October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

FFG goes GW: Orders Netrunner fansite to shut down

More
18 Sep 2014 18:45 #187268 by dragonstout

Erik Twice wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I'm not an attorney or any other legal expert, but it was my understanding that a company can't selectively protect its intellectual properties. It must either consistently protect them or not at all.

There are hundreds of Magic: The Gathering sites like NetrunnerDB so I'm sure there was no legal need to shut it down.

Yeah, I don't know about "hundreds of sites", but while gatherer.wizards.com is the official Magic: the Gathering database, magiccards.info is an extremely popular (and cleaner-looking) alternative that even has a "Print Proxies" button that is labelled as such (as well as a few other extra features that Gatherer doesn't) and makes it extremely easy to hit print and proxy up an entire deck, AND they make money by linking to prices at online stores. But I've never even heard a whisper of shutting them down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2014 20:35 #187269 by Sagrilarus
Sounds like FFG bought the wrong web site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Gary Sax, Hex Sinister, Erik Twice

More
18 Sep 2014 22:09 #187271 by Bull Nakano
This is baffling. This is the kind of garbage that happened 15 years ago with Metallica and Harry Potter. Why would a company take such a heavy handed approach in interacting with a watering hole for your paying, loyal customers?

More
19 Sep 2014 04:33 - 19 Sep 2014 04:35 #187276 by Erik Twice

charlest wrote: The more logical a response the less reason people have to be upset.

The thing is, I don't think there's anything logical about shutting down a fansite and community hub for one of their products. Given that logic they should also shut down other forums because they "compete" against their own forums on the game. They are more than able to, the Spanish forums have "NetrunnerLCG" in the title.

It also matters little if it isn't logical if Barnes is still blacklisted by FFG and the sites GW killed are still dead.

phandec wrote: Most people seem to be ignoring the Jinteki.net angle, though. This was a new website that was creating the ability to play the game online, and they were using images owned by FFG and hosted on NetrunnerDB.

According to Alsciende (NetrunnerDB admin) the C&D letter was not related to Jinteki.net or the API, they simply wouldn't let them use the images or even the card names.

I know he's not a neutral party, being the administrator and all but if it were about the images or such the site would have simply removed the content, dunno.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2014 04:35 by Erik Twice.

More
19 Sep 2014 09:39 #187280 by Shellhead
FFG might be able to put a better spin on this if they make an effort to load upcoming sets early into their deckbuilder site, so that fans can get a preview and start planning out new decks early.

More
19 Sep 2014 10:17 #187283 by charlest

Erik Twice wrote:

charlest wrote: The more logical a response the less reason people have to be upset.

The thing is, I don't think there's anything logical about shutting down a fansite and community hub for one of their products. Given that logic they should also shut down other forums because they "compete" against their own forums on the game. They are more than able to, the Spanish forums have "NetrunnerLCG" in the title.

It also matters little if it isn't logical if Barnes is still blacklisted by FFG and the sites GW killed are still dead.

Their actions were logical and rational given they spent money on acquiring cardgamedb. I don't think it's too difficult to see that since they have a vested financial interest in this aspect of their game that they want to enforce IP integrity in this regard. They're not doing it to be dicks, they're doing it to protect financial interests.

Barnes is blacklisted by FFG? How? My understanding is they don't send out review copies to anyone so I'm not sure what they're doing to Barnes to blacklist him.

GW shutting down fan sites with custom content that added value to their games makes no sense from a rational standpoint. It doesn't protect their financial interests and it just comes across as conceited and out of touch.

When someone acts in a logical/rational manner you can understand why they are doing what they're doing. If you can understand their actions, it takes some of the emotion out of it.

I understand why fans of NetrunnerDB would be upset, and I think they have a right to be. But I also don't think you can make FFG out to be a GW-like institution all of the sudden. How long have they allowed their stuff to be played on OCTGN? GW would have had that shut down within 1 hour of its launch.

More
19 Sep 2014 15:30 #187310 by Colorcrayons
I'm not seeing the relation of FFG to GW here. Joel makes a salient point.

I've been on the wrong side of FFG legal eagle Jeremy Stromberg in the past, but they don't go pricking about for no good reason. He was quite polite and even amiable when he explained that some COC LCG content I was posting was infringing, and instructed me how to not make it infringing anymore.

I'm not sure how theycould have handled that situation better to protect their rights that they paid for, and keeping the fans of the said content happy.

I feel that there are times when it is not conducive to growing the community by making C&Ds. But in the grand scheme of things, there has to be a legitimate reason for Stromberg to flex his muscles. Or else he wouldn't be doing it.

GW on the other hand, or their legal team at least, goes out of their way to alienate their community and make legally questionable C&D demands. Look up chapterhouse vs. Gw, and you'll see all you need to know about this and how the judges censure their team during the trial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
19 Sep 2014 15:44 #187313 by phandec

Erik Twice wrote: According to Alsciende (NetrunnerDB admin) the C&D letter was not related to Jinteki.net or the API, they simply wouldn't let them use the images or even the card names.

I know he's not a neutral party, being the administrator and all but if it were about the images or such the site would have simply removed the content, dunno.

The thing I don't get is if it had nothing to do with those things and it was just FFG protecting its IP, why are the other deckbuilder sites still up and running?

Netrunner.meteor.com is still going along, using card names, using card photos. Where is their C&D? I mean, it's possible that the site runner is keeping quiet about it, I guess, but it just seems strange to me that only two sites got shut down. Why those two?

I'm not implying Alsciende is lying or leaving out info or anything, but with the information we currently have, it just doesn't make sense to me the way FFG is doing this.

More
19 Sep 2014 17:43 #187321 by tscook
I've had a hard time getting people into it here, so this my be my catalyst to offload it all.

More
19 Sep 2014 18:27 #187323 by wadenels
If all it takes is one website to go down for you to sell the lot, why have you been holding onto it this long?

More
19 Sep 2014 18:29 #187324 by tscook
Hoping that I'll get someone other than my roommate to buy into it at all, I'm in fweakin' Montana :/

More
20 Sep 2014 00:11 #187343 by Colorcrayons

tscook wrote: Hoping that I'll get someone other than my roommate to buy into it at all, I'm in fweakin' Montana :/

Dude, I feel your pain. I lived in Helena for 8 years and being a gamer there who wanted to play games more than twice a year was tough as hell.

I eventually got my friends into boardgaming at my pad, but never anything deep.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds