October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

One day at Gen Con 2017

More
20 Aug 2017 18:22 #252705 by hotseatgames
After having not attended Gen Con for 2 years, I decided to do a single day this year. Early Saturday, I struck out for Indianapolis. It was my intent to see as much as I could of the dealer hall. Yesterday I walked approximately 25,000 steps. My legs are ready to secede.

While I expected a huge crowd, I really didn't feel like it was that crowded. Perhaps moving certain things to Lucas Oil Stadium alleviated that. I never even made it over there to see it.

I purchased two games; Bemused, and Centauri Saga, which is a cooperative space 4x game that seems like it has potential. It was cheap so I took a chance. Having already played Bemused, I knew it was a winner.

I watched part of a demo of The Thing. The prototype looks good, and I am cautiously optimistic that this game will be good. It was hard to hear, but it seemed like there is a rotating position of "Captain", and you nominate people for "missions" similar to Resistance. At first I was thinking, I already have Resistance, why would I need this? But the nature of the game, trying to obtain equipment, doing blood tests, etc. makes me think that putting that mission-based foundation inside a larger game with more going on could be really cool. It is also obvious that they have made every attempt to make things tie back to the film. At one point someone got Rope as an item. The rope allows you to ignore the captain when you use it. You flip the card over, and the couch is on the other side.

I wanted to see the Breaking Bad game, but I never stumbled upon it. Likewise for the Black Souls game, and the Cowboy Bebop game.

I did run into Matt Loter and his Vice Games set up. He was getting a lot of traffic, and I saw people walking around with his games. Congratulations, Matt!

I've probably forgotten some things and may update this thread later.

The most important lesson I learned is that one day is far too short for Gen Con. Trying to get through the entire dealer hall at once is far too strenuous, and I ended up missing things. Next year I intend to do the entire con, including the Wednesday before, which I've never done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, san il defanso, engelstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2017 21:00 #252710 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic One day at Gen Con 2017
Yeah, one day is tough. I know people that do it, but you need to be really targeted.

I missed Thursday this year due to some work issues, and I felt behind the eight ball the whole time.

More
20 Aug 2017 21:02 #252711 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic One day at Gen Con 2017
Will there be a Superfly write up?

More
20 Aug 2017 21:45 #252712 by Michael Barnes
Cowboy Bebop game? Eh...shouldn't get too hopeful on that..

More
20 Aug 2017 22:25 #252715 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic One day at Gen Con 2017
I heard about SW: Legions and Shadespire, any other interesting news out of Gen Con?

More
20 Aug 2017 22:56 #252716 by hotseatgames
I forgot to add that I watched a few minutes of a demo of the Fallout miniatures game. Again, it was hard to hear, but it did seem relatively standard, but with lots of custom dice that can add / modify all sorts of effects. While this opens up a lot of options for unique units, it seemed like it also had potential to make things a bit fiddly, constantly assessing what you rolled, what those rolls affect, etc.

That's just a very initial opinion, and I didn't play it personally.

Range and movement is done with different length sticks that come with the game.

More
21 Aug 2017 01:54 #252725 by SuperflyPete

Msample wrote: Will there be a Superfly write up?

First, God bless you for even remembering that I did those! No, I didn't get to go to a single con this year. Between the house AC dying, car repairs, and the litany of birthdays in our family in rapid succession, all in summer, I am flat-the-fuck-broke.

Dave Roswell came out to visit for a weekend and that was more than awesome enough of a mini con, though.

More
21 Aug 2017 01:55 #252726 by SuperflyPete
PS: What's up with Chainmail Bikini? I haven't heard Dick about that and I still want a copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
21 Aug 2017 22:33 #252823 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic One day at Gen Con 2017

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Msample wrote: Will there be a Superfly write up?

First, God bless you for even remembering that I did those! No, I didn't get to go to a single con this year. Between the house AC dying, car repairs, and the litany of birthdays in our family in rapid succession, all in summer, I am flat-the-fuck-broke.

Dave Roswell came out to visit for a weekend and that was more than awesome enough of a mini con, though.

Pete, it's some of the best gaming journalism out there, no lie. Hard not to remember it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
03 Oct 2017 17:57 #255204 by hotseatgames
The Fallout: Wasteland Warfare pre-order is live.... so how many of you are dropping $928 to go all-in? I think I'll sit this one out.

www.modiphius.net/collections/fallout-wa...plete-package-bundle

More
05 Oct 2017 08:51 - 05 Oct 2017 08:53 #255251 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic One day at Gen Con 2017
I'm going to be checking out the starter set for a review but I don't plan on buying in any farther. I would consider it as I like some of the concepts in the game (the narrative scenarios and non-combat elements such as hacking and lock-picking sound interesting), but the problem with something like this is that we're all strapped for cash from going after other minis lines. Walking Dead: All Out War, Necromunda, and Shadespire already have money earmarked.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2017 08:53 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
05 Oct 2017 14:54 #255264 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote: I'm going to be checking out the starter set for a review but I don't plan on buying in any farther. I would consider it as I like some of the concepts in the game (the narrative scenarios and non-combat elements such as hacking and lock-picking sound interesting), but the problem with something like this is that we're all strapped for cash from going after other minis lines. Walking Dead: All Out War, Necromunda, and Shadespire already have money earmarked.

32mm killed it for me. I am still miffed.

As much as I am a fallout super fan (I commissioned a life sized mini nuke statue which sits on my shelf in my office) this is too expensive. I'll buy the rules, wait 3 years for it to die off, and buy some models in 2020 for half price on Bartertown.

That's the usual Pete Plan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds