Deathlords thinning their deck, and Gang Up thickening yours.

The only deck I truly loathe more than that obnoxious Rogue deck is the dreary as hell "Adamantium Warrior". At least I can be smugly satisfied when the Rogue doesn't get his Vanish/Oracle/Sap/Gang-up combo just exactly right and I can reduce him into a fine red mist in short order. But the "this deck is nothing but axes and armor buffs" Warrior who basically just sits there waiting for me to run out of cards, because, well, I didn't go in thinking it was a solitaire game? I often find myself hoping their tablets overheat leading to their genital regions being broiled beyond recognition. Anyone that devoted to being that dull likely has no need of those bits anyway...

I really dig the Adventurers cards...save one. Entombed makes me a little nuts because I really just don't see how the Priest deck was crying out for yet another "I'll just play with your cards instead" power--especially not one that is both fairly cheap and not a Legendary. I generally only run 2 or 3 heavy hitters in most of my decks, so even one Entombed play pretty much wraps my round right on up--and there's nothing quite like seeing something like, say, Nefarian coming out on the other side of the board twice or more thanks to Thoughtsteal and/or Mind Vision...and *then* having my own copy of it getting yanked off the field and shuffled into my opponent's deck just for good measure. Only thing that makes it worse is when someone goes all out to rub their nuts in your face by also including Kel'thuzad in their deck just for good measure. I'm pretty sure the chinese and korean guys I mostly find myself playing [since I tend to do most of my gaming after midnight EST] can actually *hear* me calling them all sorts of creative-if-anatomically-impossible things...

And Paul, I run a Shaman Murloc deck with some frequency and have found that the inclusion of 2 Big Game Hunters and the Mistcaller goes a long way to surviving "that difficult middle period" of most games. The former take care of the inevitable Dr. Boom plus whatever other tank that comes up, while the latter's "buff all cards forevermore" feature makes sitting [or waiting] on Neptulon and his Pile o' Murlocs much easier as that +1/+1 makes low-cost ankle-biters or "big hit, no health" units [like BGHunter] much harder to ignore. I've had pretty good luck with it in general, though I've recently kind of broken that deck a bit once I started to experiment with what I think can only be called the "Sylvannas Dickhead Maneuver"--Windrunner+"kill this minion and restore it to full health"+, when possible, "deathrattle-resummon this minion". When it works, it's a horrible, horrible thing to do to someone as you pretty much pillage their side of the field AND end up being positioned to steal yet more. That said, I've clearly sacrificed longevity as I'm finding it much harder to live long enough to pull it off than I expected.

But it surely is nice to pull that stunt against the omnipresent Priest "steal all your shit" decks... :-)
Last edit: 13 Dec 2015 03:42 by Dogmatix.

More
13 Dec 2015 06:21 #217204 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Hearthstone Players!
Well good to see Dogmatix is still alive.

I've determined I really suck at this game. Probably for the same reason I suck at most games of this type. I'm just horribly stupid. And I don't put a lot of thought into the power/combo/return math of deck construction.

Anyway, my new most hated cards, taking the place held by Grim Patron for a very long time, are the new "reset health to 30" cards from the Explorer collection. That is some BULLSHIT.

More
13 Dec 2015 17:25 #217222 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
Dog's alive, still reading the Fort, and playing Hearthstone?

How are you not on my friends list in that game?

I've been playing a lot of Tavern Brawl for weeks. It usually suits my casual nature. I've been using a "buff all the things" Paladin to get up to about Rank 15 every month, but I just don't care to push much more. The nice part is that even against Control Priests, that deck carries enough shit to rebuild about three times. Take my stuff? Cool, I'll make more. It's super sensitive to draw order, though.

More
13 Dec 2015 20:30 #217229 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Hearthstone Players!
No clue why we haven't connected--oddly, though I don't think anyone in my friends list is someone I actually know. I am, unsurprisingly, Dogmatix99 [or more specifically, "Dogmatix99 #1691" in Blizzard Account-speak]. I'd certainly be happy to add any of y'all as I play just about every night for a while. Also started playing SolForge and Shadow Era a bit. Neither is as good as Hearthstone, though Shadow Era is turning out to be kind of fun. SolForge, on the other hand, is probably a fairly deep game but it strikes me as aiming more for the Magic crowd, which was just never my thing. Shadow Era though is pretty easy to pick up on the fly and is ain't bad for the "play for free" players. Or, for like $20, you can pick up some decent pre-constructed decks and/or a shedload of boosters. I think I spent $60 and ended up with approximately a billion cards, including a pretty solid number of Epic/Legendary across all 8 or whatever class/race combos.

Graphics, however, suck ass because it's a digital translation of a physical CCG--and some elements of card design seriously do not translate well from the real to the pixelated....

But, yea, add me to your list and shoot me a challenge whenever you're around. I particularly dig the "they give me the deck" Tavern Brawls like the one running now, but I'll certainly play anyone who asks for a round....

More
14 Dec 2015 12:11 #217275 by jeb
Friend request sent!

I am always down for friendlies too. Unless you just want to kill my face with a fully juiced Tempo Mage deck or something. I can get that on the Ladder. I try to play goofy shit, so expect some delicate combo or Hobgoblin inspired onslaught. Letting me get to 10 mana with two Thaurissan activations? LOOK OUT.

Having a hell of a time getting through Rank 18 this season. Got top-decked and wrecked a couple of times yesterday with Miracle Rogue. Had a Deathrattle Rogue game implode on my iPad 2 with lethal on the board. Sigh. Have been making PILES of Kel-Thuzad's with my Shaman deck though. Had three of those, three Earth Elementals, and a Sludge Belcher last night. That's a solid board.

Sorry to Repo--I am one of those guys playing those decks that never die. I think I gained about 50 life in a game yesterday. It must have been pissing the opponent off, it was a bit much. It's not my fault my big guns were so damn bashful, I was trying to win... it can just take a while when you only have one of each card.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.644 seconds