October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

ConnCon 2014

More
12 Mar 2014 18:27 #173441 by Saul Goodman
Replied by Saul Goodman on topic Re: ConnCon 2014

daveroswell wrote: I don't know if anyone else was planning on taking the Metro North to the convention, but that may not be possible now:

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2-dead-20-h...ding-collapse-n50821

I would think the track would be clear by Friday, but you never know.

Full Metro North service has been restored in and out of Grand Central.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveroswell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2014 21:16 - 13 Mar 2014 05:32 #173446 by flim_flam
Replied by flim_flam on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
Alrighty, here is the list of what I am bringing

D&D: Conquest of Nerath
Clash of Cultures
Star Trek: Attack Wing
Cosmic Encounter
A Study in Emerald
Rampage
POcket Battles (not sure which one yet)

Finally, Yuengling + expansion of more Yuengling
Last edit: 13 Mar 2014 05:32 by flim_flam.

More
13 Mar 2014 10:56 #173480 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
Alright so I'm making the trip down Saturday morning. What time should I plan on getting there? I'm basically coming to meet/play with you F:ATie bastards...do I need to be there prior to noon? Should I get there early....like 8/9am? I think it's gonna take about 2 hours to get there. Just let me know so I can plan my drive accordingly! Thanks.

More
13 Mar 2014 11:03 #173482 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
www.facebook.com/events/583218828425837/...f_t=event_mall_reply

Matt Loter: Inciting vitriol since 1977 (or whenever).

More
14 Mar 2014 19:47 #173587 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
Planning on being there around 9am or so on Saturday. Hoping to see some folks there.

More
14 Mar 2014 20:16 #173588 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
I'll be sitting at home in pain all weekend with diverticulitis. :(

More
14 Mar 2014 21:29 #173592 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
I should be arriving between 10 and 11 Saturday.

More
15 Mar 2014 09:17 #173604 by Legomancer
I'm here. Where the FATties at?

More
16 Mar 2014 18:52 #173655 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
Had a great time at ConnCon again this year. Started off by hanging out, shooting the breeze at Matt Loter's mom's house on Thursday night. I've said it before and I'll say it again. She is gracious, welcoming, and just an all around super lady.

Friday morning, Flim Flam showed up and we played my copy of War of the Ring with the newly painted minis. I was gratified by all the compliments I got. Nice to know it's not just me that thinks it looks awesome. It also took out some of the sting of loosing as the Freeps to Flim's Shadow. I got to the base of Mt. Doom but was unable to stop him from putting The Shire to the torch and thus gain the last vp he needed to win.

Later I played a game of 1812 by Academy games. I liked it but given the choice between it and it's sister game 1775 I would take 1775 without question. The rule changes may seem minor on the surface but I think the alterations are all for the better.

Saturday I was able to get a bunch of people to try out my new copy of Blue Max. The components of the game are great outside of the warping of the mounted board. Are warping boards becoming more and more common or is that just the impression I get? Anyway, in the first game it was just Josh and I and he managed to put a bullet in my head just before he set my plane on fire. He won. Then later we had a full six players in a three on three fight between a squadron of DR 1's vs a squadron of Sopwith Triplanes. The Allies superior altitude and greater fuel capicity did not allow them to overcome the better firepower and flying of the Central Powers.

Everybody that tried it out said they really liked it and it was great fun.

Played the new DC Deckbuilder with new heroes and villians. There seem to be a bit more "take that" cards in the new version and a little bit more of a game but not much. I maintain that it is a great terrible game. I should hate it but I don't. I have no rational defense of it but I enjoy playing it. The art on the new "kick" card is really bad though. I prefer Batman's boot to Nightwing looking like a spastic disco dancer.

It was great to see old friends like Bernie and Zavos and Flim Flam and Lego. But also to meet new ones like Egg Shen. Even though he got stuck in the worst game of Imperial ever played, he still seemed like he had a good time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, Egg Shen

More
16 Mar 2014 20:31 #173660 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re: ConnCon 2014

repoman wrote: Even though he got stuck in the worst game of Imperial ever played, he still seemed like he had a good time.

Now wait just a second you son of a...

More
17 Mar 2014 11:49 #173678 by Legomancer
I saw some of the gang there, but didn't get to play anything with them.

I did a write-up on my blog but the short version is that I played Carcassonne: the Castle, Ra, Eldritch Horror, Black Diamonds (a prototype), and Kolejka.

I liked Eldritch Horror a bunch (I've only played AH once and preferred EH) and really liked Black Diamonds. Told the designer I'd be down for a prototype kit and would back it if he wen KS on it (though it still needs some work).

All in all a good first time ConnCon, which I'm hoping to turn into a regular thing.

More
17 Mar 2014 12:44 #173688 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
Had a great time, as always. The return to reality is pretty rough today.

Managed to properly learn one new game, which was Blue Max. Super game! The vast majority of those older classics leave with the feeling of, "Guess I had to be there." This game is very much in line with what's going on in gaming now as it appears to be the blueprint for Wings of War/X-Wing/Attack Wing. Plus it's less fiddly and the damage mechanics are bey cool.

Also got to play lots of Theseus, which continues to be my new obsession. Still can't get enough of it.

Great to see all my favorite people in one place, but it's always great to meet new people from here who fit right in. Let me tell you that EggShen is that guy. He's one of those impossible not to like guys. Hope he makes it out to more stuff like this in the future!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
17 Mar 2014 14:19 #173693 by el_skootro
Replied by el_skootro on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
Great con all around.

Thanks Repoman for teaching Pax Profriana. A fun game. I just wish some of the cards were a bit more historically researched. ;)

And that game of Imperial was cursed from the start. A three hour prelude and three rules intros before setting us up directly in competition with the Loter show. Them's tough odds.

Skooter

More
17 Mar 2014 21:10 #173721 by Saul Goodman
Replied by Saul Goodman on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
It's true - that game of Imperial 2030 was just rough. Great to meet EggShen though - super nice dude that makes a hell of a gimlet!
Once again, it was a great weekend playing games and cracking jokes with top notch folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
18 Mar 2014 12:04 #173759 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: ConnCon 2014
I think I managed to play a couple games this year...

Played a lot of Robinson Crusoe between the con and Sauls house on Monday; We kicked King Kongs ass, got demolished by cannibals, and exercised the fuck out of the cursed island.

In 1775 Jay and I got delivered a major ass kicking from B Styles and Josh. But then we beat them up so it was alright.

Rampage is great.

Shadow Hunters is still one of my favorite games of all time.

And I think that's it.

I got about 50 people to tell that game of Imperial "fuck you" real loud.

There are a couple videos of Pretty Pretty Princess out there, I dunno how to link the one I have from Facebook, so I need to eventually reupload it to youtube I guess. I had a real live talented trumpet player, shirtless manslaves, and LOTS of plastic bottle tequila.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds