October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Giving Myself an Ultimatum

More
08 Apr 2014 16:01 #175419 by Legomancer
This weekend I cleaned up my office/nerd room, which meant putting games back on the shelf, which meant making space for all the games to go back on the shelf, which meant pulling some games out for the trade pile.

Now, I liquidated a bunch of boardgames back in January in the Unity Games auction. Another one went in the ConnCon auction. In theory I just ditched a bunch of games and shouldn’t have too many more to get rid of, and yet here we are.

Some of the ones that got added to the pile were ones that I just had to finally admit weren’t going to get played. But most were recent purchases. Things that I knew at the time were probably bad bets. One is a game that I bought, had doubts about, and then bought an expansion for, still having those same doubts. The running theme was, “Why did I buy this?” and the answer was, “I wanted to buy something.”

That’s bad, poison behavior. I’m having an intervention with myself. No more. No more game purchases until I have played some of the things I have and haven’t played. I’ve even made a list. Until the following ten games get some kind of table time, I’m cut off from buying new ones.

Merchant of Venus (Got this last year and I’m still not 100% sure my copy has been played. And I haven’t tried the FFG rules, even though I’m pretty sure they’re not great.)

Core Worlds: Galactic Orders (I’ve only played Galactic Orders once? I like this game, and it needs to get played.)

Wiz-War (Bought this last year, haven’t even opened it. Why?)

Invaders (I got this at ConnCon and it needs to get a try.)

The Manhattan Project (I like this one a lot but have a hard time getting it played. No matter how much I may like it, if it’s not hitting the table it needs to go.)

Nations (One I’m on the fence about. It takes up too much space if it’s not getting played.)

Wiraqocha (One I probably shouldn’t have even bought in the first place. It gets another try, but I don’t have high hopes.)

Flash Point: Fire Rescue (I think this is a neat game, but I can’t get co-ops played, and I knew this when I bought it.)

Triumvirate (Card games get overlooked too often. I think this is a good one, but my copy hasn’t been played at all.)

Gang of Four (Once again, it gets overlooked because it’s small. Even if it only takes up a little space, if it’s not getting played it needs to go, and this hasn’t gotten played yet.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2014 16:06 #175421 by san il defanso
I still think that the FFG rules for Merchant of Venus are highly underrated, although they do move the game closer to Merchants & Marauders qausi-adventure territory, which will be disappointing for those who liked the more economic bent of the original.

Wiz-War is objectively awesome. Crack it open and play it.

I only played Gang of Four on the DoW website, and that was several years ago. Having said that, if you already have and play Tichu I really doubt you need to have Gang of Four too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
08 Apr 2014 16:12 #175422 by charlest
I really didn't enjoy Merchant of Venus when I played it last year. We played the FFG rules and I had no previous experience with the game in any form. What my problem was, is that I was able to identify within the first 30-45 minutes the most optimal path on the board (there were three planets all bearing a rotation of goods which made it so that you could just rotate between all of them in a huge circle). Other players caught on shortly after and it was this slow prolonged race of going the same route. It took 2 more hours to finish the game and not much fun or moments of awesome were packed inside.

More
08 Apr 2014 16:23 #175425 by Legomancer
San: I had Tichu but I didn't really like it, and GoF removes what I didn't like.

More
08 Apr 2014 16:28 #175426 by san il defanso

Legomancer wrote: San: I had Tichu but I didn't really like it, and GoF removes what I didn't like.

I forget, does it require four people? I don't think it's a partnership game. Tichu and I had a torrid love affair in 2011, where we were playing several times a month. Now it's harder to get a game in, and we only play a couple times a year. It died out some because it became tough to get people together on a regular basis.

More
08 Apr 2014 17:06 #175430 by hotseatgames
I feel similarly... there are some minis games out there that are tempting me, yet I've got Earth Reborn just sitting here and Incursion still on the way. I'm insane.

More
08 Apr 2014 17:57 #175438 by ubarose
Wiraqocha is great. I think it may have moved into my top ten favorite games. Brutal, 45 minute, 4 player game with a death ray.

More
08 Apr 2014 18:13 #175442 by SuperflyPete
Fucking addicts, the lot of ye.

I've got 1(ONE) game I have that I haven't played, and it's a free, downloadable rule set. I've got 1 (ONE) expansion I've never put into play.

This is gaming done right, my friends.

Now don't ask me how many miniatures I have to paint, or how many terrain objects I have to assemble and paint....

More
09 Apr 2014 07:35 #175454 by lj1983
I'm doing pretty well, the only games I have sitting waiting to be played are Maria and a PnP Dune, both of which are hard to just sit down and play.

as for your list....dude, Wiz-War is quick, light and fun.

More
09 Apr 2014 10:35 #175464 by DukeofChutney
i prefer the original MoV rules, faster, more streamline, and in some respects more chaotic for my group.

Definitely get some Wiz-War played. It sits next to Nexus Ops in the FAT favourite accessible Trash games.

More
09 Apr 2014 11:04 - 09 Apr 2014 11:07 #175467 by Gary Sax
Neither here nor there, but thinking back I've actually played my most recent purchases a fair amount and loved them (Clash of Cultures, Firefly, and Pax Porfiriana). Agricola is the only one that hasn't hit the table, but I soloed it and know the rules now and it's more of a game for my wife and I when we're bored anyway.

It helped to get more into VASSAL for regular games. I've found that VASSAL isn't just for long wargames, as long as it's a game where the turns are self contained. If your opponents send things back and forth quickly, you can get a nice flow to the game as you do in person.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 11:07 by Gary Sax.

More
09 Apr 2014 11:37 #175476 by Legomancer
I've played Wiz-War several times, just not the copy I inexplicably bought. My friend made a PNP version before this reprint came out. It's not so much that I haven't played these games (Only Invaders and Gang of Four have zero plays) but more that I haven't played these games, these ones I spent money on and are just taking up space. It's about not buying stuff just for the sake of buying stuff and getting rid of things that aren't doing anything.

More
09 Apr 2014 21:31 #175526 by Sevej
I think I've played all my board games.

Now, my Steam account..

More
09 Apr 2014 22:58 #175538 by hotseatgames
I have at least a few boardgames I've not played, although I think I received all of them in Secret Satan.

I have tons of Steam games not played.

More
11 Apr 2014 16:11 - 02 Aug 2014 11:20 #175646 by bomber
no need for that
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 11:20 by bomber.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds