October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Braveheart vs Gladiator

More
14 Dec 2016 08:53 - 14 Dec 2016 08:59 #240522 by Mr. White
Another apples to apples one and a pair of big hits, so maybe voter turnout will spike.

This brace of somewhat historical pictures both grabbed Best Picture Academy awards. One made Gibson a director to look out for, the other made Crowe a star. Perhaps the one-two combo of these led to epic historical features having a bit of a renaissance in the 00s? Either way, they're both great movies, facts be damned.

vs

Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 08:59 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2016 08:59 #240524 by Black Barney
Gladiator is great and stuff but Braveheart is a true epic.

I hate when Gladiator gets replayed on TV, they often edit out all the violence and blood. What's the point?! Also that hair lip guy really gets old upon rewatches.

Braveheart was incredible the first time I saw it in theatres. Longshanks was such a great villian and its fun to see British imperialism in all its horrific glory.

Vote: Braveheart

Also, it's MY island

More
14 Dec 2016 10:23 #240533 by Gregarius
ugh. I'm not a fan of either.

I'll go Gladiator because I like the period better.

More
14 Dec 2016 10:24 #240534 by Columbob
Despite (or maybe because of) the historical inaccuracies, Braveheart it is. I love the many big army battles, truly epic stuff as Barney pointed out.

Gladiator really paved the way for the resurgence of Swords and Sandals movies in the 2000s, such as Troy, Alexander, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Dec 2016 10:34 #240535 by Space Ghost
Gladiator

More
14 Dec 2016 10:44 - 14 Dec 2016 10:45 #240536 by ChristopherMD
Braveheart versus Spartacus might have been tough but not this matchup. Gladiator is overrated garbage with a little good period action. Braveheart has better battles and more...wait for it...heart.

Vote: Braveheart
Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 10:45 by ChristopherMD.

More
14 Dec 2016 10:45 #240537 by OldHippy
I'm not a big fan of either film even though I do like many of the people involved normally. I like Mel Gibson's last couple of films, I think he's improved as a director and I'd be curious to see how he'd do a film like Braveheart today. Braveheart is pretty ham fisted at times. It's over the top, ridiculous dramatic and hard to take seriously at times. I tried to sit through it a year or so ago and found myself bored on several occasions. It's not a bad film, it just feels cliche.

Personally Gladiator doesn't seem much better but it does hint at being deeper. Little moments here and there make you think the film is about more than just emotional manipulation, theatrics and drama... there are times it almost feels intellectual or cerebral. It's not... but it gets close and hints at it here and there. I don't know... I'm not totally committed to it but I feel like Gladiator is just a more competently made and less cliche film. So that's where my vote is going...

Vote: Gladiator

More
14 Dec 2016 10:51 #240539 by RobertB
Gladiator. It isn't really history, but IIRC Braveheart isn't either.

More
14 Dec 2016 10:57 #240541 by RobertB
Mad Dog wrote:

Braveheart versus Spartacus might have been tough but not this matchup.

Spartacus puts both of these to shame.

More
14 Dec 2016 10:57 #240542 by Msample
This is a tough one. Yeah the history is shite in both. But both are great historical epics. The opening scene in Gladiator, along with his first bout in the Colosseum, beat anything in Braveheart from an action perspective. But MacGoohan blows away the whiny Joaquin Phoenix as far as villains go . And I like the down to earth gritty look of Braveheart. 30 years earlier, the same film would look like the old Robin Hood flicks, but here even the "rich" are not living large , like the wooden stockade forts we see.

Both are overly long, and the romantic angle in Braveheart is ....fucking stupid. But I have to give the nod to the collective cast of Braveheart. Gladiator has Crowe , a stint from Oliver Reed, and not much else.

"The problem with Scotland is that its full of Scots !"

Close, but BRAVEHEART.

If you like English period dramas/action, check out Rob Roy.

I do wonder if a more direct comparison would be GLADIATOR vs KINGDOM of HEAVEN. Crowe blows away Orlando Pretty Boy Bloom, but again the overall cast and arc are more interesting in KoH . Look for a bit part from Jamie Lannister early on.

More
14 Dec 2016 11:10 #240544 by Michael Barnes
Vote: Luc Besson's Jeanne D'Arc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
14 Dec 2016 11:11 #240545 by RobertB
Msample wrote:

If you like English period dramas/action, check out Rob Roy.

I do wonder if a more direct comparison would be GLADIATOR vs KINGDOM of HEAVEN. Crowe blows away Orlando Pretty Boy Bloom, but again the overall cast and arc are more interesting in KoH . Look for a bit part from Jamie Lannister early on.

Rob Roy is good. Fight at the end owns.

I liked Kingdom of Heaven. You're right about the casting - Orlando Bloom is bad in the role, but everyone else is good.

More
14 Dec 2016 11:23 #240552 by SuperflyPete
Not even a good fight.

MAXIMUS MAXIMUS MAXIMUS

More
14 Dec 2016 11:26 #240554 by Grudunza
I need to watch Gladiator again. The one time I saw it, it was dreary and mumbly and didn't really grab me, whereas Braveheart has some powerful and memorable parts.

Braveheart

More
14 Dec 2016 11:37 - 14 Dec 2016 11:37 #240556 by the_jake_1973
I do enjoy both films, but Braveheart captures that romanticized 'fighting for a greater cause' feeling much better. The quibbles I had about the armor in Gladiator knocks it down a peg as well.

MSample, Tim Roth is such a wonderful and despicable villain in Rob Roy. Great film.

Verdict: Braveheart
Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 11:37 by the_jake_1973.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds