October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

VideoDome! Jackson's Middle Earth vs Lucas' Star Wars

More
25 Feb 2015 00:32 #198232 by blatz
The Hobbit trilogy and the Star Wars prequels cancel each other out as they're both...just awful.

The LOTR trilogy are probably technically better films but the original 1977 Star Wars has so much more personality. It feels like a labor of love by a guy never dreaming it would even get released. In The Empire Strikes Back, Lucas gambled big and made a Muppet into a believable major character. That was fucking ballsy. The pacing of the film from the Battle of Hoth until the Falcon hides in the space slug is incredible, non-stop action. Really solid film-making. Also, has there ever been a more shocking reveal than Vader being Luke's father? People talked about that for years! Return of the Jedi had...Princess Leia almost naked.

Jackson had some of the most well-known source material of all time and hundreds of millions of marketing dollars behind him. The movies were guaranteed hits well before they were released. As much as I love LOTR I have to say Star Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2015 14:12 #198263 by Colorcrayons
My sentiments directly reflect Barney's as well. I love middle earth, but in this case...

Star wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Feb 2015 14:49 #198266 by drewcula
www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composit...-star-wars-prequels/

I found this theory positively fascinating. It's a long read, but worth the investment.

Link posted - I side with Star Wars

More
26 Feb 2015 02:11 - 26 Feb 2015 20:05 #198327 by DeletedUser
I just recently rewatched all six Star Wars movies with my kids after having not seen any of the original trilogy for 20+ years and only ever having watched the first of the prequels. My kids loved them. Me, not so much. I was surprised at just how badly the OT are holding up. Special effects are still great and ahead of their time, but the acting, dialog and pacing really wasn't great. And while the prequels did get better after the abysmal first, they ultimately pale in comparison to the OT and I will probably never watch them again.

On the other hand, Jackson's LoTR trilogy is hard to fault other than a couple of corny Legolas manoeuvres and an overly drawn out RoTK ending. I actually enjoyed all three of The Hobbit movies too even though they were mostly lighter and more campy, and I'm looking forward to a repeat marathon screening of all six movies in the not-too-distant future. I guess I just find it really easy to get immersed in the Tolkien world while watching LoTR and The Hobbit to a greater degree than I ever did with Star Wars.

Vote: Middle Earth

with apologies to X-Wing.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2015 20:05 by DeletedUser.

More
26 Feb 2015 17:11 #198375 by ubarose

engineer Al wrote: Wow, interesting competition. I was blown away by the first movies in both of these series, but then seriously disappointed by both as they went on. I have never seen the sixth movie of either series because I refused to waste any more money or time after seeing nothing but consistent crap. Crap after crap. Crappity crap crap crap. Crap as in I can't believe how much crap this is. Like not even watching a movie any more but just watching someone else play a video game that is based loosely on a crappy movie. Especially the prequels in both cases. Not only were they crap on their own, but in a sense turned the great movies that preceded them into crap. Crap CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP! Useless characters in useless story lines with huge budget special effects that just add up to money grabbing crap. So much crap that i can't even care anymore. More crap than the NYC sewer system could handle in a year. Just CRAP! Crap I tell you! Crap that craps on itself! How DARE they serve up such a plate of hot steaming crap CRAP crsjfnfoksrgkfl frfmwrfjfkrkew. "42;@8$24(&@'fkl. . .ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

VOTE: Star Wars

The foundation of a happy marriage is to have shared values regarding the really important things in life.

VOTE: Star Wars

More
27 Feb 2015 08:40 #198405 by SuperflyPete
Star Wars. Clearly.

Lightsabers > Anything else.

More
02 Mar 2015 10:00 #198618 by Egg Shen
While I think that the LoTR movies are technically superior and featuring a much better story that packs an emotional wallop by the end....I gotta go with Star Wars. The simple fact is that it was an original idea. Jackson was working off the most prominent fantasy story in existence and he knocked it out of the park, but I'll give it up for the original idea every time. Star Wars was science fiction...but packed in fantasy as well. It was futuristic, but quaint and dirty. The films took ideas from everything like Western Films to Samurai films. You got to see shootouts and sword fights. You encountered dense characters as well as wonderful creatures. Plus the costumes, characters and ideas have all become so iconic. Darth Vader, Chewie, the lightsabers, the Millennium Falcon, Leia's hair in Star Wars, her slave outfit in Jedi, Boba Fett and so much more.

I'm not going to include the prequels because I simply don't feel like it. Both trilogies are incredible, but Star Wars created something special that we really haven't ever seen since.

Vote Star Wars.

More
02 Mar 2015 12:59 - 02 Mar 2015 13:00 #198646 by SebastianBludd
If we're talking the entire saga then Middle Earth is the winner; it's not really that close. The Hobbit trilogy and the SW prequels both have bad CGI but the Hobbit's more competently made with action sequences that are more fun than what's in the prequels. It's ridiculous how the SW fanboys have succeeded in drawing this false equivalency between both prequel trilogies as if they're both equally terrible. The Hobbit movies are bloated and underwhelming with cheap-looking CGI. The SW prequels are raging dumpster fires that look worse with each passing year.

Vote Middle Earth
Last edit: 02 Mar 2015 13:00 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, DeletedUser

More
02 Mar 2015 13:46 #198654 by lj1983
gawd, the Star Wars prequels are horrendous. I haven't watched the last hobbit, but the first two were better movies than the SW prequels.

Still, as much as I enjoyed the LOTR movies, they draaaag at times.

Vote Star Wars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds