October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

FS: Eldritch Horror lot

More
17 Jan 2018 10:42 #261181 by Michael Barnes

Count Orlok wrote: I'm potentially interested, but let's have some straight talk.

If I already own all of Arkham Horror what does Eldritch Horror do differently or better? Is it at all justified to have both?

I kind of blew the game off when it came out because I wasn't sure of the differences.

Although I think you can justify having both - they really do things at a very different scale - Eldritch in a lot of ways plays like a refinement of Arkham.

Eldritch is a globe-spanning (and dimension-spanning) adventure that has some rather Robinson Crusoe-like long-term consequences that I think make it a much more compelling game narratively speaking. For example, you can take on conditions, ailments, or injuries that don't bear actual impact until later. You can enter into a Dark Pact and later in the game, wind up dealing with thugs or being devoured when it comes due.

There are also more elements that create a more consistent narrative line. When an investigator goes down, you can actually go to where they were left (maybe in jail, in an asylum, on their death bed, whatever) and get clues and inherit their stuff.

The actual goals are more complex and interesting, usually requiring you to solve a multi-stage adventure while mitigating any kind of mythos shenanigans that show up. There are lot more locations, a lot more possibilities than you'll find in the confines of Arkham.

With the expansions I have (one big box and two small) you have a TON of content. And it still manages to feel more manageable than Arkham with multiple expansions. With just the base game stuff, it's a pretty reasonable 120 minutes. There are some gotcha cards that set you back, but you can easily just not play with them.

The solo game in Eldritch is much better than in Arkham.

In all, I think that Eldritch really leans more into being a paragraph game in disguise. You can definitely feel the influence of Tales of the Arabian Nights, as well as Fury of Dracula for that matter. When it comes down to it, Eldritch is really a more modern game than Arkham was, even in its revised edition.

We played it quite a bit and had a lot of fun with it, but I'm ready to sunset it. A big difference between it and Arkham is that I would be willing to play Eldritch Horror again, but I'm not really looking to play Arkham again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2018 10:43 #261182 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot
I played AH for years, but eventually grew to dread getting it out to play because of the mess and sprawl that it became. I liked the cleaner look and streamlined engine that was backing EH. Of course, I sold both of them off. I do think about maybe reacquiring EH, but so far have resisted the call.

More
17 Jan 2018 11:23 #261191 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot

Michael Barnes wrote:

Count Orlok wrote: I'm potentially interested, but let's have some straight talk.

If I already own all of Arkham Horror what does Eldritch Horror do differently or better? Is it at all justified to have both?

I kind of blew the game off when it came out because I wasn't sure of the differences.

Although I think you can justify having both - they really do things at a very different scale - Eldritch in a lot of ways plays like a refinement of Arkham.

Eldritch is a globe-spanning (and dimension-spanning) adventure that has some rather Robinson Crusoe-like long-term consequences that I think make it a much more compelling game narratively speaking. For example, you can take on conditions, ailments, or injuries that don't bear actual impact until later. You can enter into a Dark Pact and later in the game, wind up dealing with thugs or being devoured when it comes due.

There are also more elements that create a more consistent narrative line. When an investigator goes down, you can actually go to where they were left (maybe in jail, in an asylum, on their death bed, whatever) and get clues and inherit their stuff.

The actual goals are more complex and interesting, usually requiring you to solve a multi-stage adventure while mitigating any kind of mythos shenanigans that show up. There are lot more locations, a lot more possibilities than you'll find in the confines of Arkham.

With the expansions I have (one big box and two small) you have a TON of content. And it still manages to feel more manageable than Arkham with multiple expansions. With just the base game stuff, it's a pretty reasonable 120 minutes. There are some gotcha cards that set you back, but you can easily just not play with them.

The solo game in Eldritch is much better than in Arkham.

In all, I think that Eldritch really leans more into being a paragraph game in disguise. You can definitely feel the influence of Tales of the Arabian Nights, as well as Fury of Dracula for that matter. When it comes down to it, Eldritch is really a more modern game than Arkham was, even in its revised edition.

We played it quite a bit and had a lot of fun with it, but I'm ready to sunset it. A big difference between it and Arkham is that I would be willing to play Eldritch Horror again, but I'm not really looking to play Arkham again.

I usually call it as AH is a dungeoncrawl (buffing & tooling up to fight the boss at the end) while EH is an adventure game (working through the mysteries to win the game). EH has proved more deadlier for us and hard to beat (normally two of us running two investigators each).

I still have AH and three big box expansions (sold the small ones, as they didn't really add much, to pay for the EH small expansions that do add a lot), every time I think about selling the lot something primal stops me.

More
17 Jan 2018 11:52 #261194 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot

Shellhead wrote: It's reasonable to have both Arkham and Eldritch, because they are different games with a different focus. Arkham puts the narrative focus on the characters, while the focus in Eldritch is on the Great Old One's story.

More
17 Jan 2018 11:56 #261196 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot
Math Trade?
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, ufe20

More
17 Jan 2018 12:06 #261201 by Michael Barnes
I would totally be up for it...I don’t have a lot of stuff but I have some recent titles that might move things around.

More
17 Jan 2018 12:09 #261202 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot
I would throw some stuff in. Including the copy of Evolution that Barnes decided to not give me his address for. ;)

More
17 Jan 2018 12:36 #261207 by Michael Barnes
Oh shoot I forgot about that- yeah, put that in a math trade!

Sounds like we are winding up something here...

More
17 Jan 2018 12:59 #261211 by SuperflyPete
Ideally it will be better run than Secret Satan

More
17 Jan 2018 13:01 #261212 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot
"Secret Math Satan"!

Where all the bids add up to 666 and nobody knows what the hell they just bought!

More
18 Jan 2018 19:24 #261442 by Michael Barnes
I’ll take this down to $90 if anyone wants it- next stop is BGG marketplace.

More
19 Jan 2018 10:17 #261476 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot
Alright, god damn it. You talked me into it.

More
19 Jan 2018 10:21 #261477 by SuperflyPete

Count Orlok wrote: Alright, god damn it. You talked me into it.

More
19 Jan 2018 10:27 #261480 by Michael Barnes
Right on, let’s do the paperwork on it- you have my PayPal address? Send it as “money to friends and family” if you don’t mind, so I don’t get hit with fees.

Street team- help me get that Skylanders lot sold.

More
19 Jan 2018 10:29 #261482 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic FS: Eldritch Horror lot
Just pm me your paypal and I'll send it along.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds