October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
30 Jan 2016 12:45 - 30 Jan 2016 12:46 #221135 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Hearthstone Players!
Yeah, Alexstrasza and Malygos are a terrifying 1-2 punch, but I've got neither. I had one game where I responded to a t1 Onyxia with an explosive trap. I had a lot of fun for a bit with my Hunter deck. It ran a bunch of OK cards in the format like Savannah Highmane and Haunted Creeper which had beast synergy unlike Wobbling Runts. Unleash the hounds is great when people fiood their boards, and you'll have the mana to actually play Knife Jugglers, Starving Buzzards, and even Starving Hyena + Tundra Rhino. It doesn't win all the time, but it's hilarious when it does. There are a few solid cards out there that are also beasts, like Ironbeak Owl and Mukla's Champion.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2016 12:46 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2016 20:47 #221151 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
I don't have a Malygos either, but one thing this Brawl let me use that I normally don't is the Mekengineer Thermaplugg.

A Thermaplugg and an Arcane Explosion is a great 3-point combo in this format. Wipe all their one-pointers, replace them on my side with 1/1 Leper Gnomes. Heh.

I'd been thinking about burning that guy for dust.

More
02 Feb 2016 13:27 #221442 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Mechgineer! Damn, that's genius. I was able to win a ton of game with Miracle Rogue, which isn't so miraculous when Gadgetzan Auctioneer and Malygos cost 1. It's more like "HoHum Rogue." For the new folks, the play is to put out a Gadgetzan Auctioneer, play a bunch of cheap Rogue spells (Backstab, Cold Blood, Preparation-into-Fan-of-Knives, Conceal, The Coin, &c) to fill your hand with direct damage dealers like Eviscerate, Shiv, ans Sinister Strike and then play Malygos (+5 Spell Damage) to obliterate the opposing hero.

Big new on the HS front: www.polygon.com/2016/2/2/10888192/hearth...odes-2016-deck-slots

Formats! Wild is everything goes, and Standard is Basics + Commons + The Last Two Years of Cards. Separate Ladders, Casual, &c. (When the formats launch this year, Standard won't allow Naxx or GvG!)

Check this out:

Once a set has been rotated out of standard, it will no longer be purchasable with either real money or in-game gold. Instead, Blizzard says players will be able to craft any non-standard cards they want to use in wild format using the game's arcane dust crafting system. This includes cards from adventures, which were previously uncraftable.

18 deck slots! Card Tweaks! Awesome move. The timing is "Spring."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

More
02 Feb 2016 13:54 #221447 by Mantidman
Replied by Mantidman on topic Hearthstone Players!
Very cool news!
Thanks for sharing.

More
02 Feb 2016 17:31 - 02 Feb 2016 17:33 #221483 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: Formats! Wild is everything goes, and Standard is Basics + Commons + The Last Two Years of Cards. Separate Ladders, Casual, &c. (When the formats launch this year, Standard won't allow Naxx or GvG!)

18 deck slots! Card Tweaks! Awesome move. The timing is "Spring."

Holy crap, this is awesome news! I'm as sick of playing Dr. Boom automatically every game as I am seeing him. This also means that my mid-range Paladin deck, as it's currently constituted, is going to be obliterated in Standard: say goodbye to Zombie Chow, Shielded Minibot, Muster for Battle, Piloted Shredder, Coghammer, Antique Healbot, Loatheb, Quartermaster, Sludge Belcher and Dr. Boom. At least Paladin will still have Tirion, and we'll see what the loss of Avenge does to Secret Paladin decks.

The additional deck slots is also welcome news as I hate switching decks in and out so much that I've currently given up on getting the Heroic card backs for Blackrock and LoE. Now I can have a dedicated Solo Adventure Heroic deck slot.

I've also been hoarding gold - I just hit 9,000 today - until I get to 10K so I can splurge on a bunch of Classic packs, but now I think I'm just going to wait until the new expansion drops this spring.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 17:33 by SebastianBludd.

More
02 Feb 2016 18:29 #221488 by jeb
Yeah, sweeping out Naxx and GvG is a pretty huge deal. Midrange Paladin will need to move to Murlocs. Mech Mage just retires. As does Oil Rogue (Tinker's Sharpsword Oil is GvG). Mech Shaman already moved on to Aggro Shaman. The current form of Druid Aggro is going to take hits on both the Fel Reaver front as well as the anticipated tweaks to the Combo. Danksteed loses Baron Rivendare and Mal'Ganis.

No Loatheb! No Kel'Thuzad!

Control Priest, nooooo! Loses Vol'jin, Zombie Chow, and Lightbomb!

i cri evrytiem
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
02 Feb 2016 19:11 #221490 by SebastianBludd

jeb wrote: Control Priest, nooooo! Loses Vol'jin, Zombie Chow, and Lightbomb!
i cri evrytiem

Oh man, I actually pulled two Lightbombs without crafting! Losing Deathlord and Velen's Chosen hurts a lot, too, and this is after a relatively short time of me finally having a viable Priest deck that I like.

Oh well, I at least look forward to all the postmortems about how this guts various decks. I mean, in addition to your brilliant analyses, of course. ;)

More
02 Feb 2016 21:12 #221499 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Hearthstone Players!
Dragon priest is still pretty strong.

I theorize Rogue will be getting some love in the next expansion because Oil was pretty much all they had, except for the modified funky Miracle decks. But then of course I am always surprised the direction Blizzard takes the game.

Overall I think it's great. What I'm sort of unhappy about is the further marginalization of Arena, which is the only version I consistently enjoy. The fact that every card will continue to be included will make it even more of a crap shoot than it already is.

More
06 Feb 2016 20:14 #221870 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm hooked. I refer to my kindle as my "hearthstone device" now. Help.

More
06 Feb 2016 21:04 #221872 by jeb

Hex Sinister wrote: I'm hooked. I refer to my kindle as my "hearthstone device" now. Help.

This thread is full of help, Hex. All kinds of cool advice and tips and tricks about how to F2P this whole shebang. I have spent money on the adventures without batting an eye, and even got in on some pre-release deals for packs with The Grand Tournament's release, but it wasn't required in any sense. There is a ton of game to be had if you don't want to spend a thin dime and there's even more if you have several dimes to spend.

More
07 Feb 2016 04:13 #221889 by Hex Sinister
Heh, I got to page 12 on here before I had to satisfy my urge to play. I'm doing okay so far - got about 1300 gold saved and did my first arena today with 3 whopping wins. Net profit: 5g =P

So with this new format coming out should I avoid buying Naxxaramas now? It would be criminal not to support this game with a little cash... but since I only have a bare-bones card pool I'm wondering if I should skip that one. That's the only question I have right now.

More
07 Feb 2016 09:52 #221899 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Hearthstone Players!

Hex Sinister wrote: Heh, I got to page 12 on here before I had to satisfy my urge to play. I'm doing okay so far - got about 1300 gold saved and did my first arena today with 3 whopping wins. Net profit: 5g =P

So with this new format coming out should I avoid buying Naxxaramas now? It would be criminal not to support this game with a little cash... but since I only have a bare-bones card pool I'm wondering if I should skip that one. That's the only question I have right now.

Only buy Naxx if you intend to play Wild, you might be able to use them in Brawls too. Naxx will no longer be for sale but you will be able to craft the cards with dust. If you must buy an adventure I'd get League of Explorers, that'll be in rotation for a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
07 Feb 2016 10:02 - 07 Feb 2016 10:16 #221900 by SebastianBludd
Short answer: buy the first wing. If you've purchased only a part of Naxx then you'll still be able to purchase the rest at a later date once it's rotated out.

When they introduce the Standard format along with the new expansion this spring, there will be two distinct card pools. If you want to play Casual or Ranked in Standard your decks will be limited to your class-specific Basic Cards, Classic cards and cards from the new expansion. There are also some balance changes coming to some Classic cards (more than 5 and less than 20, in Blizzard's words).

The other format will be Wild where you can play with any cards ever released, also in Casual and Ranked modes. There's been much wailing, gnashing of teeth and speculation regarding the lack of balance in Wild and its viability as a format (i.e., will players play it or will it be a horribly unbalanced ghost town?), while Blizzard has tried to calm things down by essentially saying that they'll try to keep Wild from being horribly broken, but it remains to be seen how it will turn out.

If it was me I would buy the whole thing - someone on Reddit ran the numbers and based on the number of legendaries in Naxx it's cheaper, from a dust perspective, to purchase the adventure outright rather than use dust from purchased packs to craft them - but if you're unsure then I would at least buy the first wing to keep your options open. Like I mentioned, no one knows if Wild will be balanced or how long Blizzard will take to fix any issues. Format talk aside, the Naxx adventure is really fun, you get a lot of good cards that you can experiment with, and you can get a custom card back if you complete it on Heroic. Regardless of what you do, I would continue to do as you're doing and save up gold for Classic or packs from the upcoming expansion.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 10:16 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
23 Feb 2016 18:05 #223103 by Hex Sinister
Dr. Boom HHE FUCKING DICK AND THEN BULLSHIT

More
23 Feb 2016 20:01 #223108 by jeb
I ain't even mad about about the good doctor. Costs 7, is the obvious play--you can set up for him. This is my current not-a-fan list:
  • Huffer--every fucking time. Unless they need Leokk to buff all their dumb dogs.
  • Archmage Anti-fungamethanksforplaying
  • Mana Wyrm. A 1/3 for 1 is balanced. A 6/3 behind two Taunts and that bullet-spewing fire guy is a problem.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.716 seconds