October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: CtB vs LotR:FotR

More
01 Dec 2016 22:59 - 01 Dec 2016 23:00 #239620 by OldHippy

Shellhead wrote:

JEM wrote: I think where you go really, really wrong is in thinking up aunt sallies to explain why people have different opinions than you.

Every time I watch the LotR trilogy, I watch the extended editions, and it's a test of will almost to get past Fellowship.

One viewing of the extended editions was more than enough for me. The extra material isn't sufficient to compensate the viewer for the lost time. Your masochistic viewing choices don't make any sense. Why do you keep watching the extended versions if you aren't enjoying them?

I wish there was an extended edition without the five day long ending.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2016 23:00 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2016 23:44 #239621 by Jackwraith

JonJacob wrote: So for me Conan is more rare. I really don't think we'll see it's like again and there is something extremely endearing about how it works despite these missteps everyone keeps talking about.

This actually isn't true, since we saw it's like in the same time period with things like Beastmaster, Krull, and Conan the Destroyer. It's the same kind of schlocky fantasy that is just trying to tell pulp stories like Howard was writing. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing that particularly compels me, either. I LIKE the fact that the acting is good in LotR. I LIKE the fact that the sets and CGI are elaborate and the humor generally works within the boundaries of the screenplay (other than Gimli as comedic idiot), rather than punching camels. There are multiple reasons that good films are seen as good films. Even other pulp stories like Raiders of the Lost Ark have more going for them in technical ability than Conan does. All of that said, I still like Conan because I read all of Howard's stories.

JonJacob wrote: I also remind myself that LOTR offers almost nothing new. It's just a reasonably slavish version of the books edited down to the best parts.

So is Conan. The film is a mashup of the first collection made by Carter and de Camp. There's nothing really new there. It's not "much different" from the stories at all. And the point of making the LotR movies in the first place was to finally deliver on bringing the books to film. They follow the story note-by-note because that's what people wanted to see in the same way that people wanted to see A Song of Ice and Fire done note-by-note, as well.

I mean, we're talking about artistic preference here, so it's not like I can say "You're wrong." You like what you like. But arguing that Jackson's movies are dogged by the fact that they remained largely true to the source material is misplaced, since that differs them from the Conan movie in the mildest of ways, especially since they DIDN'T remain entirely true to the material.

More
01 Dec 2016 23:56 - 02 Dec 2016 00:30 #239622 by OldHippy
For me making it a revenge fantasy rather than staying with Conans true peripatetic nature is a monstrous change that casts a huge shadow and ultimately changes the nature of every other scene. It perpetuates the entire film and takes its full length to resolve... if they made a good sequel (or if any of the similar movies you named were anywhere near as good) I'd be inclined to agree. As it stands I simply can't.

edit: it's not just the intro either. There are a handful of iconic scenes in there that don't even feel slightly like Howard. And I don't even think the acting is bad. I'm certainly not going to complain about Mr. Jones, the several great character actors making appearances here and there or even Arnie and his clumsy charms. They work, it's not like they're bad and Frodo is so amazing. The acting differential isn't really that extreme.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 00:30 by OldHippy.

More
02 Dec 2016 07:35 #239631 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic CinemaDome: CtB vs LotR:FotR

Shellhead wrote:

JEM wrote: I think where you go really, really wrong is in thinking up aunt sallies to explain why people have different opinions than you.

Every time I watch the LotR trilogy, I watch the extended editions, and it's a test of will almost to get past Fellowship.

One viewing of the extended editions was more than enough for me. The extra material isn't sufficient to compensate the viewer for the lost time. Your masochistic viewing choices don't make any sense. Why do you keep watching the extended versions if you aren't enjoying them?

It's a fair question. Because I want the fullest possible experience of the movies when I watch them, and 2/3 of the extended editions are fantastic for me (even with the cringe-worthy Legolas stuff). It's not in my nature to skip the tedious chapters in a book to get to the more interesting ones, nor will I skip a movie in a trilogy or whatever.

More
02 Dec 2016 08:00 - 02 Dec 2016 08:04 #239633 by Black Barney
My gf has never seen Aliens and I don’t know which version to show her. The directors cut has that awful scene with newts family which wrecks the discovery of Newt and the mystery of Hadleys Hope. ....but robot sentries.

Hey, congrats to Jeff on this pairing btw. Seems to be a really good one
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 08:04 by Black Barney.

More
02 Dec 2016 08:24 - 02 Dec 2016 08:25 #239634 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic CinemaDome: CtB vs LotR:FotR

mutagen wrote: I'm not sure what cataclysm happened to Tolkien between that and LOTR, WWII one supposes, but LOTR is long, grim, and overflows with the crushing burden of duty.

I'm pretty confident that when he and C.S. Lewis were smoking copious amounts in their huge pipes, drinking and reading their drafts to each other way back when in Oxford he was all like "blimey that shit is tight. And blatantly christian. And appealing to kids. I really need to up my norse game here." and the rest is history.

Edit: forgot to vote for Conan for being such a Klotz.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 08:25 by Nodens.

More
02 Dec 2016 09:13 - 02 Dec 2016 09:36 #239640 by Mr. White
Winner!

14 - 13

This one was really close and I hope I got the count right. Great discussion all around!

On a personal note, I've always felt a connection to Samwise Gamgee, so far as fantasy characters go. I can see how people would want to be a Conan or Gandalf, but I'm more of a down home, right hand man type of person at heart.

This weekend begins the annual LotR viewing at our house (regular editions) and will be the first time my son joins us. Also, again, I feel Unexpected Journey to be right up there with the LotR trilogy. I adore everything about it. Too bad the second one is almost Clone Wars bad to me (video game antics vs Smaug) and many parts of Battle of Five Armies are totally off.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 09:36 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
02 Dec 2016 11:46 #239665 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: My gf has never seen Aliens and I don’t know which version to show her. The directors cut has that awful scene with newts family which wrecks the discovery of Newt and the mystery of Hadleys Hope. ....but robot sentries.

Hey, congrats to Jeff on this pairing btw. Seems to be a really good one

The robot sentries are cool, but not good enough to make up for all the intro Hadley's Hope crap. Stick with the theatrical cut. You can always just watch the sentries scene later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Mr. White, Black Barney, OldHippy

More
02 Dec 2016 12:13 #239668 by Shellhead

Mr. White wrote: Also, again, I feel Unexpected Journey to be right up there with the LotR trilogy. I adore everything about it. Too bad the second one is almost Clone Wars bad to me (video game antics vs Smaug) and many parts of Battle of Five Armies are totally off.

It would be interesting to see a CinemaDome matchup between The Hobbit trilogy and the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

More
02 Dec 2016 12:28 #239669 by boothwah

Shellhead wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Also, again, I feel Unexpected Journey to be right up there with the LotR trilogy. I adore everything about it. Too bad the second one is almost Clone Wars bad to me (video game antics vs Smaug) and many parts of Battle of Five Armies are totally off.

It would be interesting to see a CinemaDome matchup between The Hobbit trilogy and the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

That's a whole lotta fanboy butt hurt you are talking about unleashing there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
02 Dec 2016 13:19 #239672 by Mr. White
maybe a week of disappointments.

Unexpected Journey v Phantom Menace
Prometheus v Tron: Legacy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Dec 2016 13:30 #239673 by SebastianBludd

Black Barney wrote: My gf has never seen Aliens and I don’t know which version to show her. The directors cut has that awful scene with newts family which wrecks the discovery of Newt and the mystery of Hadleys Hope. ....but robot sentries.

Just hit the Next Scene button on the remote as soon as the Hadley's Hope sign appears and you should be good. That's what I did for my son's first viewing and that way he got to see all the other, better extra scenes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
02 Dec 2016 13:36 #239674 by Msample

Shellhead wrote:

One was shot using outdoor sets in a lot of places.

The other was shot practically 95% green screen.

No contest.

More
02 Dec 2016 13:37 #239675 by SebastianBludd

Mr. White wrote: maybe a week of disappointments.

Unexpected Journey v Phantom Menace
Prometheus v Tron: Legacy

Good idea! I would suggest Alien 3 vs. Terminator 3, but I've read several comments from people going to bat for Alien 3, so how about:

Alien: Resurrection vs. Terminator 3

Each movie has moments that I enjoy but each is also fatally flawed.

More
02 Dec 2016 14:09 #239677 by Columbob

I'd go with the theatrical cut - you can always rewatch it later since it's that good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds