October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Games & comics eBay auctions

More
17 Apr 2010 00:01 - 17 Apr 2010 00:01 #60048 by dragonstout
Don't know if this is kosher, but if it's not it'll just fall quickly down the page...

...having a kid soon, so I put up a bunch of games and comics on eBay last weekend, good stuff like "We the People", Monsterpocalypse, Shadowfist, Space Hulk, Dungeonquest, Talisman 2E expansions, Blood Bowl, Promethea, Crumb sketchbooks (the ultimate editions!), Carl Barks duck stuff, Kurtzman Mad, Kirby...

...well, just go here to see the full list.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2010 00:01 by dragonstout.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2010 04:25 #60059 by dragonstout
Not trying to bump this, but to make up for shilling my eBay auctions, here's some smaller things that I'll just be selling to y'all and friends in town, though to be honest they were priced more to sell to friends in town (i.e. without thinking about shipping costs)

COMICS:
Garth Ennis' Punisher Max paperbacks vols. 1-4 & Punisher Born - $6 each
Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan: every paperback but the last one - $6 each
All four of Eddie Campbell's Alec books - $6 each
Ed Brubaker's Captain America: Winter Soldier first two books - $6 each
Ed Brubaker's Captain America Omnibus - $40
All Grant Morrison JLA paperbacks - first paperback is $3, second one is $4, the rest are all $6 each
Debbie Drechsler's Daddy's Girl - $4
Jack Kirby's Mister Miracle - $5
Howard Cruse's Stuck Rubber Baby - $6
Alan Moore's Promethea vols. 1 and 3 paperbacks - $6 each
Brian Michael Bendis' & David Mack's Daredevil: Wake Up - $4

GAMES:
Tide of Iron - $40
Tide of Iron: Days of the Fox expansion - $30
Beowulf: the Legend - $15 in shrinkwrap, never opened
Commands & Colors: Ancients - $30
Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #2: Rome and the Barbarians - $30
Drunter und Drueber - $15
Elfenland - $10
Win Place & Show - $10
Catan Card Game AND Expansion set - $20

Also: if someone wants to trade me big chunks of un-picked-through Jyhad cards (from the old Jyhad set), then that's pretty much all I'm looking for right now. That and Lion's Eye Diamonds (Magic card).

More
17 Apr 2010 14:48 #60090 by Dogmatix
I'll help run the prices up on your copy of WTP shortly :)

More
17 Apr 2010 15:23 #60091 by southernman
Dogmatix wrote:

Yeah - I thought that was an extremely low start price.

More
17 Apr 2010 15:41 #60095 by Stephen Avery
Threw a bid at a some Monpoc stuff. If it goes through I'll probably pick up a comic book tor two as well.

Steve"Mor_Plastyk"Avery

More
17 Apr 2010 17:32 #60105 by Dogmatix
Southernman wrote:

Dogmatix wrote:

It will pick up toward the end, but one word of warning to anyone looking to move shit on ebay these days. Because of the squishy economy and ebay's relentless move toward trying to become Buy.com, low-volume sellers are quitting that market and prices are *really* down on a lot of things. It's starting to pick up some simply because people are quitting it altogether and fewer copies are popping up than in the past, but there continue to be some really ridiculous deals to be had. I got a punched copy of the original (the one with real die-cut counters and color scenario cards/chapter dividers; this copy even included the updated map that you had to buy separately for $20+) Heat of Battle's Berlin: Red Vengeance ASL module for around $75. As recently as 18 months ago, this version was guaranteed to cost you anywhere from $150 to $250.

You might want to just eat any extra fees based on list price start rare games at higher opening bids and add a Buy it Now option that's a bit below the historical average (since few games seem to be fetching those numbers these days; a quick search of completed auctions will let you know which titles are slipping versus those that remain pretty "recession-proof" like the 1999 Hasbro Acquire [which I'm still looking for, by the way, in case anyone wants to make a quick $80], On To Richmond, Army Group Center, etc.) but closer to what you want for it in hopes of getting someone with more money than patience. The higher start price will deter the deluded guy who thinks he'll get, say GMT's Army Group Center for $10, giving the BIN option a chance to attract a quick sale.

More
17 Apr 2010 17:58 #60109 by southernman
Dogmatix wrote:

...that remain pretty "recession-proof" like the 1999 Hasbro Acquire [which I'm still looking for, by the way, in case anyone wants to make a quick $80]...

Someone just posted one for auction on the frontpage of BGG under hot deals, and got red flagged for his efforts.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:05 - 17 Apr 2010 18:13 #60110 by dragonstout
Dogmatix wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Dogmatix wrote:

It will pick up toward the end, but one word of warning to anyone looking to move shit on ebay these days. Because of the squishy economy and ebay's relentless move toward trying to become Buy.com, low-volume sellers are quitting that market and prices are *really* down on a lot of things. It's starting to pick up some simply because people are quitting it altogether and fewer copies are popping up than in the past, but there continue to be some really ridiculous deals to be had. I got a punched copy of the original (the one with real die-cut counters and color scenario cards/chapter dividers; this copy even included the updated map that you had to buy separately for $20+) Heat of Battle's Berlin: Red Vengeance ASL module for around $75. As recently as 18 months ago, this version was guaranteed to cost you anywhere from $150 to $250.

You might want to just eat any extra fees based on list price start rare games at higher opening bids and add a Buy it Now option that's a bit below the historical average (since few games seem to be fetching those numbers these days; a quick search of completed auctions will let you know which titles are slipping versus those that remain pretty "recession-proof" like the 1999 Hasbro Acquire [which I'm still looking for, by the way, in case anyone wants to make a quick $80], On To Richmond, Army Group Center, etc.) but closer to what you want for it in hopes of getting someone with more money than patience. The higher start price will deter the deluded guy who thinks he'll get, say GMT's Army Group Center for $10, giving the BIN option a chance to attract a quick sale.

Yeah, that might have been a good idea - I did have buy it nows for almost everything, but I figured the start price didn't matter since it'd get bid up to whatever the right price was anyway. Problem is, that only works if there's at least two people interested...

So if low-volume sellers are quitting eBay, where are they going? Where do I sell board games and comics and minis and stuff like that - Craigslist? BGG? F:AT? No offense to F:AT, but it still seems to me like just about any other site gets less eyeballs than eBay except for maybe Amazon which seems terrible for selling OOP comics, but maybe that's just because I'm an eBay dinosaur who's been using eBay to shop since it started.

I'm not too worried about the various low prices on the stuff I have up, though, since I'm well aware that 90% of the bids always come at the last second.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2010 18:13 by dragonstout.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:15 #60111 by Dogmatix
A number of folks I know have moved to Amazon's marketplace now that they've relented a little on their shipping policies [it used to be hard to charge more than $10 for games, which was a problem when a coast-to-coast 5lb box, which isn't uncommon for boardgames, could run $17-20] and a new site I just stumbled on called ecrater.com. In both cases, though, the emphasis is on stores, not auctions [though I think ecrater is an auction site too].

Ebay still has the highest number of eyeballs and quickest turn without question. It's just not as dependable a money maker as it used to be unless, you too, are going the store route. The rapidly increasing fees and insistence on paypal and heavy emphasis on "buyer's rights"--to the point where people can basically steal things by reversing paypal charges for about any ol' reason and ebay will likely uphold it--just seem designed to drive the low-volume guys off.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:20 #60114 by TheDukester
dragonstout wrote:

Still seems to me like just about any other site gets less eyeballs than eBay except for maybe Amazon which seems terrible for selling OOP comics ...

It is. With Amazon, I have an A-B-C-D theory:

Amazon is good for selling Books, CDs, and DVDs. (Clever, no?)

And that's about it; everything else doesn't seem to fit well into Amazon's rigid structure. And a word of warning about selling full-size boardgames there: the Amazon shipping allowance will not be enough to cover your expenses, not even at Media Mail rates. I have no idea who is setting the policy there, but they are reimbursing sellers for boardgames at the same rate they do for hardcover novels. It's asinine — $4.99 is not going to help me ship Arkham Horror, thanks just the same.

Currently, eBay is, as others have mentioned, pretty tough on individual small-fry sellers. I've had some success lately with combined lots, though. In other words, instead of selling, say, one Metagaming microgame, I'll sell three in one lot, along with an issue of the Space Gamer that discusses those games. Stuff like that -- anything to get noticed in the endless sea of BINs from fucking Troll & Toad.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:45 #60117 by Dogmatix
I thought Amazon finally relented on that shipping policy as I've certainly had >$5 shipping charges for some items through their marketplace. Guess I was wrong.

More
17 Apr 2010 19:48 #60124 by Stonecutter
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale is a $200 card now? When the hell did that happen?

More
17 Apr 2010 22:16 #60130 by dragonstout
Stonecutter wrote:

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale is a $200 card now? When the hell did that happen?

A few months ago. It's the most expensive card in Legacy now, thanks to being a Legends rare that's used in a few top-tier Legacy decks. Doubled its price overnight, practically. And that auction isn't over, I expect to go up a little still.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds