October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Superfly Circus GenCon 2013 SE Magazine

More
22 Aug 2013 14:58 #159158 by Msample
I threw my two cents in over there. That was a VERY impressive piece of work Pete, and in such a short time frame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2013 15:27 - 22 Aug 2013 15:28 #159163 by mikecl

SuperflyTNT wrote: So check this shit out....

"Pete Ruth at Superfly Circus has posted a 32-page downloadable Gen Con 2013 Special Edition filled with his usual foulness and over-the-top descriptions. You've been warned." ~Eric Martin, front page of BGG.

That's what I like to call defamation. He singled me out for commentary when he made no comment on other, similar publications.

I've contacted him for a correction and apology. We'll see.

I'm going to go over there right now and beat on his ass. Seriously Pete this is awesome stuff. Man I couldn't get to GenCon but I feel like I've actually been there. LOVE the photo essays. You're like a reporter and I know because I'm actually in the field. Thanks for the tip on Blackwater Gulch because I just love Westerns and there aren't really any good western games out there right now. I've got Revolver and all its expansions even though it's not really much of a game if that tells you anything.

You really outdid yourself my man. There's a ton of information there and some good chessecake too!! (If you can call nerdware cheesecake. Pret a Porter indeed) I'm going to be reading this stuff for awhile.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2013 15:28 by mikecl.

More
22 Aug 2013 15:32 #159165 by SuperflyPete
No, wait, I spoke with Eric and it was a HUGE misunderstanding that was partially my fault. He got an early copy without editing and the front page image was that of the FUCK OFF from Cards Against Humanity.

Thanks so much for your love and support, guys. It means a lot.

More
22 Aug 2013 15:36 - 22 Aug 2013 15:39 #159166 by mikecl
Yeah I just saw he's already changed it. Perhaps I should go back over there and re-edit my post a bit. On second thought...fuck him and his assumptions.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2013 15:39 by mikecl.

More
22 Aug 2013 15:36 #159167 by daveroswell
Pete: Check out Eric's revision on BGG. Apparently, he thinks since you left, you can't read what people post about you :).

Eric also posted your response. The exchange was pretty funny.

More
22 Aug 2013 16:41 #159175 by hotseatgames
Just read the whole thing. Fantastic! I was very unhappy to have missed the con this year, and this helped.

More
22 Aug 2013 17:36 #159181 by mads b.
I'm sorry, but how can this be seen as anything but the usual SuperflyPete cry for attention. I mean, come on, it's 32 pages of detailed reporting about something as lame as board games. It's not even a cry for attention, but more a cry for help.

But I liked reading it even if it had far too much coverage of miniatures and far too little about the newest game about impressing a duke/king/burgher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, SuperflyPete, mikecl, wadenels

More
22 Aug 2013 18:31 - 22 Aug 2013 18:31 #159183 by ThirstyMan
I thought it was great and I prefer the emphasis on miniatures as we have plenty of folk talking about regular board games here but very few talking about miniatures. If people can whitter on about MtG for God knows how many pages, I am sure there is room enough for miniatures reportage.

More power to your elbow.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2013 18:31 by ThirstyMan.

More
22 Aug 2013 18:36 #159185 by Cambyses

Ken B. wrote: You should change The Circus into a monthly .pdf publication. That would rock.

I have lurked F:AT for about a year, and I finally made an account just to reiterate this point. I found the magazine-style report about a games convention to be way more informative than a Geeklist, or a series of short blog or forum posts. It really gave me a sense of the overall convention. What's more, I learned about some games that I haven't heard of from anywhere else because I don't frequent sites that report exclusively about miniatures.

I would love to see a handful game reviews/play sessions/reports/whatever digested and edited over the course of a month and then released in .pdf format. It's got a different feel than a blog post (or even a series of blog posts), and I liked it a lot.

More
22 Aug 2013 19:06 #159188 by SuperflyPete
My reader base covers all kinds of different gaming, so I tried to fit as much into the report as possible. I had a print deadline (mentally) of Wednesday but it was just too much damned work and I just kind of had to draw the line somewhere. I wanted as many people as possible to be compelled to read my report so that I'd get first shot at them, it's as simple as that, because once someone reads a couple reports, that's all they read and they think they've seen everything. Timing is everything with these things.

I had so many more things to write about in there, and a lot of that was board games, but I wanted a balanced approach to the magazine. From the back page index, you can see that board games outweighed miniatures more than 2:1, but I still wanted people to know about some of the amazing stuff that's going on right now, especially from smaller guys and unknowns.

Let the big "news outlets" write about the big shit; my site is really geared toward being balanced in that I want to write about ALL kinds of games and ALL kinds of publishers, from the big boys like FFG down to the unknown guys. I mean, how many of us knew about Small Box Games until I started doing articles and interviews? If I hadn't met him 8-9 years ago (I think?) and bought Dirge: Carnage in Crimson and Politiko (the original) , I am SURE I'd have never heard of Small Box. Who's going to give the smaller guys voices, and their moment to prove their worth? I saw a need, and I try to fill it.

That's what I want, believe it or not: to elevate unknown designers into the light and get them recognized, and to report on games with a methodical and structured review system to ensure that the scores we give are fair, balanced, and have a less subjective view than one-man-shows.

I don't need attention or "popular fame". I already have that in my "day job" industry. That's kind of why I always chuckle when people call me an attention whore or whatever....I talk to 40-50 people a week who I've known for 15-20 years, who respect me and admire the work I do and have done.

That's all I got, boys. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
22 Aug 2013 19:06 #159189 by Legomancer
Well done, Pete!

More
22 Aug 2013 19:07 #159190 by wadenels
Stellar magazine! Read it in its entirety, because even the stuff I wasn't interested in was written well and engaging. Never been to GenCon, but this gave me a solid idea of what to expect.

The format (little bit of everything) is right up my alley; I'd never read through an entire magazine devoted to one thing -- miniatures, euros, wargames, Kickstarter, whatever -- so I thought this struck a really nice balance.

I'd totally dig a monthly PDF like this one, or even quarterly, semi-annually, whatever.

More
22 Aug 2013 19:16 #159193 by mads b.
I was being ironic, damn you. Nobody in their right mind would ask for more coverage of new "impress a dude"-games (IaD games from now on). And while I don't give shit about minis games I still read some of the coverage.

And about that. I like the snippet of story you tell from Wreck-Age, but why exactly is the game so great? Do they do something new, is it the minis, all about the story, or what is it that distinguishes this game from other minis games?
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveroswell, SuperflyPete

More
22 Aug 2013 19:53 #159197 by Ska_baron
Totally want to voice the idea of a monthly circus magazine like this. As the new guy mentioned, it would be less burdensome if you start articles as you go and revise as you get in more plays, etc.

If nothing else, the format is unique in the current landscape of gaming news, which is kinda cool.

More
22 Aug 2013 19:56 #159198 by Michael Barnes
I for one was disturbed by the magazine's emphasis on little men. It's like some kind of weird "thing" the author has.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds