October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2439 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAMES are you TRADING?

More
10 Dec 2023 12:36 #341242 by charlest
I've only played it a couple of times, but I really enjoyed Solomon Kane. The stories/scenarios are interesting, the gameplay is unique, and it's a very enjoyable setting. Need to play it more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2023 13:32 #341268 by southernman

charlest wrote: I've only played it a couple of times, but I really enjoyed Solomon Kane. The stories/scenarios are interesting, the gameplay is unique, and it's a very enjoyable setting. Need to play it more.

It arrived yesterday and shit, it's pretty top end quality for all the components. Pre shipping and resource price rises really shows up, and I like the lighter blue/green colour of the minis as they look much better than the grey and lessens the need to paint them some way - they're all quite diverse for the different characters of the stories, some team made a good job on them.
And kudos to Mythic for sending out a thorough errata document and replacement cards pack with Wave 2 for the (numerous) mistakes in all the Wave 2 stories ... I just hope the Wave 2 expansions had more attention spent on them as they've sold that IP so there won't be any errata for them.
Looking forward to getting into it next year.

More
13 Dec 2023 19:45 #341272 by hotseatgames

southernman wrote: And kudos to Mythic

Counterpoint - Fuck Mythic

More
15 Dec 2023 15:20 #341301 by southernman

hotseatgames wrote:

southernman wrote: And kudos to Mythic

Counterpoint - Fuck Mythic

Have no problems with that, I backed both Darkest Dungeon and HEL: The Last Saga :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
17 Dec 2023 17:22 #341320 by Jackwraith
Two sizable trades by measure of impact, rather than actual size:

Out: DRCongo
In: Babylonia

I liked DRCongo. It's an interesting process game that smoothly integrates a lot of modern economic factors that you often wouldn't consider in an economic game but which have real effect in both the real world and the game itself. The problem was that it often felt like it took longer than the size of the game really predicts. I wasn't eager to get rid of it, but it didn't really stand up as a favorite around here, so I figured I'd try to get a play of yet another Knizia creation in my neverending quest to try all of the good doctor's games (and hold on to the precious few that really land with me, like Babylonia's thematic and mechanical cousin, T&E.)

Out: Forbidden Stars
In: A fully blinged-out copy of Wonderland's War.

I can almost hear the gasps from the assembled forum brethren. "You traded a copy of Forbidden Stars for something you could buy off the shelf?!!" Yeah, I did. My copy of Stars had been sitting around for a while. It's a great game, but I have a ton of DoaMs that are very much like it. The one standout mechanism, of course, is the order execution, where playing an order in a sector first means it will be happening last, like Starcraft. But the combat also takes a long time and can often lead to AP from people deciding which card will bring the best effect and it gets even slower once people start upgrading their cards. Don't get me wrong: I like the game. I think it's close to a classic and, yes, it's been out of print for 13 years which means it's selling for stupid prices on Ebay and whatnot. But there are other DoaMs that are probably going to come off the shelf sooner. Wonderland's War, of course, is also a DoaM but it has a different approach (bag building, etc.) and it's something I've been eager to try. I just didn't want to pay almost as much as a copy of Stars would cost on Ebay in order to try it. So, in this case, it was more a case of opportunity cost than anything else (i.e. it's worth it to pass along one of the hardest-to-find productions of the glorious FFG/GW era to get the chance to try a game that many modern critics were praising as one of the best games of 2022.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, ChristopherMD, Msample, hotseatgames, DarthJoJo

More
17 Dec 2023 18:48 #341321 by Msample
FORBIDDEN STARS was a victim of bad timing. Had FFG not lost the GE license, there is no doubt expansion content - more factions, 5-6 player support would have followed.

There is a fan made expansion on BGG and an Etsy seller who has nice looking minis/cards you can buy for the expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
17 Dec 2023 19:08 #341322 by charlest
Man, those trades are interesting.

I regret getting rid of DRCongo. Very interesting game and probably my favorite Ragnar brothers release.

Despite generally appreciating Knizia's work and really loving Tigris & Euphrates, I haven't been overly impressed by Babylonia. I thought it was fine.

Huge Forbidden Stars fan, although I prefer StarCraft. Still, Wonderland's War is great, just suffering from the quality it's a little too long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jackwraith

More
17 Dec 2023 20:04 #341323 by Jackwraith

Msample wrote: FORBIDDEN STARS was a victim of bad timing. Had FFG not lost the GE license, there is no doubt expansion content - more factions, 5-6 player support would have followed.

There is a fan made expansion on BGG and an Etsy seller who has nice looking minis/cards you can buy for the expansion.

Yep. Totally agree on the timing thing. I know there was more in the pipeline for the Warhammer Quest card game and there was probably room for yet another expansion to Blood Bowl: Team Manager, too. There was a lot of gold left to mine in that relationship but Christian decided he wanted to do minis.

More
17 Dec 2023 20:10 #341324 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: Man, those trades are interesting.

I'm kinda reaching the point where I have less patience with my collection overall. I'm looking at games that I wouldn't have even considered getting rid of in years past (like Forbidden Stars) and simply deciding that if they're not getting played, they're not staying. I'm pretty close to just putting a good chunk of them up for sale to try to move them out of the house. I don't need the space and I don't need the money, but they're just sitting here, so I'd rather try something new (see: Babylonia and Wonderland's War) rather than sit on what's here in the hopes that some day they'll bring me joy again, to quote the now-forgotten Marie Kondo. I'm not about to go full MB on you all, but I'm reaching the point where I'm a lot less enchanted with things as they stand. I've been trying to finish three different reviews for the past two weeks and they're not going anywhere...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample, hotseatgames, cdennett, charlest

More
17 Dec 2023 21:59 - 17 Dec 2023 22:13 #341327 by Sagrilarus
We should start a flea market thread.

With kickstarter we’ve all been drinking from a firehose for about a decade now. It’s hard to be excited when you’re being told to be excited every single Tuesday.

I bought two games this year, and neither one was a hit. This is the first Christmas in a couple of decades where I’m getting zero gaming content.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2023 22:13 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Jackwraith

More
18 Dec 2023 17:05 #341333 by cdennett

Jackwraith wrote: I'm kinda reaching the point where I have less patience with my collection overall. I'm looking at games that I wouldn't have even considered getting rid of in years past (like Forbidden Stars) and simply deciding that if they're not getting played, they're not staying. I'm pretty close to just putting a good chunk of them up for sale to try to move them out of the house. I don't need the space and I don't need the money, but they're just sitting here, so I'd rather try something new (see: Babylonia and Wonderland's War) rather than sit on what's here in the hopes that some day they'll bring me joy again, to quote the now-forgotten Marie Kondo. I'm not about to go full MB on you all, but I'm reaching the point where I'm a lot less enchanted with things as they stand. I've been trying to finish three different reviews for the past two weeks and they're not going anywhere...

I'm getting very close to this, and am well past the need to severely downsize. I've blown past my agreed upon collection size with the missus and games are piling up in random places around the house. Part of my problem is that even aggressive pricing aren't moving most titles, and I'm clinging to titles I should just let go. Probably need to move on from BGG marketplace and take the time to deal with eBay and just take whatever I get. Time to to take some golden calves off the shelf and cast them to the marketplace...

Sounds like a good New Years resolution...have a collection that mostly fits where it's supposed to, even if I have to take massive losses on moving games out.

Back on topic: If I didn't have a friend with a fancy copy of Wonderland's War, I would likely consider making the same trade. Forgotten Stars hasn't been played in a very long time, and I really don't have the group to play it anymore. I've only played WW once, but quite enjoyed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
18 Dec 2023 19:03 - 18 Dec 2023 19:05 #341335 by Msample
As an alternative to Ebay, there are numerous Facebook Marketplaces. I have not bought/sold a ton on there, but they seem to get a ton of traffic, no fees and I don't see many posts about scammers, no shows etc. Might be worth checking out.

The other option is selling in bulk to NOBLE KNIGHT . While the price they offer is likely to be low, there's something to be said for one stop mass liquidations. I sold about two dozen games in one swoop to them a few years ago. A half dozen emails, they sent a FedEx call tag, I dropped the boxes at the local FedEx store. Done. Beats 24 sets of back and forth emails, 24 trips to the PO, etc.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2023 19:05 by Msample.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, sornars, cdennett, Mantidman

More
19 Dec 2023 06:29 #341342 by southernman
Facebook boardgame groups in the UK are pretty safe (my experience of the last few years) to use and I buy/sell using them regularly, although I still use eBay plus the odd trade on BGG.

On cleaning out games I went through that phase about 6-10 years ago and then during COVID as well but now I have changed tact, possibly due to my age getting a bit high these days, I've decided to keep all games that I rate highly so when I want to play them sometime in the next five or ten years I have a copy. I'm in a 'winding down in life' phase and just extended my small UK house so that I have more room to live in and decided having these games at hand is part of it - on the counter I likely won't buy anymore for quite a while as I have virtually all from my major wishlist. A minor, but still a, factor is that few other people in groups I'm part of own many games I like so to play them I have to own them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, cdennett

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds