October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Force Awakens vs Fury Road

More
28 Dec 2015 16:21 #218406 by Black Barney
Vote: Fury Road.

It's not even close. I liked Star Wars and stuff but I have no intention to see it again. I saw Fury Road five times in theatres

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 08:43 #218573 by Legomancer
How is this even a contest? Fury Road in a shutout.

TFA is fine for a Star Wars movie I suppose, but its main purpose is a nostalgia-delivery machine for 40 year olds. Fury Road actually tells a story and tells it well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, DukeofChutney

More
30 Dec 2015 10:21 #218583 by SuperflyPete
I just ordered the Blu-Ray of Fury Road. This thread made me realize that I've neglected to introduce my daughter to Max. Bad parenting.

More
30 Dec 2015 10:32 - 30 Dec 2015 10:32 #218586 by scissors

Legomancer wrote: How is this even a contest? Fury Road in a shutout.

TFA Fury Road is fine for a Star Wars Mad Max movie I suppose, but its main purpose is a nostalgia-delivery machine for 40 year olds. Star Wars actually tells a story and tells it well.

They're both kind of kids movies for adults - I prefer SWTFA because it has a bit morehumour and Rey is an excellent character.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 10:32 by scissors.

More
30 Dec 2015 10:46 #218588 by SuperflyPete
I liked her better when she was called Luke
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
30 Dec 2015 10:58 #218592 by Sagrilarus
Now that I've seen both I'm can't imagine how to even approach this question. Both are derivative films from the original work, both are good but not spellbinding by any sense of the imagination. Neither really has any depth to it. It's like choosing between a Panera and Chipotle. You can pick a winner, but who cares?
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
30 Dec 2015 11:47 #218599 by Joebot

Sagrilarus wrote: Now that I've seen both I'm can't imagine how to even approach this question. Both are derivative films from the original work, both are good but not spellbinding by any sense of the imagination. Neither really has any depth to it. It's like choosing between a Panera and Chipotle. You can pick a winner, but who cares?

Chipotle by a mile. Ten bucks for a fucking turkey sandwich?? Fuck you, Panera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jexik, wadenels

More
30 Dec 2015 12:05 #218603 by Space Ghost

Joebot wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Now that I've seen both I'm can't imagine how to even approach this question. Both are derivative films from the original work, both are good but not spellbinding by any sense of the imagination. Neither really has any depth to it. It's like choosing between a Panera and Chipotle. You can pick a winner, but who cares?

Chipotle by a mile. Ten bucks for a fucking turkey sandwich?? Fuck you, Panera.

I'll take norovirus for $7, please.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:55 #218627 by Da Bid Dabid
Usually there is some kind of wrap up/reviews of a Trashdome and 20 votes by my count seems like a good round number to put this one to rest.

Mad Max obliterates Star Wars 16-4.

My trust in the judgement of FATies is again confirmed to be well placed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Black Barney

More
30 Dec 2015 13:05 #218629 by Sagrilarus

Joebot wrote: Chipotle by a mile. Ten bucks for a fucking turkey sandwich?? Fuck you, Panera.

Eh? See? Panera kicked Chipotle's ass four to one!

More
30 Dec 2015 13:21 #218631 by Legomancer

scissors wrote: ,

Legomancer wrote: How is this even a contest? Fury Road in a shutout.

TFA Fury Road is fine for a Star Wars Mad Max movie I suppose, but its main purpose is a nostalgia-delivery machine for 40 year olds. Star Wars actually tells a story and tells it well.

They're both kind of kids movies for adults - I prefer SWTFA because it has a bit morehumour and Rey is an excellent character.

I loved Fury Road and have never seen another Mad Max movie. I can't imagine anyone giving a shit about TFA who wasn't flashing back to SW77. Don't "fix it for me".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Dec 2015 14:23 #218641 by san il defanso
I loved The Force Awakens. Even if the plot reuses elements from other installments, there's a long history of doing that in the Star Wars series, to the point where I'm pretty sure it's intentional. And even if you don't buy that, I feel like the movie is still emotionally distinct and fulfilling. I do agree that it only works if you've seen the other Star Wars movies, especially 4-6, but by this time that's not an unreasonable assumption.

That said, it has to be Fury Road. Rewatching it again this week, I am just amazed by it. It's kind of like the other Mad Max movies, but none of them are as insane or explosive. It's also thick with symbolism and really thought-provoking themes about feminism and what home actually means. And if you think that's full of crap, it's probably still the best action movie since Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Force Awakens is great, but Fury Road is an all-timer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, DukeofChutney

More
30 Dec 2015 18:53 #218674 by scissors
Nice review of The Force Awakens at a place I don't usually go for film reviews that captures everything right about the new Star Wars and why we'll still be talking about Star Wars in several years time and not so much about Fury Road.

www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/12/29...ragedy-to-star-wars/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
30 Dec 2015 19:42 #218680 by Michael Barnes
Both are great movies, both are returns to form. Both are getting back to how big genre films USED to be. But let's face it, Fury Road will never have the lasting cultural impact that ANY Star Wars movie will. People won't be thinking about Fury Road the way that they will about that Christmas that The Force Awakens came out and the whole family went to go see it, etc.

More
30 Dec 2015 19:54 #218681 by OldHippy
Since I still haven't seen either I can't wait for this trashdome to end so I know which one to watch. I need a definitive answer on which is better so I don't waste my time watching two whole movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, san il defanso

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.115 seconds