October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Nexus Ops vs Star Wars Risk

More
18 May 2016 09:21 #227656 by Mr. White
Nexus Ops has long held the title of Lightweight DoaM champion, but...

So...

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2016 09:25 #227657 by charlest
I would take Nexus Ops. I like both games quite a bit, but I have some problems with SW: Risk that knock it down a peg or two. Notably, I feel like there's no reason at all to spend effort on the Jedi battle. It's a losing proposition. Additionally, the Imperials should probably ignore Endor too. This causes thematic dissonance and is disappointing to have three arenas of battle where the Imps are better off just ignoring two of them.

Nexus Ops is just smooth and everything works well. The only times I've seen it stumble are when you draw almost no resources and instead get the bonus units for territories nearby. You can overcome this since you should have a big army early but it jerks with the flow.

I love the Nexus Ops combat system and attacking from top down. That choice on who to kill is great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Columbob, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
18 May 2016 10:45 #227668 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Nexus Ops vs Star Wars Risk
Nexus OPS.

On a somewhat related subject, I do think SW: REBELLION now fires QUEENS GAMBIT for AT Star Wars games.

More
18 May 2016 10:49 #227670 by hotseatgames
I've never played Star Wars Risk. But considering the 3 words in the title are Star Wars Risk, I'll say

NEXUS OPS

More
18 May 2016 11:06 #227671 by Legomancer
Nexus Ops, no contest.

More
18 May 2016 11:19 #227677 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Nexus Ops vs Star Wars Risk
I don't know, but I do know that the picture for SWR really bugs me with the incorrect placement of the side pieces and ships on the board.

More
18 May 2016 11:20 #227678 by Ska_baron
Well damn. I guess this is as good a time as any for it to come out.

I never got that into Nexus Ops. I can't even tell you what it lacked exactly, but I didnt get the same drama from it that I see time and time again with Magical Athelete, Battleball and certainly Star Wars Risk, which I've only played twice.

I'm not going to get strategies optimized and my family who loves it so far have been SW fans and the game just hits a home run for them. Not simple, but not overwrought. Thematic, but appropriately so (other than the Millennium Falcon needing something else to set it apart - maybe it can move two but the Executor can only move one?).

So there you have it. First vote for SWR.

More
18 May 2016 12:10 - 18 May 2016 12:53 #227682 by bfkiller
Nexus Ops, easily. I think it's perfect for what it tries to be.

Star Wars Risk feels like it was rushed to get on shelves for Force Friday. It could have used more time in the oven. It has some questionable balance (both in terms of Empire vs Rebels, and in terms of the importance of the different battle-boards) and a poorly written rulebook that leaves out too much info.
Last edit: 18 May 2016 12:53 by bfkiller.

More
18 May 2016 13:41 #227692 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Nexus Ops vs Star Wars Risk

Ska_baron wrote: Well damn. I guess this is as good a time as any for it to come out.

I never got that into Nexus Ops. I can't even tell you what it lacked exactly, but I didnt get the same drama from it that I see time and time again with Magical Athelete, Battleball and certainly Star Wars Risk, which I've only played twice.

I'm not going to get strategies optimized and my family who loves it so far have been SW fans and the game just hits a home run for them. Not simple, but not overwrought. Thematic, but appropriately so (other than the Millennium Falcon needing something else to set it apart - maybe it can move two but the Executor can only move one?).

So there you have it. First vote for SWR.

Totally fascinated by this response. This is a real theme trumps gameplay/design answer here. Me, the vote is NEXUS OPS, no question. But I am intrigued by this. And I have to believe you played the day-Glo one too, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
18 May 2016 14:07 #227697 by Ska_baron
jeb-

I think this is just my personal outlier. I know I *should* love it instead of just appreciating it. I owned, played and sold the AH version.

It just never got my pulse racing or jumping up out of my seat after a die roll. Fully willing to admit maybe I didnt play it with the right crowd or right time the hand full of times I did play it - and would be willing to play with an enthusiastic group in hopes of 'getting' it because I certainly didnt HATE the experience, it just never stood out for me.

SWR on the other hand, though perhaps a more flawed game, is what I own and see playing for a while. It's already give me more enjoyment than Nexus Ops, though perhaps technically an inferior game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 May 2016 14:20 #227698 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Nexus Ops vs Star Wars Risk
My vote is for Nexus Ops, but, there needs to be a Star Wars themed Nexus Ops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camshaft

More
18 May 2016 14:54 #227704 by san il defanso
It's Nexus Ops for me too, but that's more an indication of just how terrific that game is, rather than any slight on Star Wars Risk.

More
18 May 2016 16:43 #227723 by southernman
Nexus Ops in a first round KO.

SW:Risk may be thematic but it gets samey pretty quick, it has crappy components compared to NO (like something out of cheap Christmas crackers) and just isn't as interesting to play.
I agree about the Jedi fight, as the Empire I usually ignore it unless I get a lucky roll early and just try and get big clumps of Ties dropped off by the Executor and blast Rebel ships as fast as I can.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds