October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Force Awakens vs Fury Road

More
26 Dec 2015 22:46 #218277 by dysjunct

Mr. White wrote: 30 minutes after watching Force Awakens I was wishing I had gone to see Creed instead.

You wished you'd gone to see that 90s band? I would not have guessed TFA sucked that much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Grudunza, jpat, Hex Sinister, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2015 04:57 #218298 by jur
There s a chance I ll see TFA at some point but i have no expectations. Certainly not that it will come close to FR.

I had never been a SW fanboy and one encounter with Binks was enough to write it off. Not fully convinced yet that TFA is worth seeing.

But FR made me watch the Road Warrior on youtube

More
27 Dec 2015 13:30 #218314 by Black Barney
Fock, White's post has me worried about SW a bit. I think I'm going to go tonight. Will avoid IMAX or 3D the first time if possible. My experience says that these things enhancements to a second viewing but get in the way of a first time, making you miss stuff. I didn't do 3d until the fifth MAd Max trip and it was fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
27 Dec 2015 13:35 - 27 Dec 2015 13:37 #218315 by JMcL63

Black Barney wrote: Fock, White's post has me worried about SW a bit.

If you're a Star Wars fan I wouldn't worry about TFA a bit. Barnes is right in his review: any and all caveats aside it is a triumphant return of the spirit of the original trilogy. Hence why I rated it higher than Fury Road in this Trashdome.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 13:37 by JMcL63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Dec 2015 13:53 #218316 by Mr. White

JMcL63 wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Fock, White's post has me worried about SW a bit.

If you're a Star Wars fan I wouldn't worry about TFA a bit. Barnes is right in his review: any and all caveats aside it is a triumphant return of the spirit of the original trilogy. Hence why I rated it higher than Fury Road in this Trashdome.

Sure it's a return in style of the OT, but it never rises above anything more than that. It's a fun time at the cinema, but in no way is it a better film than Fury Road. I'd hope being a Star Wars fan would still allow someone to be a bit objective.

More
27 Dec 2015 14:02 #218318 by JMcL63
If someone wants to rate Fury Road more highly than The Force Awakens that's their lookout and all the more power to them. I don't have a problem with people giving more stars to FR as a movie than to TFA. But Star Wars has always meant more to me than Mad Max, so I'm more excited about the successful relaunch of the former franchise than the latter. It's a totally personal thing.

More
27 Dec 2015 14:17 - 27 Dec 2015 14:18 #218319 by OldHippy
I have no comment either way and look forward to seeing either of these at some point. I do think it's especially cool that George Miller himself showed up to make Mad Max great again, but it's not really important I suppose. I just prefer visionaries over... uh, what do you call someone like JJ Abrams who specializes in other peoples mythologies?

But wasn't there a lot of noise about Fury Road being pretty much just Road Warrior again with some small changes? I'm sure I've heard that criticism. I loved both series as a kid but Indiana Jones was by far my favourite when I was younger. In fact I used to go to school and brag about how many times I had seen Raiders. The number was increasing every week and I always updated everyone.

In any case I'm tempted to give more love to any series that is new for this generation. I always support new material over old series coming back. Harry Potter and LOTR don't count for me because they were both adapted. I'm tempted to say that Avatar is one of the better offerings of late simply because it was a world that I discovered for the first time in the theatre. Although it did feel like an extension of Aliens in some ways as well. I'd love for there to be something totally new but I struggle to see what it is. Indians Jones, Star Wars, Mad Max... they were all new and original, not borrowed from other mediums. What is that film today? I know it's not Chronicles of Riddick (although the first twenty minutes of the second one were awesome).
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 14:18 by OldHippy.

More
27 Dec 2015 14:23 #218321 by JMcL63

JonJacob wrote: I have no comment either way and look forward to seeing either of these at some point. I do think it's especially cool that George Miller himself showed up to make Mad Max great again, but it's not really important I suppose. I just prefer visionaries over... uh, what do you call someone like JJ Abrams who specializes in other peoples mythologies?

A professional for hire? Just what an ailing franchise needs?

More
27 Dec 2015 16:21 #218325 by Matt Thrower
Looks like it's already a winner but I'm going to vote Fury Road because it's such a clear winner, I feel compelled to make sure it does.

More
27 Dec 2015 16:27 #218328 by Black Barney
I'm seeing SW tonight but it's hard to think of how Fury Road would lose. Force Awakens is done by a disciple of SW. Fury Road is done by the deity himself.

More
27 Dec 2015 16:47 #218330 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Black Barney wrote: I'm seeing SW tonight but it's hard to think of how Fury Road would lose. Force Awakens is done by a disciple of SW. Fury Road is done by the deity himself.

You could have said the same of Prometheus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Dec 2015 18:21 #218332 by Black Barney
Or the Hobbit prequels. Good point.

More
28 Dec 2015 09:47 #218363 by the_jake_1973
Late to the party, but my vote is for Fury Road.

I like Star Wars, it is a great franchise. TFA should have been a continuation rather than a rehashing of a told story with obvious pandering to people who grew up with 4-6. There was a chance to break new ground since the books are no longer canon, but the safe route was taken.

More
28 Dec 2015 11:19 #218376 by SuperflyPete
The irony is that the biggest films of the decade came out in the same year, were reboots of decades-old IPs, and were both essentially the same stories jumbled up in order and with some new characters put in, but with cameos of old characters. Furiosa = Rey.

MAD MAX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
28 Dec 2015 12:05 #218384 by RobertB
I liked TFA, but I saw Fury Road four times in the theater in two weeks. Fury Road.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds