October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Mr. White Goes to Chicago (Riot Fest)

More
21 Sep 2016 14:58 #234685 by jpat
Sure, *this* is the year it didn't rain during or (much if any) before. The last two years, my wife, stepson, and I went and surrendered to the mud.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2016 16:48 #234700 by Michael Barnes
Wel, according to Danzig at their first reunion show, punk was "about fucking people up and getting fucked up"...he is such a buffoon. When I met Jerry Only, he handed me his bass (which about broke my back), threw his colossal arm around my shoulder and sang "Hound Dog". Then he hugged my girlfriend and I was afraid she would get stuck in the muscles. He was really kind, gracious, and had a lovable "aw shucks" demeanor. When I met Danzig, he grimaced at me and acted like signing a record (the first one) was a significant inconvenience. So not surprised by all of that.

I would actually be sort of disappointed to see a Morrissey show if he didn't leave in a tiff.

More
21 Sep 2016 18:37 #234717 by Shellhead
That Riot Fest band list sounds great, but I would rather see just one of those bands in their prime than all of them at this point in time. I also prefer small venues to big festival scenes.

More
21 Sep 2016 18:50 #234721 by Michael Barnes
Remember when we were kids in the 80s and they would have those "Golden Oldies" festivals where you could go see like Jan & Dean, The Lovin' Spoonful, and Steppenwolf or whatever?

That's what these kinds of shows are now. That stuff was 25, 30 years old then. Now, these bands we like are 25, 30 years past their peak. WE ARE GETTING OLD.

I've actually only been to a couple of music festivals, I think it is a horrendous way to see a band you really love. It's fine for stuff you kind of halfway care about. But like I remember seeing the Stone Roses at one of these things and it was like 500 people there to see them and then 5,000 there to stand nodding their head with a Michelob in their hand, talking the entire time. And then doofy sorority girls acting "soulful" and "grooving" to the music. Awful.

I did go to one where I got to see Al Green and The Cult on the same bill, that was pretty good. I just missed one this weekend in Atlanta that we almost went to, but I decided that I would rather see The Killers and Chrvches on their own rather than in a field with 50,000 people.

More
21 Sep 2016 21:45 - 21 Sep 2016 22:12 #234736 by Mr. White
So, i live in a town that puts on some sort of fest every other month, but I've been to none. Like I said up thread they generally aren't my thing. I may go to an after show or something related to an event, but yeah, I'm like you guys....I'll take a smaller venue.

This actually ended up because I just wanted to get out of town and floated the idea of visiting my buddy in NYC and catch The Specials. Turned out a perfect storm of him wanting out of town too, this Misfits thing being announced, saw The Specials were also on the bill, so we tagged up in Chicago.

It was cool. We took in a Cubs game missing many Friday acts as most of what we wanted to see was on Saturday and Sunday. We'd get up and run 5 miles along Lake Michigan every morning. Go out for good food and drink. Generally had a great time hanging out in Chicago away from work and families for a bit. Well worth it.

But yeah, the festival was great for seeing a bunch of bands I sorta care about, but never was interested enough to go see when they'd come through: The Vandals, Descendants, Smoking Popes, The Hold Steady, Bob Mould, and Bad Religion are good candidates here.

Or bands that were totally off my radar and I would never have caught: F*cked Up, Death Grips, Bleached, Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies

For others it was good to see them in a 'this could probably be the last time' sort of way: The Specials, Social Distortion, The Toasters, Morrissey and maybe even the Misfits (there was a little FOMO).

I will generally always try to catch the Swingin' Utters when possible. The Clash, Ramones, and Co were a little before my time, but the Utters are my Clash and The Slackers my Specials. I'll catch either of those when possible, and have seen both more times than I can count. They are a good parameter on aging though...checking in with them every other year or so has an interest effect on the psyche.

Regarding catching bands in their prime...well, one that's not an option anymore for a lot of them, but beyond that I feel that's a more interesting concept than perhaps I once did. I think Tiger Army's 2016 release is the best one Nick's ever done, that and his solo album. So, even though he came out and did the heavy initial touring in the 90s, does that mean he's past his prime? Granted he played mostly older cuts, but I think that's probably because "here's another country ballad" isn't exactly what festival goers wanted to hear last weekend...

But let's even take the Misfits. Between Denver and Chicago they probably played in front of more people,and made more money, than they ever did during their original years combined. That Crimson Ghost skull is on everything these days. I'd bet Jerry would say they're in their prime now and, damn, imagine how cool it would be if your 60s blew the door off your 20s!

EDIT: No way would my wife or kids want any part of a three day festival. Another reason I don't do these locally and a great push to go out of town.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 22:12 by Mr. White.

More
21 Sep 2016 22:03 #234737 by Michael Barnes
Damn, Death Grips was on that bill? Did you see them? I bet they are really good live...when they actually show up and don't do something like show a Windows BSOD on a screen for an hour.

I've only seen a couple of shows where it felt like a band was at their absolute prime time. One was, oddly, Living Colour sometime in like 1990 or 1991. Another was Interpol after their first record came out. And The Faint on the first "Danse Macabre" tour. TV On the Radio's "Dear Science" tour.

And most definitely LCD Soundsystem right before he quit.

Oh...and Gang of Four in 2005, I don't think I've ever seen a band play so ferociously. I was thinking the whole time that there was no way they were this good even in 1980, 1981.

But yeah, most of this grown folks music...you just kind of catch the tail end of it...seeing these old bands really isn't the same as seeing a young, hungry and idealistic band.

More
21 Sep 2016 22:06 - 21 Sep 2016 22:52 #234738 by Mr. White
Side Conversation:

When are rap artists going to be held accountable for misogyny and such? There was this white kid there, Pouya, and had the lyrics he was spitting come from a punk band would they be invited to play? I dunno...

This isn't targeted at hip hop in general, but there does seem to be a little bit of immunity there. Leftover Crack on one stage with their big message of acceptance and two stages down it's:

"We working for certain she jerking the dick
Spread the booty hole and put the fingers in the clit real shit
Take it out she gon lick that shit then spit on the dick
Exit then she clean that shit with her own damn lips"

It was dumb. I felt bad for every 15 year old girl that walked by.

But again, I'm an old bastard....
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 22:52 by Mr. White.

More
21 Sep 2016 22:26 - 21 Sep 2016 22:28 #234741 by Mr. White
Young and hungry is always an easy period to select as being in a prime. The early H20, Avail, and Swingin Utter shows are some of the most memorable live performances I've been a part of. At the same time, they were probably when the bands were struggling most. Granted, they had passion to spare, but it was easy for me to check out afterward...while they were wondering if they were gonna have enough gas to get to the next town...

I think prime is somewhere where passion and sustainability meet and both are at a solid level.. That'd be my guess anyway.

Using the above as a guideline, I'd say Rancid during '.....And Out Come the Wolves', Gaslight Anthem during the ''59 Sound' tour, The Sword with 'Gods of the Earth', Bosstones with 'Don't Know How to Party'...ha! the Bosstones...by and large did that third wave of ska end up as the lamest scene to come up? Did we really need to listen to those Skankin' Pickle records?
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 22:28 by Mr. White.

More
21 Sep 2016 22:36 #234743 by Gary Sax
^Definitely. I think people vastly overestimate super early live shows by bands that turn out the legendary. My guess is that they are largely unprofessional and pretty shambolic. Which can be charming but the bands are probably better later live.

More
21 Sep 2016 22:37 #234744 by Michael Barnes
Skankin' Pickle...good grief. That's a band I thought I'd never hear of again.

Misogyny is, whether we choose to believe so or not, the most widely accepted and enculturated form for prejudice and exclusion there is. More so than racism even. So much misogyny gets ignored and so much of it is around all the time I think what happens is that some of it just gets missed. Even when it is up front.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of 15 year girls that are listening to those kinds of lyrics and think there isn't anything negative or wrong about them...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds