October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

The F:AT Career Network

More
19 Feb 2015 15:49 #197991 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic The F:AT Career Network

Gary Sax wrote: We'd ideally like to move to the Pacific Northwest, West or Mountain West. But we'd also move a lot of other places that aren't in the south or large city... I'll probably be on the market fairly broadly next year. I'll probably even apply international, since my work plays pretty well across countries. Who fucking knows what will happen, though, when every job opening has 75-200 applications.

Sometimes I wish I had a regular job where I could just pick a region or town first and job second rather than just let the job dictate exactly where I live. Living in Lubbock is not so great.

I've never heard anything good about Lubbock.

Good luck, btw. The interviewing/searching process can be exhausting. Are you and your spouse in different departments or the same?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2015 16:54 #197994 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic The F:AT Career Network
Same department, different subfields/specialities, though. I've never been able to figure out if that's good or bad. If we got the right offer in the right place she might be willing to get out of the business entirely or take a non-TT.

Man, that felt good to talk about, you have to be so cagey about every element of this crap. Of course someone could track me down through my pseudonym or whatever, but it's unlikely they'd ever bother. You guys get to be my anonymous sounding board for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

More
21 Feb 2015 00:32 #198059 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic The F:AT Career Network
Tenure track academics is so hard, man. Best of luck.

If you're looking at Mountain West places and want to talk about quality of life, drop me a line. I've lived in a few college towns, and know people all over.

BTW, if any FATties out there are fairly seasoned Java programmers (or Linux/network jockeys, or CSEs) and want to live in family-friendly Idaho instead of someplace more crowded, get in touch. I've been half-joking to my company that we should be handing out flyers in San Jose preschool parking lots.

More
22 Feb 2015 00:27 #198084 by Space Ghost

Not Sure wrote: Tenure track academics is so hard, man. Best of luck.

This is definitely true. It's exhausting with a bunch of bullshit wrapped up with it. I've never been around people who argue so forcefully about stuff that has no real impact on anything. I hate faculty meetings.

More
22 Feb 2015 08:46 #198089 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic The F:AT Career Network

Space Ghost wrote:

Not Sure wrote: Tenure track academics is so hard, man. Best of luck.

This is definitely true. It's exhausting with a bunch of bull.poo wrapped up with it. I've never been around people who argue so forcefully about stuff that has no real impact on anything. I hate faculty meetings.

I got tenure about five years ago, and can relate to this SO HARD. Right now I'm on a two year leave of absence and wondering if I still want to be an academic. Then I read about everyone getting laid off or doing sales and decide I can stick it out for seventeen more years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Feb 2015 12:01 #198163 by Space Ghost
If you can make it through the tenure process, then it really is hard to beat the job. It is decent enough money, and it is the closest thing to being self-employed while having a guaranteed paycheck. You just have to make sure that your self-esteem can take a beating through the publication process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Feb 2015 12:14 - 23 Feb 2015 12:16 #198166 by Gary Sax
Yeah, tenure is the thing. Stressful as fuck because journal acceptance rates have dropped precipitously in our discipline in the last 5 years or so. My wife probably won't get tenure, which is its own crazy stressful ball of wax. I'm looking better for it. This job especially when you aren't a great fit for it makes you feel like a bad/not worthwhile person. Like you guys said, ego and self esteem get wrapped up in your job in an almost unparalleled way.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2015 12:16 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Jul 2015 14:15 #206674 by Turek
Replied by Turek on topic The F:AT Career Network
Hi, anyone call tell me how much it costs (on average) to develop an website for small business in US?
My cousin in Chicago asked me to make him one, of course it should be great looking, responsive, with cms (and cheap).
I don't want to overshot with my price but on the other hand I don't like him enough to give him deal of the lifetime :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
07 Dec 2015 13:38 - 07 Dec 2015 13:41 #216804 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The F:AT Career Network
A week ago today, I put in notice at my current job. At the time, it seemed like the right choice. I've never been happy with this job, but I took the offer because I was running out of money at the end of a 10-month job search. My take-home pay is $1,000 less than what I made at my previous job, so I have struggled intermittently with insomnia due to worries about cash flows. It gradually became apparent that my boss is an indecisive micro-managing perfectionist, which meant endless and often petty revisions on projects that made for long hours and many missed deadlines. Last Monday, my boss showed up in a pissy mood and a simple misunderstanding on his part turned into a loud and profane argument, followed by my letter of resignation.

He quickly regretted his actions and asked me to stay, but I decided that this was the time to confess that I had been looking for a new job already. My stealth job search had been hampered on several occasions by my work hours, and I anticipated that the next few months would involve a lot of long days and ongoing bullying. So it seemed logical to resign instead and then go full-tilt with the job search. Our current understanding is that I will keep working here until I find a job or he finds my replacement. Obviously it would have been safer to grovel for forgiveness and cling to the job until I got an offer somewhere, but this job has been crushing my soul.

Last Tuesday, I did a decent phone interview with the person who would report to me if I got that job. Last Thursday, I did nearly three hours of interviewing at their office. The first interview was with the CFO, who supervises the hiring manager (the treasurer). That interview went so well that he gave me some valuable advice about things that I should emphasize in the next interview. That interview was with the hiring manager, the general manager, the subordinate, and two other people, because this company likes to do a big team interview. Thanks to the advice of the CFO, I did a great job in the team interview. That night, I sent thank-you emails to the three people that gave me their email addresses, including the CFO and the hiring manager. And I have been waiting anxiously ever since. I know that they are in a hurry to hire somebody, but the treasurer is overly worried about hiring someone who knows their obscure accounting software. The CFO agreed with me that it wouldn't be a serious issue, because when I was in public accounting, they used to send me out to client office to prepare their financial statements on client computers with client software. So I'm quick to learn new software. This would be a good job with a good company in a great location. The compensation would fall a little short of my target, but would be a big improvement compared to my current job.

On the downside, my current boss will be interviewing candidates later this week, and possibly making a decision by Friday. Best case scenario would be three more weeks of employment here, including someone giving two weeks notice and then training with me for a week. Realistically, I am sure that I will be gone before Christmas. And if I don't get the offer from that one company, I don't have anything else lined up. Hopefully I can at least get some temp work soon.

Besides anxiety about the future, it is driving me nuts today that my renter had such an easy job search. When he lost his job in July of 2014, they gave him six months of severance pay. He decided to take a year off from working, coasting for six months on severance pay and then six months on unemployment checks. During that time, he took three vacations, including one to Hawaii, just so he could finish a bucket list item of visiting all 50 states before his 50th birthday. After his unemployment ran out, he signed up with two agencies and answered a few ads. A few weeks later, he landed a 12-week temp job. A couple of weeks after that wrapped up, he landed another temp job with the same company, and this one is temp-to-perm. If all goes as expected, he will end up with a permanent job that will pay $10,000 per year more than he thought he could make. Meanwhile, I have spent 19 out of the last 27 months searching for a job, or least a better job. It feels ridiculously unfair, but I understand that life isn't particularly fair.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2015 13:41 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD

More
07 Dec 2015 13:44 #216806 by Black Barney
Some people get lucky, others do not. You stress out over job security and financial security, as I do, and your renter doesn't.

More
07 Dec 2015 13:56 #216810 by Gary Sax
Definitely don't second guess yourself on quitting, even if this particular job interview doesn't pan out with an offer. Getting yelled at at work is not worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Shellhead, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds