October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome Finals: Dominion vs. Puzzlestrike

More
28 Feb 2013 02:20 #145649 by Ken B.

Stormcow wrote: I mean, maybe I am dumb here, but how often in Puzzle Strike's end game would you not want to play a Crash Gem if you have the opportunity? When would you not counter crash if you had the opportunity? I would guess it comes up just as often as a decision to not buy a Province.

I have had many turns where I have an action and a Crash Gem in hand and opt for the action. The missing link for you is probably this: Crashes of small size are likely to be Countercrashed, prolonging the game and giving your opponent room to breathe. It's really weird to think about...you'd think spamming Crashes over and over again would bury your opponent. But many times it gives him or her the opportunity to lower their own pile with countercrashes, which is the opposite of what a rushdown character wants.

So you're better off to wait until you make 4-Gems, which are uncounterable. This is HUGE. Also--thematic. If you play Super Puzzle Fighter and play lots of tiny crashes, your opponent is going to form them into huge counter attacks and destroy you. So you want to wait until you have giant gems to crash, to increase how quickly they get buried by gems and also lower their amount of time to respond to the attack--responding to one large attack at once rather than several small ones over time.

Yes, I've played way too much Puzzle Strike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2013 05:04 - 28 Feb 2013 05:58 #145660 by FourthDimensional
Crashing or counter-crashing every time you have the opportunity is a rookie mistake. Pile bonus makes a huge difference-- especially early game or when you're thin-decking.

Think of it like this... If I only have 12 chips in my deck, having at least three gems in my pile means that I will go through my whole deck in two turns, allowing me to make use of my new chips much sooner. If I have less than three gems in my pile, though, I have to wait an additional turn before I can start using my new stuff. On top of this, you don't get money for most counter-crashes because they don't occur on your own action phase. The money listed on the crash chip is wasted.

So, basically... If you're holding 4 1's and a Crash Gem with 2 pile, and your opponent sends a gem your way? Let him. He's helping you and may or may not be realizing it. If you drop your Crash Gem to counter-crash, you kill a gem from your pile as well as the one coming your way, leaving you with a 4-buy and only 5 chips in your next hand. If you wait and crash on your turn, you only kill one gem, keeping 3 in your pile. You get a 5-buy and 6 chips in your next hand. Use that to buy a 3-gem from the bank that you might even get to use only two turns from now, instead of a 2-gem that you won't get to use until three turns from now.

Also like Ken noted, if you're going for rushdown you never want to countercrash, and you never want to crash when your opponent might countercrash. Countercrashing removes pile gems from the game, by definition making the game last longer. Barring a few rare puzzle chips that throw things off, a game with no countercrashing would end in 10 turns maximum. There's no way you can have 20+ gems ante'd without someone either countercrashing or dying.

I know of the Penultimate Province Rule, but tbqh none of my examples violate it, as they were concerned with buying the very last Province, or buying your 7th province in a 1v1 game. If the Penultimate Province would be your 7th Province then 99 times out of 100 you buy the damn thing. Your opponent won't buy the last one because he'll lose if he does, unless he has a ton of Duchies and Estates to consider. Maybe he'll try to buy more Duchies and Estates, but that's short-lived because next turn you'll buy the last one if you can and end the game anyway.

Edit: I think there's some confusion here that further highlights the difference between these two games. Stormcow's post refers to the "endgame" of Puzzle Strike, as if Puzzle Strike really has something analogous to Dominion's "endgame" where players have switched from buying econ and engine stuff into actually buying victory points.

If Dominion is a race, this endgame is like the last lap. But Puzzle Strike doesn't have this. It is possible-- though rare due to the asymmetric character chips-- for two opponents with equally strong economies to switch to purples and start trying to kill each other. Strangely, though, this does not end the game. It makes the game take freaking forever.

Normally in PS, this won't occur because at any given time one player is much more likely to win if they go for a rushdown than if they let the game continue. If you're the guy who should be playing rushdown and you don't realize it in time, normally you just get creamed 10 turns later. Every once in a while, though, two monster late-game decks collide. These are almost always drawn out slugfests determined by luck of the draw, unless somebody pulls out something indirect like Stolen Purples to trip the other guy up.

BTW I'd also like to add that Stormcow is making a very good case and that Dominion is still a good game. My arguments are just more pointed that they might otherwise be because this thread is supposed to a a "bloodbath" and what-not. <,<
Last edit: 28 Feb 2013 05:58 by FourthDimensional.

More
03 Mar 2013 06:04 #145973 by KingPut
The votes are in:

Dominion = 10

Puzzle Strike = 11

Rune Age = 1 JonJacob protest vote

But then Woodall change the vote from Puzzle Strike to Rune Age.

Woodall wrote: I'm changing my vote to Rune Age with the level headed Barbarian.

So the vote is:

Dominion = 10

Puzzle Strike = 10

Rune Age = 2

I'm very tempted to vote for Rune Age in protest but I can't have Dominion being tied for the best deck building game on F:AT so I'll vote for Puzzle Strike.

The winner is Puzzle Strike
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds