October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Arkham Horror is a Bitch to Teach.

More
29 Feb 2008 13:19 #3633 by ubarose
I practiced teaching Arkham Horror last night. The guys at my game group were really great about it, but I realized how much there is to remember. I totally could not remember all the monster special movement and ability rules, all the delayed rules, the arrested rule, or the selling stuff back to the store rule. Are there rules for selling stuff back to the store? After a couple of minutes of trying to find that rule, we decided to just house rule it and keep going. I think I have some studying to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2008 14:36 #3642 by Lagduf
I don't think their is a rule for selling stuff back to the store.

At least Arkham Horror has an index, and so do all of the newer FFG Games. Still not quite as good as the wargame styled rule point systems, but it works.

More
29 Feb 2008 16:25 #3649 by jeb

More
29 Feb 2008 16:26 #3650 by Harkonnen13
There's definitely a lot going on in Arkham Horror. I want to say that there's a card or something in one of the expansions that allows you to sell stuff back to the store but I'm not at all sure.

More
29 Feb 2008 17:59 - 29 Feb 2008 19:30 #3656 by ubarose
jeb wrote:

Dammit, woman, printout and laminate Skelly's flowcharts.

Skelly and his friggin flowcharts. I'll have to print some of these to hand out at Trashfest, so he will at least be there in spirit.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 19:30 by ubarose.

More
29 Feb 2008 18:03 - 29 Feb 2008 19:29 #3657 by ubarose
Harkonnen13 wrote:

There's definitely a lot going on in Arkham Horror. I want to say that there's a card or something in one of the expansions that allows you to sell stuff back to the store but I'm not at all sure.

I thought that you couldn't sell things back to the store. You can just sell and trade with other characters. But a couple of people remembered that there were selling rules. Today I re-checked the rules to the base game and couldn't find any selling rules. I'm going to check the revised rules in the DH expansion tonight to see if it is in there.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 19:29 by ubarose. Reason: typos

More
29 Feb 2008 18:12 - 29 Feb 2008 18:12 #3658 by Harkonnen13
ubarose wrote:

Harkonnen13 wrote:

I thought that you couldn't sell things back to the store. You can just sell and trade with other characters. But a couple of people remembered selling that there were selling rules. Today I re-checked the rules to the base game and couldn't find any selling rules. I'm going to check the revised rules in the DH expansion tonight to see if it is in there.

Might be in Dunwich Horror. I know it's not in the core rules.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 18:12 by Harkonnen13.

More
29 Feb 2008 19:00 #3660 by ubarose
Thanks. I couldn't find anything about selling in the DH rules or in any of the FAQ, so I'm going to stick with NO selling stuff back to the shops when I demo, or if anyone asks me. If a group wants to house rule that, I don't think it makes any difference, since win or lose the group gets the same number of trash points.

More
29 Feb 2008 20:17 #3661 by Harkonnen13
ubarose wrote:

Thanks. I couldn't find anything about selling in the DH rules or in any of the FAQ, so I'm going to stick with NO selling stuff back to the shops when I demo, or if anyone asks me. If a group wants to house rule that, I don't think it makes any difference, since win or lose the group gets the same number of trash points.

The luck of the draw when your equipping the characters can really suck sometimes. My wife and I use an optional rule where you can pick one regular item, special item, or spell. Just one card total, not one from each category. Selling gear would be good. It bugs me that I don't know. I'm checking on it on another site.

More
29 Feb 2008 20:26 #3663 by Mr Skeletor
There is no sell back rule - this aint fucking walmart.

More
29 Feb 2008 20:39 #3664 by Harkonnen13
How about a pawn shop?

More
01 Mar 2008 02:15 #3669 by KingPut
Tonight I tried to teach Starcraft as a warm up for Trashfest. I'd give myself C- grade, I probably got 72% of the rules correct. But that's not too bad because I was a substitute teacher. Doug the GM for Starcraft couldn't make it so I tried to fill in and it was only my 2nd game of Starcraft game.

Teaching bad ass F:AT / FFG isn't easy, it's not like we're teaching Euro with 4 pages of rules. Starcraft has about 50 pages of rules. But if you're running a game of Arkham Horror with a bunch of Newbies just make up rules like they have to do a shot whisky every time they fail a sanity check that way they won't realize you missed the store refund rule.

More
01 Mar 2008 11:03 #3671 by ubarose
Re: Pawn Shop

One of the fun things about AH, and other similar games, is that you can tweak them to your liking without breaking them. In the game I played Thursday, some of the people had played before. Therefore, the first thing we had to establish was if we were going to use anyone's favored house rules or variants.

Re: Teaching Big Ass Games

Looking back on my practice session, I now think that I did a pretty damn good job. I was using someone else's copy of the game, so I didn't have all my cheat sheets or player aids. I got most of it off the top of my head.

My trick to teaching or playing games like AH is to make each player responsible for a different set of rules or a process. I have little cards with a summary of the bit for which they are responsible. One person is responsible for reading the Mythos card in the correct order. One person is responsible for placing and moving monsters. One person is responsible for terror track conditions. One person is responsible for turn order and phase. One person is responsible for combat. Everyone gets a chance to GM their bit, and everyone also gets to relax and enjoy the narrative when it isn't their turn to be the boss. It keeps the game moving along to have someone saying "Everyone do your upkeep now. Joe, don't forget to roll for your Blessing. Okay. Everyone done. Sam, you move..." But you don't feel like that person is being bossy, because your the one doing the same thing during combat or Mythos or what ever it is you are responsible for. I think it also enhances cooperation. For example, if you are considering fighting a monster, you might consult with the "combat GM" to check what you would have to roll to defeat the monster. Then people start giving opinions on whether you should fight, or evade, or go do something else.

More
01 Mar 2008 11:53 #3675 by Harkonnen13
Re: selling

ubarose, if there's rules for selling they are on encounter cards. Which ones I'm not sure. Kingsport Horror is reported to have a location where you can sell stuff. But it ain't out yet.

More
01 Mar 2008 12:08 #3678 by ubarose
Thanks for the Kingsport info. Once that expansion comes out it is going to be even harder for me to not slip into calling places by their RI names. I have a bad habit of calling Arkham, Providence, and referring to Brown University, Warehouse Point, etc. I know I'm going to start calling Kingsport either Newport or Kingstown.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds