October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
14 Dec 2015 12:35 #217278 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Hearthstone Players!
I've been screwing around with a few LOE cards in my Shaman deck that have turned out to be surprisingly productive. That cheap Murloc legendary that lets you pick a new hero power coming out early combined with the Golden Monkey thing, which I'm beginning to think is hard-coded to come out only in the last 10 cards, is a pretty potent combo....and it seems to really aggravate race-deck types when the Shaman suddenly has the Hunter's hero power starting on turn 2. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2015 13:28 #217288 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!

Dogmatix wrote: I've been screwing around with a few LOE cards in my Shaman deck that have turned out to be surprisingly productive. That cheap Murloc legendary that lets you pick a new hero power coming out early combined with the Golden Monkey thing, which I'm beginning to think is hard-coded to come out only in the last 10 cards, is a pretty potent combo....and it seems to really aggravate race-deck types when the Shaman suddenly has the Hunter's hero power starting on turn 2. :)

Yep, Sir Finley is great. My Shaman deck is slooooow, so I opt for Armor Up or Minor Heal--one of those should pop up. I wonder if he matters more as a cheap Murloc in Aggro Shaman, as you almost never want to use Hero Power in a deck that aggressive anyway. I feel like I have gone awry if I am not Doomhammering face for the finish on Turn 6.

Gotta shake out the cobwebs a little. I just lost to a Tempo Mage that hit me for 16 damage of spells in a turn, leaving me at 1. I had complete control of the board (Earth Elemental and both 2/3 Taunt Hounds. With Arcane Knowledge, I had three shots to draw Healing Wave. I missed it, and Armored Up, but they killed me with a top-decked Frostbolt. Then she said her "Magic would tear me apart." Sigh. The BM--it works on me. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

More
14 Dec 2015 16:04 #217306 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm going through weird streaks. Went from Rank 18 to Rank 13 with no losses on Saturday. Then went from 13 to 16 yesterday with no wins. I am playing a Warlock-Reno deck (still have not looked at any lists, so I am sure it could be fine-tuned).

I smugly killed a control warrior with a 38/38 dude to snap my losing streak this morning. He was at 22 with 15 armor -- ha.

More
14 Dec 2015 23:00 #217331 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
Tonight I played against a deck type I've never faced before. I was playing my mid-range Hunter and my opponent was a Priest and coins out a Brann Bronzebeard on her second turn. Hmmm. I had a bad feeling so I Hunter's Mark + Quickshotted it, only for her to confirm my suspicions and drop Elise Starseeker on her next turn.

But then things went comically bad for me. She not only ran her Elise into the Freeze Trap I'd played earlier (d'oh), but she then played Resurrect to get Bronzebeard back on the board (d'oh!), who then doubled Elise's Battlecry on Turn 6 (D'OH!). So now there were three Maps to the Golden Monkey in her deck, and all of a sudden I'm a Face Hunter whether I want to be or not. Luckily I'd drawn into my Eaglehorn Bows and Kill Commands and I frantically tried to kill her before the damned Golden Monkey came out, especially since she played the Map around Turn 7. Part of me kind of wanted to see what would happen when the Monkey dropped while also knowing that I was most likely boned if it did.

I stayed ahead on the board and kept chipping away but I was afraid it was going to be too little, too late. So on about Turn 10 she was down to 7 health with the only minion on the board being my Leokk (+1 Attack to all your minions) and she plays Justicar and heals up to 11. Unfortunately for her I'd Tomb Spidered into King Krush earlier. GG.

I haven't had much luck with my mid-range Hunter tonight so I got irritated and swapped out the Bear Traps for another Explosive Trap and a Dart Trap (purely for the WTF? factor for my opponents) and dropped the Houndmasters for Tomb Spiders. More often than not I'm unable to set up the Houndmaster so I figured I'd trade the situational buff for the flexibility of Tomb Spider. I rarely get complete garbage; I even took a Stonetusk Board once tonight because I had a Hunter's Mark in hand and I couldn't pass up a hard removal for 1 mana. Besides, Tomb Spider's fun and when I'm playing one of my mediocre decks I always make sure there's a shrine to RNGesus somewhere in there (see also: Dark Peddler).

More
15 Dec 2015 09:48 #217342 by jeb
I was playing some Resurrect decks for a while. They are tough because you really want to guarantee value from the Resurrect, which means not playing minions costing less than 3 mana.... which means no Northshire Cleric, no Shadow Madness, no Sludge Belcher, no Shrinkmeister, no Piloted Shredder--because I guarantee you one of those crappy dudes is going to come back when you want it least. So the hurt is on early, and you need to invest heavily in recovery. You also want to be playing guys that are just solid on the board, as you don't get battlecries from Resurrect. Things like Cabal Shadow Priest have a double -whammy against them, as they make you have small minions and they don't do anything when they pop back out except be. You'd much rather Thaurissan there, or Sunwalker, for example.

Space Ghost's streaks show how they get ya. He probably went about 50:50 in those games played, but he went from Rank 18 to Rank 16. The streaks are powerful. You can 50:50 your way to Rank 5 month over month. After that you need to be at least 55:45 to progress, as they turn off streaks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
23 Dec 2015 16:46 #218123 by jeb
Made it to Rank 12, that's my monthly target, so now I can goof off. I am willing to "tryhard" on the Ladder to that point, but it's a bit draining. I made it by switching between FaceShaman and Dragon Priest. The Shaman is TempoStorm's list, card for card. It does what it purports to do. You can really spin up a LOT of damage with that thing, jeez. I think 26 was my record. I'd equipped a Doomhammer the turn before and used 2x Rockbiter Weapon on myself (16) along with a Crackle and a Lava Burst for another 10. Not a bad turn 8. Still had some minions around in case I wanted to swing with those too.

Dragon Priest I put a little thought into. The curve is Midrange, with early game and late-game "humps." It has the Wild Pyro + Circle draw engine and "techs" in an Inner Fire for tricks. Inner Fire lets me smash face with Ysera or get a quick early game going with a 3/3 Northshire Cleric. Also lets me kill the opponents' tricky stuff (like Ysera) with Lightbomb. That worked out really well, Dragon Priest is a solid matchup against most things outside of Control Warrior and Control Priest.

The decks I am playing around with are Deathrattle Rogue, Malygos Druid (let's goooooo), and a new version of Reindeer Games (Reincarnate Shaman). I beat a FaceShaman with that last one. It was pretty funny. Many "Happy Feast" well-wishes were exchanged as I dropped Sludge Belcher, Healing Wave, Sunwalker, Reincarnate'd the silenced Belcher, then ANOTHER Belcher, and an Earth Elemental. He got me down to 4! But it wasn't enough, as I'd used Sir Finley to get Armor Up power early. ;) That and the Elemental Destruction + Lava Shock on turn 5 were too much. Or maybe it was the two Thaurissan activations. Or the Fire Elemental killing his Trogg.

More
31 Dec 2015 12:24 #218730 by jeb
Tavern Brawl is "Who's The Boss Now," which I love. I broke this format: www.hearthpwn.com/decks/351070-broketheformat

Not even kidding--I don't know if that deck can lose. To itself. Maybe to a Face Shaman with the nutz draw. It's crazy good. If you have quests that need wins, play that deck.

More
24 Jan 2016 09:43 #220712 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Hearthstone Players!

Nice cuts of some original parody songs.

More
29 Jan 2016 12:29 - 29 Jan 2016 13:49 #221067 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Hearthstone Players!
This Brawl is pretty weird. Every Minion is a 1/1 for 1, but it retains its abilities. It's the land of powerful Deathrattles, Battlecries, and Inspire effects. There are so many cards that are good here that it's hard to pick. I've had pretty good luck with Brann + a suite of card drawers, and then value guys like Drakonid Crusher or Frostwolf Warlord that get huge. North Sea Kraken, Antique Healbot, etc... Druid of the Fang DOES NOT work; it transforms into a 7/7 then back into a 1/1. Hobgoblin does work. I've seen some mage decks with Flamewaker, Magic Missiles, Ethereal Conjurer and stuff like that. Pretty much everyone is running Nefarian and other big dragons. I've gotten exploded by Shamans with Malygos, for example. Dr. Boom or Onyxia are pretty popular too. Wobbling Runts is everywhere. They still make 1/1's, but it's good. Knife Juggler isn't bad.

Almost no one is playing Hunter. Scavenging Hyena + Unleash the Hounds is pretty hilarious.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 13:49 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
29 Jan 2016 13:03 #221069 by Kailes
Replied by Kailes on topic Hearthstone Players!
Now I regret disenchanting my Hobgoblins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
29 Jan 2016 13:12 - 29 Jan 2016 13:15 #221070 by jeb
Yeah, this Brawl is super fun. I've had tons of Paladin quests build up and that is a solid hero in this format. Muster For Battle is pretty good when every minion is 1/1 (Light's Justice OP blz pls). MfB followed by Quartermaster for 1? That.... that is also good. Knife Juggler throwing things around, yeah.

Malygos is pretty sick here, as noted. Hammer of Wrath for 8 is a solid play. Avenging Wrath for 13 is better! But most games don't last that long.

Some cards get awesome--Elvish Archer is strictly better than Flame Juggler (barring Stealth). As noted, North Sea Kraken is one of the best cards in the format. Frostwolf Warlord is great. Inspire is a good mechanic if it buffs dudes: Kvaldir Raider, Mukla's Champion are huge threats. Dudes that make dudes are still good: Dr. Boom, Wobbling Runts, Sludge Belcher, Shredders.

Dreadsteed! In a format of 1/1s! THE VALUE.

//Kibler posted a video of him as Druid getting wrecked on turn 5 by a Priest. Mind you, he had the board and was at 30 life +1 Armor at this point. Prophet Velen, Malygos, Faceless Manipulator (Prophet Velen) --> Mind Blast for 40.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 13:15 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

More
29 Jan 2016 14:00 #221071 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Hearthstone Players!
Emperor Thaurissan also seems to work. He's pretty sick.

More
29 Jan 2016 20:12 #221087 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Hearthstone Players!
Newbie reporting in.

Was playing brawl earlier and was actually winning a match when my kindle died. I am so pissed. I think I liked the last brawl better because I got to use a bunch of cards I don't own. For this one I have mostly commons to choose from. It's cool though.

Hey, do you get to win loot in brawls? I swear I got a pack last time but I'm not sure how many wins it takes.

What's the deal with the solo adventure packs? Are they worth it? I have almost 700 gold saved up.

More
30 Jan 2016 08:01 #221112 by Kailes
Replied by Kailes on topic Hearthstone Players!

Hex Sinister wrote: Hey, do you get to win loot in brawls? I swear I got a pack last time but I'm not sure how many wins it takes.

What's the deal with the solo adventure packs? Are they worth it? I have almost 700 gold saved up.

The first win in each weekly brawl grants you a pack. The Adventures are quite entertaining and offer a decent amount of staple cards. League of Explorers has the most cards of all adventures and the first wing of Naxxramas has some cards that are still used in quite a few decks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
30 Jan 2016 11:14 #221122 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
The only thing I have to add to this Tavern Brawl is I'm glad I unwrapped an Alexstraza sometime in December.

For 5 days, clearly the single most overpowered card in the game, especially as a T1 play. It's just abusive.

I had quit for like a month, since sometime before Christmas, and just dropped back in to pick up the January cardback.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds