October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Miniature vs CCG Gaming

More
21 Apr 2017 11:10 #246881 by Mr. White
Both require buckets of cash, customization, meta gaming, and all around lifestyle changes.

What'll it be?

vs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2017 11:49 #246882 by hotseatgames
MINIATURE games, thank you very much. I find it much more fulfilling from a hobby aspect.

More
21 Apr 2017 12:04 #246883 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
CCGs here. Ain't nobody got time to paint that shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jexik

More
21 Apr 2017 12:05 - 21 Apr 2017 13:17 #246884 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
Cards re easier in many respects. It's much easier to build a deck than to paint an army. Cards are more portable and easier to store. But cards probably end up being more expensive.

Vote: CCG
Last edit: 21 Apr 2017 13:17 by Shellhead. Reason: official boldface vote

More
21 Apr 2017 12:22 #246885 by the_jake_1973
Miniature gaming. No contest.

Miniatures provide a better tableau for beating your opponent into submission.

Painting provides a nice side diversion, but is not necessary if you want to game with standees.

Contrary to Shell, I think it is easier to build an army than it is to work out the probabilities of a potential card draw in a deck I am building.

More
21 Apr 2017 12:42 #246887 by san il defanso
I'd rather paint minis than build a deck.

Minis

More
21 Apr 2017 13:25 #246891 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
Hm. I don't do either, anymore, except for one digital card game, but I was a tournament player in both for many years. I think minis games provide more depth of enjoyment, just because of the time involved to construct an army and paint it. I always created a background and names for my various armies, as well, and really enjoyed playing in campaigns (I did a couple with a friend in 40K where it was my Chaos vs. his Marines and then my Imperials vs his Orks in BFG, 40K, and Epic.) I always liked that any decent game of 40K or WHFB could provide a real story in terms of both gameplay and a fictional retelling.

OTOH, there's nothing quite as satisfying as getting a deck to consistently work and winning a tournament, knowing that you're in complete control, knowing each draw as it comes into your hand, and basically watching the deck work like the machine it's supposed to be. You can, of course, also get a ton more games with a CCG than you can a minis game. I don't tell a lot of stories about minis games that I played, but some of those MTG wins still stick in my mind and have been told enough that my friends are seriously tired of them.

In the end, I look at some esoteric factors: I sold all my cards and haven't touched MTG in 15 years. I still have my Skaven, my Sisters of Battle, 3 Epic armies, and two Necromunda gangs. I also still play a close approximation (Battlelore 2nd Ed.) on a regular basis. So, I'd have to say I favor minis and, without question, spent far more money on the hobby than I ever did on Magic (which I also spent a fair amount of coin on.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
21 Apr 2017 15:29 #246897 by Black Barney
I've gamed plenty with both and it's CCGs all the way. People that typically play with minatures are the very bottom of the pit of society. I get humiliated just hearing them talk, it's brutal.

Magic players are awful too.

But in general CCG players are pretty chill and I've made good friends with some of them.

More
21 Apr 2017 15:37 #246898 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
I prefer miniatures to CCGs. I like list building/scenario building much better than deck design, which takes way more effort to work through than I want to spend on it.

I'm surprised to hear Barney say miniatures gamers are the bottom pit. Based on my experiences, I would have said the CCG players were much more focused on their subniche and had less social skills. I'm not saying minis gamers do not also have individuals with issues, but that on the balance I find them a much more chill group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Apr 2017 15:39 - 21 Apr 2017 15:40 #246899 by Black Barney
barrowdown, i'm not saying CCG players are perfect. Magic players, particularly, are almost as bad as mini players, totally rejecting all other society circles. but lots of other CCGs seem to breed decent stock and I've had lots of fun mixing with them.

Whereas EVERY TIME i've been in a hobby shop that had minis going on in the other room or table, my ears would bleed with the stuff I was hearing.

Let me take back me saying that mini players are the bottom rung, that's not true at all. LARP players are the very worst and there is nothing to be done with them.

btw, i absolutely hate building decks. It's one thing about CCGs that I hate. But i LOVE piloting decks, it's really fun for me.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2017 15:40 by Black Barney.

More
21 Apr 2017 15:50 #246900 by hotseatgames
I have been known to like digital CCGs, but I usually fall off pretty quickly. Usually at the point where someone who has spent actual money thumps me.

More
21 Apr 2017 15:55 #246901 by barrowdown
What kind of stuff is making your ears bleed?

I'm asking out of curiosity, not an attempt to disprove anything. From other comments here about gaming experiences in other FLGSs, I think my store might be at the more welcoming end of the spectrum. It's not perfect, but the manager really focuses on maintaining a pleasant environment for all customers.

More
21 Apr 2017 16:32 #246905 by Black Barney
Yeah no worries about asking

Just the absolute worst of geek culture you can imagine. The high squeaky voice, The really awful basic joke that makes them all do saliva filled snickers... the rules lawyering... honestly it's just everything

More
21 Apr 2017 16:39 #246906 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
Most CCGs and mini games are intended for two players, so they don't actively reward or require social skills. However, two of my favorite CCGs (Jyhad and Shadowfist) were designed for multi-player gameplay, and there is some advantage for a player with social skills. Jyhad has voting, while Shadowfist imitates the offensive and defensive alliances of Cosmic Encounter.

More
21 Apr 2017 16:56 #246907 by barrowdown
Huh, that does sound like the stereotypical "gamer" image.

I would say that there are certainly individuals like that playing at the FLGS, but they make up the minority. As I've mentioned before, there is not a lot of rules lawyering even during competitive games with prize support.

When I lived in Salem, the minis gamers certainly more fit your description. However, the CCG players in Salem set such a low bar that as long as there were no fistfights during a battle the minis gamers were still the better sports of the two.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds