October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

eBay

More
16 Dec 2010 10:50 #82203 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:eBay
dan daly wrote:
" Sorry, I missed that this was Gygax's personal stash, before my last post. That explains the prices somewhat. Although anyone can scribble "Property of Gary Gygax" on anything they want....just saying...buyer beware....BEWARE!!!"
But they come with a Certificate of Authenticity! (Soon to be uploaded to TOS so you can add one to any game you desire...)

" Speaking of which anyone have any experience with 5th Column games? Their Pre-order LOST BATTLES looks cool, but $130 for a boardgame!? That's the discounted pre-order price plus shipping from UK to US. Thoughts?"
Part of the reason is because it contains a copy of the book, albeit the paperback. Seems like an odd decision as I doubt I'm the only one who already has it. Presumably it doesn't alter the price much. But £55 pre-order price and £65 normal? Well, that doesn't seem too bad given the component quantity. They don't want to publish the rules, citing book copyright as the reason, which puts off purchasers and they state that there's been some rules adaption for the game. So my take on it boils down to 'do I want to pay £55+shipping for some nice modular components?' And the answer is no, I'll stick with the book. Which is most of what we're paying for, right? The game design. But if you don't have the book, this looks like a good buy, assuming the component quality is also top-notch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2010 22:25 #82361 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:eBay
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThis is an odd item. I love me some Dungeon Twister...but I'm not sure I love it quite this much.

More
18 Dec 2010 22:38 - 19 Dec 2010 00:59 #82362 by Dogmatix
Notahandle wrote:

" Speaking of which anyone have any experience with 5th Column games? Their Pre-order LOST BATTLES looks cool, but $130 for a boardgame!? That's the discounted pre-order price plus shipping from UK to US. Thoughts?"
Part of the reason is because it contains a copy of the book, albeit the paperback. Seems like an odd decision as I doubt I'm the only one who already has it. Presumably it doesn't alter the price much. But £55 pre-order price and £65 normal? Well, that doesn't seem too bad given the component quantity. They don't want to publish the rules, citing book copyright as the reason, which puts off purchasers and they state that there's been some rules adaption for the game. So my take on it boils down to 'do I want to pay £55+shipping for some nice modular components?' And the answer is no, I'll stick with the book. Which is most of what we're paying for, right? The game design. But if you don't have the book, this looks like a good buy, assuming the component quality is also top-notch.

Same guys who did the solo game on the Falklands, Where There Is Discord (WTID). It's one of the most beautifully produced games I've ever owned and the game play is really quite good. I was impressed as hell with the whole package (as well as the fact that all profits went to one of the veteran relief organizations). And, yea, the price is about the same as WTID. If you're on the fence about Lost Battles, you might get lucky and save about $50 somewhere down the road if they work out the same deal they had with Noble Knight for US sales--in that case it was $90 with $10 shipping (from Wisconsin). However, it's worth nothing that, in that case, that deal came with the last batch of the original unplanned 2nd print run of that game. I don't know any of the details on how it came about, but I'd guess that Fifth Column worked something out with Noble Knight to take the remaining stock at a discount to sell to US buyers. I do know they didn't get many and it didn't last long once Noble Knight landed copies.

I'm less excited about Lost Battles than the alt-history solo game, Codeword Cromwell, they've got coming--hopefully--next year. Between the wretched exchange rate and the £30 ($45 or so these days) for shipping tacked on top, the price is just rough for buyers outside the UK. I will say, though, that if the product is of the same size and quality as WTID, the game will be the same size and heft as your average cinderblock.

Notahandle wrote:

And the Gygax trove is going for silly prices. Swords & Sorcery (SPI) first edition for $120, Battle of the Five Armies (TSR) for $162.50, and Metamorphosis Alpha (TSR) first edition for $247.50.
(Maybe I should sell mine...)

I'll send you one of the Gygax Certificates of Authenticity to go with it. There were some deals to be had in that mess if you were looking for SPI games. I snagged an unpunched copy of SPI's Battle for Stalingrad for $72 from that lot, which is a pretty decent deal for that title in that shape. I also picked up a couple of the GBACW titles at a bit of a discount on the market rate for unpunched copies. The fantasy stuff, though, went for insane prices, which was really funny in the case of unpunched/in-shrink stuff. Yes, it came from the "Gygax Collection"--and it was perfectly protected from the Man ever touching it ;)...
Last edit: 19 Dec 2010 00:59 by Dogmatix.

More
19 Dec 2010 08:00 #82372 by Notahandle
Dogmatix: Good to have confirmation that it's of the highest quality.
So for those of us in the UK the best price would be now, with a pre-order because it's unlikely to be reduced. For those over the Atlantic it's the other extreme, wait until the last minute and hope Noble Knight comes through. Maybe a US F:ATtie could start a thread, see how much interest there is, and maybe place a bulk order to save on shipping?

Dogmatix wrote:
" I'll send you one of the Gygax Certificates of Authenticity to go with it."
LOL!
" There were some deals to be had in that mess if you were looking for SPI games. I snagged an unpunched copy of SPI's Battle for Stalingrad for $72 from that lot, which is a pretty decent deal for that title in that shape. I also picked up a couple of the GBACW titles at a bit of a discount on the market rate for unpunched copies."
I forgot to look in until now and there's currently nothing for sale. Presumably they listed them all more than three days ago. I have the newsletter option checked, let's hope it can be trusted to tell me when new stuff gets listed...
" The fantasy stuff, though, went for insane prices, which was really funny in the case of unpunched/in-shrink stuff. Yes, it came from the "Gygax Collection"--and it was perfectly protected from the Man ever touching it ;)..."
But, but, the fanboys will have his fingerprints all over the shrinkwrap! They'll probably add a layer to preserve them. :)

More
19 Dec 2010 14:24 - 19 Dec 2010 14:30 #82402 by Dogmatix
Notahandle wrote:

Dogmatix: Good to have confirmation that it's of the highest quality.
So for those of us in the UK the best price would be now, with a pre-order because it's unlikely to be reduced. For those over the Atlantic it's the other extreme, wait until the last minute and hope Noble Knight comes through. Maybe a US F:ATtie could start a thread, see how much interest there is, and maybe place a bulk order to save on shipping?

If you're in the UK and have any interest, I'd absolutely say "buy now" as I think the final price on this is going to be £75+ and you're still going to be paying shipping anyway as it doesn't appear Fifth Column has any kind of distribution deal. I think it's a straight "out of the garage" ["carpark" is more accurate I guess ;)] operation.

As far as US goes, I actually thought about trying to work out a group purchase deal with them because I was sure I could drum up 10 purchases. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the whole "economy of scale" element is going to be fucked by the size of the game--individual games are large, heavy and thus expensive to ship on an individual basis. However, they'll be coming to the US by air and will possibly be delivered to Chicago and the US east coast (where the 2 large international air mail hubs are) before they hit the more remote parts of the UK via standard Royal Post. (I actually got my copy of WTID before several geeks in Scotland because I live 10 miles from one of the largest east coast mail hubs at Dulles Airport--it went from plane to truck to my front door 2 days before the Royal Mail truck made it up to Peat Country).

Conversely, a small crate with a dozen copies would likely have to ship by surface mail to the US (6+ weeks these days) at which point it will almost certainly park in customs and I suspect I'd then be on the hook to to pay some sort of duty ["ransom" would be the more accurate term] because the value would be greater than $1,000. If I still had my old freelance business set up, I could probably figure a way to finagle things to offset those costs as business expenses, but that's not really an option for me, so it would be an additional late-breaking out-of-pocket cost that I would have to pass along to all the buyers.

What I was thinking might be possible would be to band a group of folks together to talk to Noble Knight or maybe one of my 2 favorite dealers--Wargame Depot or Gamers Armory--about getting a preorder deal together. Have the business work out a deal with Fifth Column and we preorder from the vendor. It would still have to be a cash-up-front deal to protect the vendor's up front costs--which isn't my favorite way of doing business with small publishers. However, 5th Column didn't fuck about with preorder monies on WTID and someone like Jason at Wargame Depot or Scott at Gamers Armory (probably more well known to ASL gamers as he's a 1-stop shop for all things ASL and has done enough online business to actually finance the opening of a real brick & mortar store outside of Raleigh, NC) has always been a dependable vendor.

Wargame Depot Jason has gone out of his way to work something out with Art Lupinacci at L2 Design to sell his games in the US even though Art hasn't had a distribution deal in a while, so he might be open to it if a critical mass of US buyers would commit their dollars to the deal. I don't know if he'd be able to get the price below $100 shipped, but even $100 would be a substantial savings over the $143 (after exchange rate and currency conversion fees) that the preorder currently runs US buyers.

Notahandle wrote:

I forgot to look in until now and there's currently nothing for sale. Presumably they listed them all more than three days ago. I have the newsletter option checked, let's hope it can be trusted to tell me when new stuff gets listed...

" The fantasy stuff, though, went for insane prices, which was really funny in the case of unpunched/in-shrink stuff. Yes, it came from the "Gygax Collection"--and it was perfectly protected from the Man ever touching it ;)..."

But, but, the fanboys will have his fingerprints all over the shrinkwrap! They'll probably add a layer to preserve them. :)

Hah. I'll be punching my copies out right away--and the GBACW stuff will end up having the boxes tossed into the attic after I combine all the game bits into one of those heavy duty 3" GMT boxes.

As for the vendor in question [for the Gygax Estate Collection], they never got back to me when I asked for an invoice total because I think the shipping rates were about 30% too high--they just didn't acknowledge any question on combined shipping (I'd be satisfied if they just told me they don't combine shipping--not happy, mind you, but satisfied, at least). I ended up paying $21 for what I expect will be a $13 box (assuming they do actually combine boxes--I've seen a few of these dealers actually box all games individually before they list them so that they can just pop labels on and post them. If I get 4 separate boxes, I'll just be aggravated; if I get 1 box and they don't refund excess shipping costs, I'll be savaging them on the feedback). So, I'd suggest waiting to see what the feedback is since not combining shipping to reduce costs for an international buyer is going to be an even bigger bite in the ass.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2010 14:30 by Dogmatix.

More
02 Jan 2011 21:33 #83372 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:eBay
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationI know people like to shit all over it, but this game is still balls:

More
03 Jan 2011 09:03 #83394 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:eBay
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationClassic Avalon Hill dinosaur game, rarely seen on eBay UK or Europe - ignore the $$ price, this is for sale in the UK.

More
04 Jan 2011 17:44 #83503 by Notahandle
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationAny F:ATtie had a stonkingly huge year-end bonus?

More
15 Jan 2011 08:05 #84770 by Notahandle
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationMaybe this one will be more to someone's taste:-

More
19 Jan 2011 15:34 #85155 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re:eBay
I've got a bunch of Jyhad/VTES preconstructed decks for the original Camarilla clans up on eBay, as well as a couple preconstructed Shadowfist decks (I'll throw in some extra self-made decks for free if one of you guys buys them):

shop.ebay.com/dragonstout83/m.html

More
21 Jan 2011 11:23 #85268 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:eBay
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThe Gothic Game on ebay.co.uk for all the UK Fatties (I've asked and he won't change his mind on shipping outside the UK *sigh*). You could always pick it up as sweet trade bait here or on TOS, or pick it up for someone on this side of the pond, who would gladly reimburse you for your time and expenses ;).

More
21 Jan 2011 17:03 - 22 Jan 2011 07:59 #85321 by Notahandle
Thanks, I am tempted, especially since MattDP mentioned here that it normally goes for the "local equivalent of maybe $15-20".

EDIT- Hmm, I notice that the one bidder has only bid on this and only sold three items...

EDIT- In the end I decided not to bid. For something that I might use in a trade, £20 seemed not worth it on spec. Maybe next time.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 07:59 by Notahandle.

More
21 Jan 2011 17:04 #85322 by dragonstout
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationAlmalik wrote:

The Gothic Game on ebay.co.uk for all the UK Fatties (I've asked and he won't change his mind on shipping outside the UK *sigh*). You could always pick it up as sweet trade bait here or on TOS, or pick it up for someone on this side of the pond, who would gladly reimburse you for your time and expenses ;).

Dang...I've got notifcations set for Gothic Game, and it's never shown up on this side of the pond. If someone in the UK picked it up, I think there'd be a lot of interested people over here...

Also, bumping my auctions again, but only because I put up a bunch more auctions, for Dreamblade, Monsterpocalypse, and DUNE!!!:

shop.ebay.com/dragonstout83/m.html

More
21 Jan 2011 17:09 #85323 by Notahandle
dragonstout: I might have been interested in Dreamblade, but Night Fusion's postage is $45 to the UK. USPS sucks!!

More
22 Jan 2011 12:57 #85373 by dragonstout
Is there a better way to send stuff like that? It's heavy, the Night Fusion box.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds