October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Trading a big Wii package, if you're interested...

More
19 Mar 2010 14:18 #57976 by Michael Barnes
Alright, so the Wii was a lot of fun and all but it's been sitting there not even plugged up since September of last year. Not even RONDO OF BLOOD turning up on VC has moved me to set it up again.

So I'm looking at trading it. But here's the kicker. This thing is freakin' LOADED with Virtual Console and WiiWare games. I think there's something like $350 worth of Wii points invested in this thing, and it really represents some of the very top titles that you can play on it.

Here's the other kicker. I don't want to sell it. I do not want to recieve money in exchange for it. I really want to trade it and the accessories I have straight up for a PS3 and maybe a game or two. A new PS3 is $299, and my projected sale price for the Wii package would be $375 all things considered and evaluated. That's like $125 for the console ($199 retail) and about 55-60% of the value of the games. So it's kind of a deal.

Here's what you'd get if you took advantage of this amazing offer:

- Wii console- practically new, owned by an adult, no smoking, etc. with everything you would have gotten in the retail box- 1 wiimote, 1 nunchuck, Wii Sports, the stupid little stand, and standard AV cables.

- Component cables, a $25 value, so you can display 8 bit NES games in 480p glory

- A Classic controller

- A black Gamecube controller

- A battery charger and two batteries so the Wiimote won't eat up all the AAs in the house

- a 2gb SD card that houses all of the VC/Wiiware games- all legit, no pirated stuff

And these games, all pre-loaded and playable off the SD card for your enjoyment:

NES
Ninja Gaiden
Super Mario Bros. 3
Kirby’s Adventure
Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream!

SNES
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts
Super Castlevania IV
Gradius III
Contra III: Alien Wars
R-Type III
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Axelay
Secret of Mana

Nintendo 64
Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Sin & Punishment
Paper Mario
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64

Sega Genesis
Gunstar Heroes
Alien Soldier

TurboGrafx-16
Blazing Lazers
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier
Alien Crush
Devil Crush
Ys Books 1&2
Lords of Thunder
Gates of Thunder
Gradius II

Neo-Geo
Samurai Showdown

WiiWare
World of Goo
Megaman 9
Swords and Soldiers

- And as a bonus, some Gamecube games. Eternal Darkness, which is probably the best GC game ever made, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer 7.

So it's a huge package, literally thousands and thousands of hours of fun to be had there and you get a bunch of the best games ever published.

So that's it, it's on the table. I want a PS3. I want to play UNCHARTED 2 and DEMON'S SOULS. Maybe even watch MGS4. If you're interested, PM me and we'll work it out. There's a number of ways we can do this trade, but the main thing is that I'm not interested in selling per se. I don't want to deal with getting the money, buying the PS3, and all that. I want to send you the Wii and get a new or used PS3 in the mail. With River around and my wife back working, it's tough to get out to do stuff like that these days.

Hit me up if you want to talk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2010 15:20 #57982 by Michael Barnes
A couple of things I didn't make clear- a used PS3 is fine, we could work out some kind of three-way deal where you ship me a console from Amazon or something, and I wouldn't completely rule out a sale if you talk real nice to me.

More
19 Mar 2010 15:23 #57983 by Gary Sax
Damn, you do have some badass VC stuff.

More
19 Mar 2010 15:28 #57984 by Michael Barnes
Hey, when the best is available...buy the best!

Lots of awesome shmups there too...and actually, I left the original R-TYPE for TG-16 off the list, I have that too. Impossible game.

More
19 Mar 2010 15:36 #57985 by Mr. White
Eternal Darkness was fantastic. An underrated game for sure.

More
19 Mar 2010 15:42 #57986 by Michael Barnes
Shit, there's another one I left off the list, CASTLEVANIA III: DRACULA'S CURSE.

More
19 Mar 2010 15:58 #57987 by jeb
Jack Hooligan wrote:

Eternal Darkness was fantastic. An underrated game for sure.

I would say it's underplayed, not underrated--it's universally praised.

As a longtime gameur, I can assure you good peoples that this is a great fucking deal. If you have young kids, this is an investment in your future, because this shit will keep them so busy over the next few years you'll have to see them by appointment. If I didn't have a Wii, Wavebird, and half of these already, I'd be all over this.

More
19 Mar 2010 15:58 - 19 Mar 2010 16:03 #57988 by Mr. White
Michael Barnes wrote:

Shit, there's another one I left off the list, CASTLEVANIA III: DRACULA'S CURSE.

Greatest Castlevania game of all-time.

Also, nice to see Axelay on your list. That was a fun mode 7 snes shooter. That and UN Squadron (Area 88) where probably my favorites.

This collection is a great catch for someone. Add a KOEI (back when they made turn-based strategy games) and a Street Fighter II game, and this list would serve as a collection of games any videogamer should own. :)

At the least, allow someone to play a bunch of classics they may have missed.

(EDIT: Hmmm...Sin and Punishment. Wasn't that import only? Any good?)
Last edit: 19 Mar 2010 16:03 by Mr. White.

More
19 Mar 2010 16:07 #57989 by Gary Sax
UN squadron is great. I still remember the day my roomate and I killed hitler in it.

More
19 Mar 2010 16:10 #57990 by Michael Barnes
I really hate to let it all go, but this system is more or less just an archive now and I'd actively play a PS3. I thought about keeping it for when River gets old enough to get into this stuff, but that's 5-6-7 years down the line and I'm pretty sure by then there'll be another way to get this stuff.

SIN & PUNISHMENT was in fact an import-only thing, they have it on VC for a premium price. It's pretty good, a little overhyped. Kind of a better take on the SPACE HARRIER idea in a lot of ways. It's Treasure though, and it has that Treasure quality to it. There's a sequel coming as a full Wii game this year.

AXELAY is great- it's just a fun game to play through. Not too terribly difficult, not too long.

More
19 Mar 2010 16:17 - 19 Mar 2010 16:27 #57991 by Mr. White
My parents where in the midst of a move last year and found our old Atari 2600 in their basement. instead of selling it for pennies, I set it up in my garage (where we do most gaming) for two reasons. 1) it's the only system that can seemingly stand up to the Texas heat and still function and 2) so my son can play some classics when he's a few years older.

However, the Atari 2600 games haven't aged well at all. Outside of Combat, Warlords, Missile Command, Joust and _maybe_ Wizard of Wor, the games stink. At least the NES and SNES games are still playable to modern tastes. Well, to mine I suppose.

(EDIT: Sorry to derail this thread. Great set of games, Barnes!)
Last edit: 19 Mar 2010 16:27 by Mr. White.

More
19 Mar 2010 16:24 #57992 by Michael Barnes
Some have held up, but some haven't at all. SUPER MARIO BROS., SUPER MARIO BROS 3, have. LEGEND OF ZELDA and KID ICARUS haven't.

The 16-bit era stuff really has held up well though. But I do think that the 8-bit era is slipping into complete obsolecence outside of the big games like MEGA MAN, CASTLEVANIA, and all.

More
19 Mar 2010 16:36 #57994 by jeb
Before I reply, I want to reparent Barnes' post: He wants someone to send him a PS3 and couple of newish games for the following in return:

- Wii console- practically new, owned by an adult, no smoking, etc. with everything you would have gotten in the retail box- 1 wiimote, 1 nunchuck, Wii Sports, the stupid little stand, and standard AV cables.

- Component cables, a $25 value, so you can display 8 bit NES games in 480p glory

- A Classic controller

- A black Gamecube controller

- A battery charger and two batteries so the Wiimote won't eat up all the AAs in the house

- a 2gb SD card that houses all of the VC/Wiiware games- all legit, no pirated stuff

And these games, all pre-loaded and playable off the SD card for your enjoyment:

NES
Ninja Gaiden
Super Mario Bros. 3
Kirby’s Adventure
Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream!

SNES
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts
Super Castlevania IV
Gradius III
Contra III: Alien Wars
R-Type III
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Axelay
Secret of Mana

Nintendo 64
Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Sin & Punishment
Paper Mario
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64

Sega Genesis
Gunstar Heroes
Alien Soldier

TurboGrafx-16
Blazing Lazers
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier
Alien Crush
Devil Crush
Ys Books 1&2
Lords of Thunder
Gates of Thunder
Gradius II

Neo-Geo
Samurai Showdown

WiiWare
World of Goo
Megaman 9
Swords and Soldiers

- And as a bonus, some Gamecube games. Eternal Darkness, which is probably the best GC game ever made, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer 7.

Jack Hooligan wrote:

My parents where in the midst of a move last year and found our old Atari 2600 in their basement. instead of selling it for pennies, I set it up in my garage (where we do most gaming) for two reasons. 1) it's the only system that can seemingly stand up to the Texas heat and still function and 2) so my son can play some classics when he's a few years older.

However, the Atari 2600 games haven't aged well at all. Outside of Combat, Warlords, Missile Command, Joust and _maybe_ Wizard of Wor, the games stink. At least the NES and SNES games are still playable to modern tastes. Well, to mine I suppose.

No, they did not age well at all. The VCS/2600 was a really crummy platform to program for, and the cheap bastards running the place didn't make things any easier. Ever wonder why PAC-MAN was so shitty? Because they only let the coder (THE coder) use the 4k ROMs, even though 8k's were available and they only gave him six weeks to deliver the game. It's March 19. I need you to code Pac-Man in 4k before May . Get to work.

More
19 Mar 2010 16:51 #57996 by mjl1783
If I didn't already have a Wii and most of those games, I'd do the deal. My PS3 just sits around collecting dust. The interface is pretty sucky, multi-plats are usually better on 360, and while it's got some good exclusives, I haven't played anything I'd say was great on it yet.

More
19 Mar 2010 17:16 - 19 Mar 2010 17:24 #57998 by Michael Barnes
MJ, is there anything you would trade your PS3 for? Or what would your selling point be? I have board games if you want those. I'd love to do a PS3 for board games trade. I've got a couple of things I've been thinking about trading- AGE OF RENAISSANCE, DIVINE RIGHT, TIDE OF IRON plus DAYS OF THE FOX, TITAN...games I like, but rarely play enough to keep them around...

I really want it just for the exclusives, all multiplat stuff is for the 360 as far as I'm concerned. But there's some _great_ exclusives, and I think that the PS3 is going to outlast the 360 over the next couple of years.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2010 17:24 by Michael Barnes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds