October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - History of the World VS Britannia

More
17 Aug 2009 21:35 #38223 by Michael Barnes
Wow, this is like the old timers' charity bout!

Both are good games, but both are VERY old timey in not very good ways. I'm voting HotW because I like the more epic, all-encompassing scope of it, but BRITANNIA is probably the better game all things considered. And the spin-off games are mostly pretty good since it's a decent system for a multiplayer war game of that class.

I dunno, HotW just has more life in it that BRITANNIA. There's something very stodgy and deadpan about BRITANNIA. And yeah, the designer is pretty much an internet jerk.

I used to love that Windows HotW...I got it for like a dollar at an Electronics Boutique many years ago. It was a fun, quick way to play the game

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2009 23:23 #38247 by Ryan B.
Vote: Britannia

More
17 Aug 2009 23:26 #38248 by lj1983
I was actually introduced to both of these at the same time, at one of the last Avaloncons. we played alot of HotW, mostly because of the smaller playtime..but britannia has always been one that I enjoy playing more

More
18 Aug 2009 11:56 #38291 by VonTush
I haven't played either, but both have been on my radar to some extent. I do have a question though...I've heard a few comments here and there that History of the World plays similar to Vinci/Small World but on a larger scale/timeframe...How accurate is that?

LvT

More
18 Aug 2009 11:57 #38292 by Notahandle
Played both, enjoyed both, no preference.
Guess I'd better roll a die before Friday...

More
18 Aug 2009 12:01 #38293 by Notahandle
LordVonTush wrote:
" I've heard a few comments here and there that History of the World plays similar to Vinci/Small World but on a larger scale/timeframe...How accurate is that?"
Sounds about as accurate as could be said for any given theme, i.e. AT is on a larger scale/timeframe compared to a Euro.
(Or are you trying to turn people off voting for HotW by implying it's a secret Euro?)

More
18 Aug 2009 12:07 #38296 by VonTush
Notahandle wrote:

(Or are you trying to turn people off voting for HotW by implying it's a secret Euro?)

Nope! The reason why I ask is I do enjoy SW and if HotW is a more chromed out/epic version, then I may look a little more closely at HotW because chances are I'd enjoy it.

LvT

More
18 Aug 2009 15:44 - 18 Aug 2009 15:45 #38340 by ubarose
LordVonTush wrote:

I haven't played either, but both have been on my radar to some extent. I do have a question though...I've heard a few comments here and there that History of the World plays similar to Vinci/Small World but on a larger scale/timeframe...How accurate is that?

LvT

Well, the first time I played Vinci, I described it to the Man as being History of the World with all the fun sucked out of it.

vote: History of the World
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 15:45 by ubarose.

More
18 Aug 2009 18:40 - 18 Aug 2009 18:43 #38382 by Notahandle
LordVonTush wrote:
" I may look a little more closely at HotW because chances are I'd enjoy it."
Well it's definitely a good game, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
If you also like Through the Ages then I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy HotW.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 18:43 by Notahandle.

More
18 Aug 2009 20:14 #38392 by Tamburlaine
Both are fine games, but my vote will have to be Britannia. History of the World suffers somewhat in my book from operating in the no-man's-land between history and abstraction. In Britannia, the theme of civilizations rising and passing away is tied to a very particular place and time, and that really moors the narrative of the game for me. Britannia also gets points in my book for its asymmetry. Not many games give you the experience playing yellow in Britannia does, where you are almost unstoppable as the Romans at the beginning and must spend the rest of the game stopping the bleeding. The factions are arranged so that each player will have their moment in the sun, but this doesn't really result in the sort of rewarded mediocrity that so many Euros have familiarized. By balancing the asymmetries through time, and not victory conditions or other game mechanics, Britannia neatly ties an interesting thematic concept to an interesting gaming concept with considerable, dare I say it, elegance.

I enjoy both games quite a bit, not least because the theme (rise and fall of civilizations) is not often well represented in civilization building games, where history often only seems to go up.

VOTE: BRITANNIA

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds