October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Talisman VS Runebound

More
30 Sep 2009 20:09 - 30 Sep 2009 22:32 #43460 by Mr MOTO
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Near infinite map variety - check

What?!?!!? THERE IS ONE FUCKING MAP! Infinite variety my ass.
Runebound gives you map overlays in the expansions. And they are maps and not monoploly tracks. Runebound wins.

In case you haven't played Talisman before... The physical board, without expansions, is the same but the whole point of the map is that it changes as characters move about it. Your comparisons to Monopoly don't hold any water as nothing happens to any of the spaces on Monopoly other than building houses and hotels. In fact, I think I've found the problem with your agnst against the game, you picked up Monopoly's rules and are trying to play them with the wrong game. Reach into your Monopoly box and you'll find the Talisman ruleset and you'll see that that all those spaces that say Draw X card(s) on them don't mean that you can buy the property or build shit on them, you are supposed to draw cards and encounter what people, places, and things are found them. Many of them are permanent or semi-permanent places or things located there... this in effect transforms the map... work with me here skellinator... thus creating a unique experience and build a unique map each and every time you play.

If you purchase one of the many expansions, you can place new map boards down. These expansions have been around for decades as well.

Talisman has spawned a large enough following that tens of expansions (many with different physical maps for people who don't get the whole fact that the map is dynamically built even though the main physical board is static) have been created by fans.

www.talismanisland.com/expansions.htm

Thats just a sampling of the fan created material out there.

I searched for Runebound Island but Google didn't find it. Perhaps it is an underground site that is on a different interweb.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2009 22:32 by Mr MOTO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2009 21:52 #43468 by ubarose
Both Talisman and Runebound = roll, move, pick a card, shit happens. The primary factor in deciding which to play is whether you are going to be passing the bowl or passing the bottle opener.

You don't have to remember anything when playing Talisman, because it's all written on the board and cards. Plus, it has lots of pretty colors. Runebound has enough downtime to allow you to go pee.

More
30 Sep 2009 22:42 #43469 by shryke
ubarose wrote:

Both Talisman and Runebound = roll, move, pick a card, shit happens.

Aye. Which is exactly what I was talking about with the map.

Runebound drags itself down with an overly fiddly and nonsensical movement system.

Talisman just says "Fuck it, roll a dice, same thing".

Same effect, but only one of them doesn't involve squinting and AP.

More
30 Sep 2009 23:03 #43471 by mutagen
I just don't understand folks who like Talisman, but not Runebound, or the opposite. They're the same fucking game. One you move in a circle, one you move on a grid. You could rename Runebound: Talisman -- now in two dimensions. I mean really, you roll, you move, you draw an encounter, you level-up or not, wash, rinse and repeat. Same fucking game. In Runebound fighting can go on for a bit, and more choices lead to more downtime, so I wouldn't play with more than three. But for two or three, Runebound is a more immersive experience. Since most of my gaming is two player these days,

Runebound

More
01 Oct 2009 21:55 #43615 by MrZir
I agree with the previous statements that these two games are each better in different circumstances.

Runebound is definitely a deeper game. My six year old can play Talisman, she gets a handicap but can go through all the motions as long as someone can read everything to her. I'm not going to even try to play Runebound with her anytime soon. There is just too much going on for her to keep track of, even Talisman is stretching it.

Anyone who thinks Talisman is a complete luckfest and doesn't have any strategy should play with a young elementary aged kid. Then you discover the strategy that is so basic that we as well experienced players don't even think about. (Like how much you need to level up before crossing the river)

To all those people who don't like Runebounds movement dice, . The movement dice are awesome! They are probably the most realistic representation of movement. (Granted, I haven't played MEQ yet) Didn't roll mountains for three turns in a row? That's because it's been raining and no idiot is going to risk the slippery rock ledge and mudslides.

Runebound is more immersive, and I think about how it would be great to add more story to it to the point where it would be better as a computer adventure game. Whereas Talisman is more social, in part to there being much less rule overhead. And the social aspect is the main reason I boardgame. They are both great games though.

Talisman

I missed three domes and almost a fourth. I am going to have to talk to my boss about giving me less work so that I can have more time to surf the internet.
Attachments:

More
01 Oct 2009 22:07 #43616 by Mr Skeletor
MrZir wrote:

The movement dice are awesome! They are probably the most realistic representation of movement.

Fucking oath. I was two hours late to work this morning because I couldn't travel on "Roads".

More
02 Oct 2009 09:40 #43641 by ChristopherMD
Talisman put up a good fight, but ultimately the Runebound fans rallied together and took it down. Its so much nicer when the better game actually wins these things.

Runebound = 26
Rliyen
Juniper
kermit
dave
JonJacob
fozzie
KingPut
Schweig!
misspiggy
Ancient_of_MuMu
The Expanding Man
gonzo
Mr Skeletor
thejinx13
swedishchef
Space Ghost
clockwirk
Stonecutter
bunsen
Protoss
Hex Sinister
beaker
Gaebril
Bullwinkle
animal
mutagen

Talisman = 20
Michael Barnes
NeonPeon
Bulwyf
Aarontu
MattLoter
Almalik
Nick Warcholak
Shellhead
mrmarcus
HiveGod
Merkles
ubarose
Hatchling
ozjesting
Jason Lutes
Zimeon
Columbob
shryke
Mr MOTO
MrZir

More
02 Oct 2009 09:45 #43643 by lj1983
that was...interesting to say the least. now i've gotta go try one

More
02 Oct 2009 09:47 #43644 by NeonPeon
Damn...If only Talisman had more than one map, it might have won.

More
02 Oct 2009 10:04 #43646 by Shellhead
Once again, the Cult of the New defeats the Nostalgic Geezers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds