October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Talisman VS Runebound

More
29 Sep 2009 23:33 #43286 by Shellhead
Michael Barnes wrote:

Wow, this place really is turning into BGG...now we're bringing up the dreaded "game=CANDYLAND" thing.

Dave, if the red ass in your avatar is my mind, then the yellow cock is RUNEBOUND's movement system. It fucks with it. Not because it's necessarily hard to manage, but because it's just so stupid and I can't believe someone didn't say "hey, wait, this blows" before it was published. I remember the first time we played, I seriously thought about chucking the movent dice and doing something else. Four turns into the game.

MIDDLE-EARTH QUEST actually takes the RUNEBOUND movement and does something with it meaningful. You still get the restriction, but you can always move anywhere as long as you're willing to pay the price, which thematically represents extra exertion to get through areas that are difficult to travel or that perhaps the heroes didn't really prepare for.

Aside from that, the combat in RUNEBOUND really blows. The concept is OK, but watching somebody go through it is just dreadful, let alone when you're actually doing it.

Nobody here is saying TALISMAN is this amazingly rich, in-depth game. It isn't. It's STUPID beyond belief, it's asinine and has almost no redeeming qualities in terms of "sophisticated" gaming whatsoever. Remember what Vasel said? "It's not for discerning gamers". I'm not a discerning gamer, at least not in that sense. TALISMAN is pure fun that doesn't try to be more than what it is. It knows it's ridiculous.

RUNEBOUND doesn't. It thinks it's a real game. It isn't. You fundamentally do the same conceptual thing in RUNEBOUND, but there's a pile of game garbage on top of it burying all the fun in a woeful grave of- yes- fun murder. The game itself is a fun murderer.

This whole post really cuts through all the crap, straight to the truth. Both games are stupid, but Talisman is at least fun. Runebound combat is too much work to be fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2009 23:56 #43290 by Mr Skeletor
Shellhead wrote:

Runebound combat is too much work to be fun.

If 'work' was as good as Runebound I'd never go home.

More
30 Sep 2009 00:09 #43293 by Shellhead
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I worked for Fantasy Flight Games for a few months, and everybody went home every evening, even Darrell Hardy.

More
30 Sep 2009 01:22 - 30 Sep 2009 02:27 #43299 by Space Ghost
Well, fuck it.

Vote: Runebound.

The expansions are quite good and the solo factor is great. It seems odd to me that the main argument is that Runebound is just a more complicated version of Talisman (movement is better, but more complicated; combat is the same, just more of it).

I am starting to think that F:AT doesn't stand for Fortress: Ameritrash but instead stands for Family: Ameritrash.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2009 02:27 by Space Ghost.

More
30 Sep 2009 01:51 #43301 by clockwirk
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Choo choo choo, the horseshit central cart is in the station.

Martin Wallace DISOW0NED Runebound. That should fucking win it right there. But you fags are scared that a vote for Runebound is a vote for Fred Price fixing.

Shopping? The city expansion for talisman HAD NOTHING BUT SHOPPING! I hear the forth edition had a space where you can buy Uba's boots.

But all jokes aside, you assclowns that find the runebound movement system too hard should turn your dice in at the door. You should be banned from voting. You shouldn't be allowed to operate microwave ovens either, you may burn yourself.

How hard is it to walk into a forrest? Ask talisman:

boring generic talisman character: "Ahh, ye old forrest appears to be 3 leagues away! I should travel there to pick up thine donkey that be available as a follower."
Rolls movement dice, gets a four
boring generic talisman character: "Ahh shite, I walked right passed it. I'll have to get back."
Next turn rolls movement dice, gets a five
boring generic talisman character: "Fuck, went passed it again."

vote: Runebound

More
30 Sep 2009 02:16 #43305 by Mr Skeletor
Shellhead wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I worked for Fantasy Flight Games for a few months, and everybody went home every evening, even Darrell Hardy.

So? No ones job at FFG is to play Runebound all day. I recon I know more about that game then the rest of them combined.

More
30 Sep 2009 02:20 #43306 by Mr Skeletor
Space Ghost wrote:

I am starting to think that F:AT doesn't stand for Fortress: Ameritrash but instead stands for Family: Ameristrash.

BRILLIANTLY SAID!
Time to start the FAT revolution.

More
30 Sep 2009 02:29 - 30 Sep 2009 02:29 #43309 by Stonecutter
Mr Skeletor wrote:

On your journey you encounter some a scroll which adds some meat to the game. Roll 1 die to see what happens:

1: You turn into a toad for no fucking reason. Shut up it's thematic.
2-3: More than 3 rules confuse your brain. Miss 1 turn.
4-5 You sell the new rules to a real gamer who is busy playing runebound. Gain 1 gold.
6: Your confusion over the depth of the game makes the gods of talisman take pity on you. Gain a magic cap that adds +1 to your mind score. You still can't handle a real game however.

This! All of it!

RUNEBOUND!!!!!!!

You're all high
Last edit: 30 Sep 2009 02:29 by Stonecutter.

More
30 Sep 2009 02:39 #43312 by Mr Skeletor
Vote RUNEBOUND

Because it's better than dinner at your moms house.

More
30 Sep 2009 02:46 #43315 by The Expanding Man
Michael Barnes wrote:

Monopoly comparisons? "Fixing" TALISMAN? The "nostalgia" argument? Wow. It seemed as if the Spirit of '06 is truly dying. At this point we may as well wrap it up and go back to BGG. Because that's what some of this sounds like.

Well, yes.

But someone invoked the hive mind back at page 1:

Michael Barnes wrote:

This Trashdome is really going to separate the true F:ATties from the posers...those who vote for a real AT classic- one of the cornerstone games of the genre- and those who vote for an incredibly shitty Martin Wallace game that feels so generic and half-assed from top to bottom I'm surprised he didn't try to pass it off as some kind of train game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.045 seconds