October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CollectionDome - Small vs Large, baby!

More
15 Jan 2015 15:27 - 15 Jan 2015 15:28 #195283 by ChristopherMD
Its not Freudian!

Small Collection Pros:
* Assuming you supply the games you'll get to play your favorites more.
* Less time deciding what to play due to less choices.
* Takes up less space, which is mandatory for some.

Large Collection Pros:
* Lots of choices for what to play.
* Better for game night hosts who get table overflow or random people (goes with below).
* More likely to find something everyone likes.

I don't think small collections are necessarily cheaper. Someone can have a single game, like Magic, that costs more than my entire bookcase of games. Or someone who buys every FFG expansion for two products is probably spending a lot more frequently than me.

So what's your preferred collection size?
Last edit: 15 Jan 2015 15:28 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2015 15:41 #195286 by san il defanso
I didn't become a big trader out of some philosophical conviction over having too many games, but rather because that's simply what I needed to do if I wanted more games. That said I do find the advantages of a small collection to be pretty nice. That'd get my vote.

But one distinct disadvantage of having a small collection is that you don't often get the new games that everyone really wants to play. That's a bigger issue when you are breaking into a new group.

More
15 Jan 2015 15:46 #195287 by SuperflyPete
I like my collections like my hernias: SMALL

More
15 Jan 2015 15:46 #195288 by Attrition
My collection is small (15-20) because I don't have time to play games that often. I don't have any principled stand against having a large collection though. If I had ye olde bag of holding with thousands of games in it that would be great! However, the requirements in time, money, and storage space that it takes to accumulate a large collection do not fit my lifestyle.

More
15 Jan 2015 15:54 #195290 by SuperflyPete
Well, to be fair, mine's closer to 70 titles. Maybe that's not as small.

Now, if you want to talk about miniatures and terrain, then we're in a whole different league. Thousands upon thousands of models, buildings, etc. I could literally have a small store.

More
15 Jan 2015 16:04 #195292 by Space Ghost
You're in denial Pete -- you must include the miniatures!

BTW (even though this is not the place for it) -- I got those Dark World expansions -- thanks for the lead.

Although, that leads me into my vote: Big Collection! Big enough to hold two expansions from a middling game from the 90s (but it looks fucking absurdly awesome on the table).

More
15 Jan 2015 16:10 #195294 by SuperflyPete
Dark World FTW

More
15 Jan 2015 16:11 #195295 by Bull Nakano
I'm thinking a big collection is 100+ games, since I have somewhere between 250-300, I'm going to have to say big.

I really like card games, I'd say more than half my collection is small card games. My big box games I'm much more conscious about. Maybe it's because they're so big so I see them more, but if a big box game is sitting on my shelf and I haven't played it in a while and have no desire to, I'll throw it up for trade. I rarely do this with card games so they do tend to accumulate a little more.

Nothing against small collections at all, I think that mindset is real cool, it just isn't for me at this time.

More
15 Jan 2015 16:14 #195296 by Space Ghost

Bull Nakano wrote:
Nothing against small collections at all, I think that mindset is real cool, it just isn't for me at this time.

This is CollectionDome! Get this "different strokes for different folks" business out of here.

You better get into line, Bull, or I will send my collection over to subsume your collection -- for an even bigger collection...

More
15 Jan 2015 16:19 #195299 by Bull Nakano
You small collection pukes make me sick! I love dumping all my game boxes into the bathtub once a year and rolling around naked in them! You and your hoity toity twenty games couldn't even cover your ankles!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, DeletedUser, Attrition

More
15 Jan 2015 16:23 - 15 Jan 2015 16:24 #195300 by Space Ghost
{Mollified by Bull's repentance, Space Ghost's collection settles back down for more slumber; hating to be disturbed, it tosses Elvenses out for its "owner" to play with his wife and drags the larger games further back to remain untouched for another decade}
Last edit: 15 Jan 2015 16:24 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Bull Nakano

More
15 Jan 2015 16:26 - 15 Jan 2015 17:00 #195301 by OldHippy
I think I have around 60 games right now... that's a nice size for me and now I have to get rid of stuff to get more. At one point I had over 100 but managed to cull it down. I guess I like a large collection and I think having over 50 games is pretty big. I realize that within the hobby it's not very sizable but in general if I tell someone I have 60+ games their eye's usually widen.

I think I would like a huge collection of over 100 again but ultimately I don't feel good about that nor do I have the space. Sometimes I have to accept that there are things I want but aren't necessarily good for me.

Edit: my vote has to go to big, because I vote based on ideals, not reality or practicality.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2015 17:00 by OldHippy.

More
15 Jan 2015 16:35 #195302 by jur
I have a lot to compensate for, and I don't drive. Cue walls plastered with books and games. I'v almost stopped buying games, but I'm just no good at getting rid of stuff.

More
15 Jan 2015 16:52 #195305 by Egg Shen
MY ANACONDA DON'T! MY ANACONDA DON'T! MY ANACONDA DON'T WANT NONE UNLESS YOU GOT BUNS HUN!

I like my gaming collection like I like my booties... Round. Big. With lots of variety as well. With big gold chain necklaces too...or something.

Winner - BIG COLLECTION

More
15 Jan 2015 16:55 #195306 by OldHippy

Egg Shen wrote: I like my gaming collection like I like my booties... Round. Big.

... and full of shit?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds