October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Trading a big Wii package, if you're interested...

More
19 Mar 2010 17:28 #58000 by maka
Can't believe you're trading the wii when some of the best games for it are just around the corner: Sin and Punishment 2 and the new Metroid both seem to be amazing... and Mario Galazy 2 seems pretty good too...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2010 17:53 #58001 by Michael Barnes
The really awesome games for Wii have been just around the corner for four years now.

METROID: OTHER M lost my interest when it was revealed that the original design was a fucking rail shooter. Which isn't necessarily bad, it's just there's like ten of them for the Wii as it is, and who wants METROID to be a rail shooter? Apparently the developers changed it some, but the shooting bits are still completely on rails. Fuck that.

SMG2...more of SMG. One of the best platform games ever published, but same setting? I'm sure it will be good, but I'd still rather be playing DEMON'S SOULS.

Nintendo games are _fun_. They're awesome. But one thing they're not doing is pushing any envelopes. Not to say that PS3 and 360 are hotbeds of innovation per se, but the really interesting design work is going on there.

More
19 Mar 2010 18:17 #58002 by maka
I'm not so excited about SMG2, but we'll get it (my son can't stop playing the first one). There's something the original SM64 had that none of the other 3D sequels have managed to replicate...

Anyway, from what I've read, the new Metroid is going to be closer to the 2D Metroid games (and it'll be controlled with the d-pad), which is what really got me excited. It seems when you point at the screen, you go to a first person view where you can point and shoot but can't move. So even if on-rails was part of the design at some point, it doesn't seem to be there now...

And I thought you'd be excited for S&P2. To me S&P was one of the best games on the VC and it's one of the shooters I enjoy the most. Right when I played it first I started wishing for a sequel on the wii where you can actually shoot by pointing the remote at the screen (the controls of the original are what I liked less, but even then it was an amazing N64 game)

More
19 Mar 2010 19:02 #58003 by mjl1783
MJ, is there anything you would trade your PS3 for?

Like I told metalface the other day, I'm always willing to accept souls. Just sayin'.

Anyway, from what I've read, the new Metroid is going to be closer to the 2D Metroid games (and it'll be controlled with the d-pad)

You mean like in New Super Mario Bros., Punch-Out!!!, Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, or any other good Nintendo game that just goes to show how much the controller sucks when used as anything other than a pointer or an NES joypad?

More
19 Mar 2010 19:05 #58004 by jeb
maka wrote:

I'm not so excited about SMG2, but we'll get it (my son can't stop playing the first one). There's something the original SM64 had that none of the other 3D sequels have managed to replicate...

Anyway, from what I've read, the new Metroid is going to be closer to the 2D Metroid games (and it'll be controlled with the d-pad), which is what really got me excited. It seems when you point at the screen, you go to a first person view where you can point and shoot but can't move. So even if on-rails was part of the design at some point, it doesn't seem to be there now...

And I thought you'd be excited for S&P2. To me S&P was one of the best games on the VC and it's one of the shooters I enjoy the most. Right when I played it first I started wishing for a sequel on the wii where you can actually shoot by pointing the remote at the screen (the controls of the original are what I liked less, but even then it was an amazing N64 game)

I agree. The concept and execution of SIN & PUNISHMENT are pretty fucking amazing, but the controls are a bitch. If you could point to shoot? This game is going to rock socks. For those that don't know--it's a rail shooter. You have movement in 1 dimension, rolls, doublejumps, target lock (weak shot), manual aim (strong shot), and a sword attack (REALLY strong) that replaces shots when enemies are close. it's just loaded with big enemies and action and it's super bright and colorful.

I was thinking OTHER M was going to be like SHADOW COMPLEX, but I like maka's rumors more.

SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 is a pre-order purchase for me. SMG was great, great, great. LOVED it. Best Mario I ever played. It's not a totally open world like most of the SUPER MARIO 64 worlds--they have yet to replicate that, and I doubt they will--that level design must be a bitch and half.

More
19 Mar 2010 19:11 #58005 by Schweig!
How about Barnes sends his Wii stuff to me, mjl sends his PS3 to Barnes and I send my soul to mjl?

More
19 Mar 2010 19:21 #58007 by mjl1783
How about Barnes sends his Wii stuff to me, mjl sends his PS3 to Barnes and I send my soul to mjl?

Works for me! I've always fancied the souls of virgins.

More
21 Mar 2010 10:32 #58036 by generalpf
I've had a Wii for a year and just bought a PS3 but I can't imagine trading the Wii for it. Considering you already have a 360 for which most of the PS3 titles are available anyway, you're nuts. You're trading the ability to play stuff like Little King's Story and Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Uncharted and Demon's Souls?

I think you're overestimating the value of the VC titles on the Wii... that stuff is ridiculously easy to download and play on an emulator on the PC. I did buy a couple VC titles myself but only so my kid could play them without hogging the computer.

More
22 Mar 2010 13:28 #58109 by Michael Barnes
LITTLE KING STORY sucked. After about five hours, I traded it as quickly as I could. It was irritating. I don't really care much for PIKMIN style games to begin with, but between the music and look of the game, I couldn't bear it.

Yeah, you can play pretty much any VC game on an emulator...but they're still purchased, legal copies of the game. I think they're worth about half what I paid, maybe a dollar or two less.

I hooked up the Wii last night just to putz around...I dunno, I may hang on to it because I doubt I'll get what I should if I were to sell it. I wanted CAVE STORY, but $15 is a bit much for what used to be a free game. If anyone has a copy of NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII, I'll give you a board game for it. That might convince me to hold on to it.

S&P2 might be good...the first one is awesome, but yeah, the controls are just outrageously crap.

OTHER M, I don't know man...I'm hearing such mixed things about it. Some really like the 1st person, point-and-shoot stuff, others say it doesn't have much of a METROID feeling. Definitely a wait-and-see on that one.

More
22 Mar 2010 16:46 #58157 by mjl1783
If anyone has a copy of NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII, I'll give you a board game for it. That might convince me to hold on to it.

I'm listening. Whatcho got?

More
22 Mar 2010 16:58 #58159 by Michael Barnes
I dunno, probably not much you're really interested in...do you have a want list?

Some stuff I've been thinking about trading:

Hold the Line
Wilderness War
Tide of Iron plus Days of the Fox
Age of Renaissance (sorry, not for NSMB alone!)
Divine Right anniversary edition (ditto!)
Pandemic plus On the Brink expansion
Prince of Chaos: Battle for Tae Orn
Goldland
Middle-Earth Quest (love it, but likelihood of playing often enough to keep is very low)

More
22 Mar 2010 17:04 - 22 Mar 2010 17:06 #58161 by mjl1783
I might do it for Prince of Chaos. Did you play it, and if so, could you give me an opinion on it?

EDIT: I do have a want and wish lists over at BGG, but most of it is stuff you wouldn't give up if you had it anyway.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2010 17:06 by mjl1783.

More
22 Mar 2010 17:16 #58164 by Michael Barnes
No, I didn't play it, it's unpunched. It looks awesome, but it's one that the folks around here aren't keen on playing. If it played up to five, I'd have a table for it but with four...no one wants to give it a chance. It almost made the table once as a two player, but Billy looked at the rules and didn't feel like learning it.

It's very interesting, each player has a book for all their units, it's got a lot of uncommon detail...it's definitely a deeper fantasy game than what we usually see.

I'd definitely do that though, if you wanted to. I'd even throw in a can of Ten Fidy.

More
22 Mar 2010 17:47 #58169 by mjl1783
Ten Fidy, eh? Sounds like a deal to me.

More
22 Mar 2010 17:56 #58171 by Schweig!
Seems like I have to keep my lousy soul.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds