October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Fun or Interesting Ideas for a small Con

More
02 Apr 2014 10:42 - 02 Apr 2014 12:18 #174911 by Ska_baron
Hey there -

So I'm holding my third "JonCon" convention where I get my friends together to game. Good time to learn new games and break out old favorites. Won't pull out the TI3s (those get separate days to enjoy) and I include those game-loving spouses as well. This year I'll probably top out around 12 total.

So I'm looking for suggestions or ideas of things you've seen or done at conventions that might be fun for a group like this.

Here's what we've done or are doing new this year:

Battleball tournament - We've done this every time. We actually pair everyone up into teams and then have teams play against each other in single elimination until there's one team left who must then turn on each other in a final game because there can only be one winner. We also award a trophy that my wife makes. This is a great event because I usually pair people who dont see each other as often and they can work together to coach their team. Enough game to be interesting, enough dice rolling to create stand up and shout moments.

Leaderboard - Tried this once before and it will be returning. Basically every game (including BattleBall, which is worth double points) is worth points based on number of players - for a five player game, the person who comes in first gets 5 points on down to last place getting 1 point. My longer games (like AoE3, Wallenstein, BSG) are worth twice as many to compensate for those busting out Love Letter. Everyone's here for a fun time so it's not like folks are flying through games just to win points. I'll buy a new game (last year it was Forbidden Island) that the winner gets. This year I'm thinking of giving away Smash Up or King of Tokyo - something light and fun that anyone would want to win.

Magical Athlete Game Swap - This is a new one this year. So those interested will bring in a used game they have to contribute as an entry fee. Also allowing those who want to participate but dont have as many games to bring a new one. Then we'll play as many games of MA as needed so that everyone's participated equally. Highest in points gets to pick first of the games contributed and on down. Folks get to get rid of shelf toads (which may or may not actually be good) and we get to play competitive MA - which has been a huge hit with all who've played it.

So that's about it - any new ideas or suggestions to change what I've listed would be great!

EDIT- Also for the first time, we'll be playing at least one game each of Two Rooms and a Boom and Werewolf!
Last edit: 02 Apr 2014 12:18 by Ska_baron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2014 11:00 #174912 by charlest
If you have 11+ you may want to have a big game of Two Rooms and a Boom. The retail version won't be released until end of summer, but the print 'n play should still be available. It's a bit social deduction/party and everyone I've ever played it with has had a blast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
02 Apr 2014 11:59 #174916 by Ska_baron
Thanks!

I totally forgot to mention that yes, after playing with my family over the holidays, we will be playing at least one game each of Two Rooms and a Boom and Werewolf!

Any suggested roles to use with 12-14 for Two Rooms?

More
02 Apr 2014 13:32 #174922 by charlest

Ska_baron wrote: Thanks!

I totally forgot to mention that yes, after playing with my family over the holidays, we will be playing at least one game each of Two Rooms and a Boom and Werewolf!

Any suggested roles to use with 12-14 for Two Rooms?

I'd definitely throw in:

Shy Guy
Criminal
Psychologist

After that it's up to you. We love Grey roles, and like to have Sniper/Target/Decoy games, as well as well as MI6 and some of the others.

It's been a few months since I've last played so my memory is a bit hazy, but we've used probably 3/4ths of the roles now.

More
02 Apr 2014 14:21 #174925 by repoman
Sounds like a perfect time to break out Formula De.

More
02 Apr 2014 14:50 #174926 by RobertB
If you're doing prizes for points, I'd recommend throwing in a last-place prize. My current brain cramp is stopping me from coming up with a good prize, though.

More
02 Apr 2014 15:26 #174928 by Ska_baron
repo - a game I've been looking at for a while and think it'd be perfect. Probably won't get it this time around but perhaps next time.

RobertB - I like this idea. My first thought is some sort of lighthearted "badge of shame" but not sure how best to strike the balance given that some attending are very light gamers.

Another similar idea I had but not fully thought out was having Titles - in the form of a button maybe. (my inspiration coming from the end of multiplayer Golden Eye which a lot of us used to play, but I'm sure exist in some form in online shooters nowadays). So you could earn the Titles "Mostly harmless" if you got blown out in a game by everyone else. Or "Frenemy" for pulling off a good backstab. Or "Luck Son of a" by rolling against the odds and succeeding. Likely too much effort for the pay off, but a thought I'd had.

More
02 Apr 2014 15:53 #174929 by VonTush
Get some 2"x4" studs, cut to size and make a giant Jenga set.

Living Room Tumbling Dice using various tables, chairs, platforms and those giant foam dice.

Yeah...I'm all about taking something and making is bigger.

More
04 Apr 2014 00:53 #175014 by trif
I ran a birthday party con and did a version of Sid Sackson's Haggle - it gives the players something to do in between games.

More
04 Apr 2014 09:34 #175023 by charlest
You could also do the Game Show version of Wits and Wagers that's popular at cons. It's basically team Wits and Wagers where someone acts as host and really hams it up.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds