October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Games to a decent home, pay what you want (or nothing)

More
19 Aug 2016 00:49 - 15 Nov 2016 13:26 #232394 by Cranberries
This giveaway is so great. I love the generosity of the folks on this site.

So about three years ago I was leaving the country and I sold a copy of X to a game friend from work, and some other games, at below market prices because he's a friend. I think it was $30.

Fast forward to this week, and the same person keeps asking if I am going to sell my copy of Y I think, OK, I'm not really playing it, so I offer it to him at a below market price, like $30. I then ask him if he still has X and he asks if I want to trade. I say, yeah, let's work something out. He then goes to BGG, sees a copy for sale on Amazon for $200, and tells me that there is a price discrepancy so maybe a trade will work, but he's not sure, but we're friends and he could do me a favor...

It is going for about $50 on Ebay.

I'm thinking I wouldn't even have had the conversation in that situation, but just traded the games, given all the stuff I had sold him cheaply in the past. Now I feel like he thinks he is bending over backwards for me and the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Ugh. I just told him I was going to hold onto X and try to get some plays in at home. Blecccch to cheapskates.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 13:26 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2016 05:56 #232395 by Gary Sax
^The whole exercise of selling online, of everyone expecting to be a genius who makes 40 dollars on every trade of a product of 10 dollars. Ugh.

More
19 Aug 2016 07:35 #232397 by ChristopherMD
Its gotten to the point I'd rather toss games in the trash then sell on BGG. Maybe I'll start giving some away here.

More
19 Aug 2016 09:15 #232406 by Columbob

cranaic wrote: This giveaway is so great. I love the generosity of the folks on this site.

So about three years ago I was leaving the country and I sold a copy of Storms of Steel to a game friend from work, and some other games, at below market prices because he's a friend. I think it was $30.

Fast forward to this week, and the same person keeps asking if I am going to sell my copy of Twilight Struggle. I think, OK, I'm not really playing it, so I offer it to him at a below market price, like $30. I then ask him if he still has Storms of Steel and he asks if I want to trade. I say, yeah, let's work something out. He then goes to BGG, sees a copy for sale on Amazon for $200, and tells me that there is a price discrepancy so maybe a trade will work, but he's not sure, but we're friends and he could do me a favor...

I'm thinking I wouldn't even have had the conversation in that situation, but just traded the games, given all the stuff I had sold him cheaply in the past. Now I feel like he thinks he is bending over backwards for me and the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Ugh. I just told him I was going to hold onto TS and try to get some plays in at home. Blecccch to cheapskates.

What a dick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Aug 2016 09:37 #232409 by dysjunct
One of my buddies has started to get deeper into nerd games and really liked Agricola. How do you feel about me giving it to him?

More
19 Aug 2016 09:43 #232410 by Cranberries

Columbob wrote:

cranaic wrote: This giveaway is so great. I love the generosity of the folks on this site.

So about three years ago I was leaving the country and I sold a copy of Storms of Steel to a game friend from work, and some other games, at below market prices because he's a friend. I think it was $30.

Fast forward to this week, and the same person keeps asking if I am going to sell my copy of Twilight Struggle. I think, OK, I'm not really playing it, so I offer it to him at a below market price, like $30. I then ask him if he still has Storms of Steel and he asks if I want to trade. I say, yeah, let's work something out. He then goes to BGG, sees a copy for sale on Amazon for $200, and tells me that there is a price discrepancy so maybe a trade will work, but he's not sure, but we're friends and he could do me a favor...

I'm thinking I wouldn't even have had the conversation in that situation, but just traded the games, given all the stuff I had sold him cheaply in the past. Now I feel like he thinks he is bending over backwards for me and the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Ugh. I just told him I was going to hold onto TS and try to get some plays in at home. Blecccch to cheapskates.

What a dick.

Well, he's an academic and probably has some mild Asperger's that for the most part he compensates for very well. He's also a really nice guy, and has blood cancer. If his numbers change he could die, or he could live with it for years. So it's complicated. Once again, I am dragging this site (and thread) into my spastic venting sessions.

More
19 Aug 2016 09:52 #232414 by Black Barney
i dunno, dicks are still dicks. cancer or no

More
19 Aug 2016 10:18 #232420 by Gary Sax

dysjunct wrote: One of my buddies has started to get deeper into nerd games and really liked Agricola. How do you feel about me giving it to him?

If he'd actually play it, good. PM me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
19 Aug 2016 10:20 #232421 by Columbob

cranaic wrote: Well, he's an academic and probably has some mild Asperger's that for the most part he compensates for very well. He's also a really nice guy, and has blood cancer. If his numbers change he could die, or he could live with it for years. So it's complicated. Once again, I am dragging this site (and thread) into my spastic venting sessions.

Still, if he keeps bugging you for that, you can tell him flat out (while still being polite) "Look, I sold it to you for cheap back then as a favour because I like you; why are you now trying to make a profit off my back? I don't really care for that. If you think it's now worth $200 (or whatever), go sell it or trade it on BGG, but it's not worth more than TS to me. I was ready for a straight up trade, but now I'll be keeping TS."

Or maybe he just needs money?

More
19 Aug 2016 10:50 #232423 by san il defanso
I've basically quit fishing for trades on BGG. I still occasionally trade when someone makes an offer, and I keep my list as up-to-date as I can, but I don't go asking for them anymore. I generally only do math trades anymore, where someone's game will sink or swim based on who actually wants it. Mostly it's local trades, though that's just to save on shipping.

Selling games is another problem entirely. Unless it's red-hot, it's almost impossible to move something for any kind of money. At that point you might as well give it away.

More
19 Aug 2016 10:58 #232426 by san il defanso
Oh, and this is one of the most genuinely awesome things someone has done on this site. Thanks Gary!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
19 Aug 2016 13:39 #232436 by Gary Sax

More
19 Aug 2016 13:55 #232440 by Black Barney
like hell all gone. Open your cupboards and let's do another round of this. It's fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Mr. White

More
19 Aug 2016 14:14 #232441 by SuperflyPete

Gary Sax wrote: ^The whole exercise of selling online, of everyone expecting to be a genius who makes 40 dollars on every trade of a product of 10 dollars. Ugh.

It's everywhere. I've got my copy of Cthulhu Wars for sale for 150$ there, and this guy hits me up and wants to trade War of the Ring 2ed for 75$ trade value, based on MSRP. I'm like, "Dude, MSRP on mine is 200$, and I'm the one stuck with 30-40$ in freight to you. I'll do CW for WotR +100$ and I'll eat freight."

Crickets.

THE BOX IS 24x16x12 and 7.5 pounds! What the actual fuck?

People piss me off.

More
19 Aug 2016 22:15 - 19 Aug 2016 22:15 #232466 by Mr. White

Gary Sax wrote: ^The whole exercise of selling online, of everyone expecting to be a genius who makes 40 dollars on every trade of a product of 10 dollars. Ugh.

I wonder if what we have are people with too many games, so realizing they didn't really get enough plays to have been worth the cost...they hope to get a little return on resale?

I chalk it up as money spent. I wish I had more to give away, but that copy of BB:TM all sleeved up was about it. The only other title I have left to sent out would be LotR:Confrontation. I like it tons, and if it doesn't start seeing more plays, it may go.

I really appreciate the free games I've received recently from generous F:ATties. They are titles to play with the kids and have been put to frequent use.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2016 22:15 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds