October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
13 May 2016 15:28 #227439 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!

D_S wrote: edit: Mass Silence + [Something] should beat Bolster Dummy, too, now that I think of it.

I'll try this. Mass Dispel + Thoughtsteal, but it might be too slow. Mind Vision could work, but you're screwed once they empty their hand. I'll try Forbidden Shaping too. That's always nuts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 15:57 #227443 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
I was just watching Kripp's video with the trolliest deck ever: Humility + Forbidden Healing. All you do is play Humility on all his guys and then wait for fatigue. Every time you get in the danger zone, you heal and soon he has a bunch of 1/* minions and can't play anymore, so you sit there taking 7/turn and can heal whenever you want. He called it "Gandhi Paladin." So awful, but so funny.

More
13 May 2016 16:31 #227444 by D_S
Replied by D_S on topic Hearthstone Players!
That's awful.

jeb wrote:

D_S wrote: edit: Mass Silence + [Something] should beat Bolster Dummy, too, now that I think of it.

I'll try this. Mass Dispel + Thoughtsteal, but it might be too slow. Mind Vision could work, but you're screwed once they empty their hand. I'll try Forbidden Shaping too. That's always nuts.

I just tried a few with Mass Silence + Curator, which lets me pick whichever Deathrattle minion is appropriate for the moment, and I had mixed results. Won 2, lost 1.

More
13 May 2016 17:05 - 13 May 2016 17:10 #227446 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Hearthstone Players!

Jackwraith wrote:

jeb wrote: I've lost to a Rogue Pirate deck I will let you all discover because it was awesome and I am jealous.

Discover? Hell with that. I'll make my own....

Thanks for this Pirate Rogue deck. I've been playing this, my own take on Yogg/Lock&Load, and some pro-player's Renounce warlock deck almost exclusively for the past few days and all of them have proved to be ridiculously entertaining. The pirate thief has gone a long way in teaching me some patience in building a hand first, which has, in turn, seriously increased the effectiveness of my Yogg hunter deck play [pulled a straight run up to 16 on the ladder before crashing back down by running into what felt like a non-stop stretch of C'thun Druid decks with all those huge @!#$!@#$!@#$ taunt critters that I just can't seem to remove fast enough or playing Yogg before getting C'Thwomped.]]

The Renounce deck is entertaining as hell to play but I find it incredibly difficult to do well; but I do really like suddenly playing an altogether new discounted but totally blind deck. I never really enjoyed playing the warlock as I've never managed to work any of their decks--my design, netdeck, or totally random draw--worth a damn. Renounce now gives me the ability to not have to play it any longer than I absolutely have to and still get "Warlock credit" toward quests and golden card progression. [Warlock is the only class where I'm below level 59....and it's been WAY below for a very long time]
Last edit: 13 May 2016 17:10 by Dogmatix.

More
13 May 2016 18:20 #227451 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Hearthstone Players!
Ran into an annoying mage variant; Ice Block/Molten Giant. Couldn't understand why he fireballed himself until he played the giants. I've been running hunter warper/metaltooth just to make some coin. I was down to 3 hit points when he finally drew a giant instead of an ice block and I finished him off.

More
13 May 2016 18:34 - 13 May 2016 18:44 #227452 by jeb

Brewmiester wrote: Ran into an annoying mage variant; Ice Block/Molten Giant. Couldn't understand why he fireballed himself until he played the giants. I've been running hunter warper/metaltooth just to make some coin. I was down to 3 hit points when he finally drew a giant instead of an ice block and I finished him off.

I kept seeing the auto-win decks with Mechwarper and was getting all sad about it, and then I noticed what you said here: This Brawl is a moneymaker. Folks usually use the Brawl for low-stakes Quest completion, but this one is so fast you can literally play 30 games a day (and win them) and get your 100 gp max. Sometimes the queue is longer than the game. This Tavern Brawl isn't "1 Free Pack," it's "6+ Free Packs."

Dogmatix wrote: Thanks for this Pirate Rogue deck. I've been playing this, my own take on Yogg/Lock&Load, and some pro-player's Renounce warlock deck almost exclusively for the past few days and all of them have proved to be ridiculously entertaining. The pirate thief has gone a long way in teaching me some patience in building a hand first, which has, in turn, seriously increased the effectiveness of my Yogg hunter deck play [pulled a straight run up to 16 on the ladder before crashing back down by running into what felt like a non-stop stretch of C'thun Druid decks with all those huge @!#$!@#$!@#$ taunt critters that I just can't seem to remove fast enough or playing Yogg before getting C'Thwomped.

I think Rogue is in that spot Shaman was in before this new set and the rotation--it's the class that makes you better at Hearthstone. Rogue is tough to play in general, but you had Blade Flurry and Oil in the past to let you Oops-I-Won some games or at least recover on the board massively. Without those, you need to steer this mighty ship through the game to get that win. It is weird to just let some early minion smack you in the face a few times as you set up a decent turn. "5 mana? 6 cards in hand? I think dagger face and make a new knife is the play here." That's a thing that happens in Rogue as you weigh things like Gadgetzan, Coins, Preps, spell damage, Fan of Knives, &c &c.

For the big Taunt critters, your best best are saving Saps (when able) and Azure Drake/Eviscerate. If they Ramp, and start dropping those 5/7's two turns ahead of you on mana? You're screwed. It happens. Maybe play some Taunts to keep them off your good stuff? Once you're caught up, things get different, as a 5/7 can be Backstabbed when Malygos comes out. ;)
Last edit: 13 May 2016 18:44 by jeb.

More
13 May 2016 19:19 #227454 by Brewmiester
SebastianBludd gave me the idea for the gold grinding.

More
13 May 2016 21:43 #227459 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
Rogue Pirate is really good here, even against Bolster.

I beat both a Target Dummy and a 0/4 (Guardian? whatever that card is) with it. They got close, but the combo of being able to power up the dagger and the basic synergy carries me through until they're top-decking, and then Bolster loses.

I need to try the Mass Silence one, that sounds great.

More
13 May 2016 23:17 #227460 by D_S
Replied by D_S on topic Hearthstone Players!

Not Sure wrote: Rogue Pirate is really good here, even against Bolster.

I beat both a Target Dummy and a 0/4 (Guardian? whatever that card is) with it. They got close, but the combo of being able to power up the dagger and the basic synergy carries me through until they're top-decking, and then Bolster loses.

I need to try the Mass Silence one, that sounds great.

I just beat a Warlock Murloc deck with the Silent Curator deck I described, above. He put out a long chain of Murlocs early on and I got a Deathrattle: 1 damage to all minions card to wipe out 5 or 6 Murlocs on the 2d or 3d turn. He kept getting points off me with the charge, but he never recovered enough Murlocs to do serious damage, because the Museum Curators could kill them. My Silence card would have been devastating to his deck, but I never even needed one. I won and he never found out what my other card was.

More
14 May 2016 00:31 - 14 May 2016 12:05 #227461 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: I kept seeing the auto-win decks with Mechwarper and was getting all sad about it, and then I noticed what you said here: This Brawl is a moneymaker. Folks usually use the Brawl for low-stakes Quest completion, but this one is so fast you can literally play 30 games a day (and win them) and get your 100 gp max. Sometimes the queue is longer than the game. This Tavern Brawl isn't "1 Free Pack," it's "6+ Free Packs."

I'm up to 91 Brawl wins and I've hit my 100 Gold cap the last 3 days. I've suffered through every slow, crappy, RNG-filled Brawl since their inception so I'm going balls to the wall to take advantage of this while I can. I'm sure Blizzard's noticed and the next Brawl will be super slow where you only get 2 mana per turn, or something.

Even in the sea of Mechwarpers I still occasionally play against some interesting decks. I tried an Upgrade + Doomsayer deck that beat me but I could never draw enough Doomsayers and it petered out. I won a few games with Dust Devil + Tunnel Trogg, including one against an Armorsmith + Whirlwind Warrior. I also tried Embrace the Shadow + Circle of Healing but I could never get ahead and eventually I ran out of cards. I couldn't get the Buccaneer + Ship's Cannon to work consistently but I almost beat a 'Warper + Leaper deck with it. All of the Mage decks - Nova + Fireball, Mana Wyrm + Anything, etc. - suck. Fuck those decks, at least the Hunter one is fast.

I won with Forbidden Shaping + Mind Vision even though, as Jeb noted, MV was a dead draw after about turn 5. My opponent was running Tentacle of N'Zoth and Deathlord so copying his Deathlords let me stay alive until Forbidden Shaping could proc some good stuff. I ended up with Sneed's Old Shredder, Majordomo Executus and Gruul before my opponent conceded. I also faced a Warrior when I was playing 'Warper Hunter and, to my chagrin, he was running Bash + Shield Slam. I was able to get a few stray hits in and the match actually went to fatigue where he conceded after he realized that I had just enough health to outlast him by one turn.

But I think my favorite "I win" deck is the Y'Shaarj (10/10 for 10, At the end of your turn, put a minion from your deck in the battlefield.) + Innvervate Druid deck. You'd better hope your opponent draws badly if he's playing that.

Edit: I played against a Wisp + Evolve deck this morning (weren't you playing one, Jeb?) so I switched to that. Very fun. I'm also playing Elemental Destruction + Volcanic Drake which is a hard counter to Hunter 'Warper + Leaper.
Last edit: 14 May 2016 12:05 by SebastianBludd.

More
14 May 2016 18:58 - 14 May 2016 19:01 #227482 by Brewmiester
Had a Rogue quest today and couldn't seem to get pirates to work so went mechwarper/iron sensei. Beat a hunter and bolster warrior.
Last edit: 14 May 2016 19:01 by Brewmiester.

More
14 May 2016 20:04 - 14 May 2016 20:15 #227484 by MacDirk Diggler
On vacation with the wife, so I don't have time to grind for gold. However.... Innervate plus Loatheb... Doesn't sound like much but unless they are running two minions and no spells it's pretty bulletproof unless you draw like crap. The smart ones quit if you can drop a second Loatheb on turn two.

The weirdest or most unexpected deck I have seen is Hunter playing Brave Arxher (does 2 damage to enemy hero if your hand is empty) with Tracking. I guess his plan was to have an empty hand by turn 3 or 4 and then inspire faith several archers out. Loatheb/innervate shut it down though. I would just try and pop all his archers right away.

What's the strangest combo you have encountered?
Last edit: 14 May 2016 20:15 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
14 May 2016 20:25 #227485 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

MacDirk Diggler wrote: What's the strangest combo you have encountered?

Warrior: Upgrade + Leper Gnome. I lost to it because I couldn't draw my third Mechwarper but credit to my opponent for being original.

Warlock: Darkshire Librarian (Battlecry: Discard a random card. Deathrattle: Draw a card.) + Fist of Jaraxxus (When you play or discard this, deal 4 damage to a random enemy.)

I also lost to a Hunter Archer deck running Quick Shot instead of Tracking.

More
14 May 2016 22:27 #227486 by Brewmiester
Arcane shot and brave archer and a Fist of Jaraxxus and Soulfire

More
14 May 2016 23:47 #227490 by jeb
  • Weirdest was Mage(Ice Block + Frost Nova). That takes some patience.
  • Best is probably Druid(Coldlight Oracle + Naturalize). That doesn't lose to much.
  • I one I like the most is Rogue(Buccaneer + Ship's Cannon).
  • The one I like the least is Anything(Mechwarper + Some Mech). Very uninspiring.
  • The most fun is Druid(Innervate + "Praise Yogg!")

I hope all scored some cool stuff in packs this week. This Brawl ended up being a good time.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds