October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

I made a game that needs more AT in it ...

More
17 Oct 2011 11:02 - 18 Oct 2011 22:12 #105688 by Cogentesque
Hey Guys,

Now I have only been here for a few weeks, but now, I know a little more about what AT is. I know some cool AT games and the bitchin'ness associated with it. Now I would like to ask your help.

I am making a card game. It is going to be a 1-4 player co-op game based in a Fallout nuclear holocaust world - plenty o' mutants, modded cars and engineer babes. 1940's retro future pinup glam raygun gothic art work all over it. Card only (no chits or dice :( ) mostly for compactness and printing costs tbh.

Right, so this game is modelled on a cross between Euro and Ameritrash. I am taking influence from race for the galaxy and battlestar galactica, magic the gathering etc. So don't know how it will stand with you guys, if you tell me to fuck off - then that's cool, if not - Awesome.

So I am at a stage at the moment where I have the puzzle / euro / efficiancy crap all done - now I need some big ginormous mutant monsters to slay and some even bigger guns to slay 'em with.

I have a load of stuff on Tos ( boardgamegeek.com/thread/703701 ) (I didnt know fat existed until recently as you know, so all my stuff is there) and will port it here if allowed (is there a "boardgame design" forum here btw? Or am I in it?) but for now I need ideas.

What ideas do I need?

Monsters and weapons.

Briefly: there are 5 horizontal "caravan cards" on the table, these are your traveling units that help you get resources (fuel&water) / combat damage to kill wasteland monsters and pay the costs to move on to the next area with your buddies. 5 areas and a boss area and you all win. Each player has a different secret win condition that they also need to fullfill in order to win btw. Each card gives a support bonus to cards to its left and right, if they have enough they can use their activated ability. eg Solar Harvester + 1 fuel, activated ability = an additional +1 fuel.

So I figure I better come to you guys: the kings of asplosions, babes and screwing monsters over and ask for any ideas you have. Steampunky / Mad Max / Escape from New York / Fallout.

Some Cards that we have so far:
"Rotary Harpoon Cannon" - gives +2 Combat to two cards on its right and two on its left
"Gus Fortune's Tesla Wagon" - wild wild west style wagon - big combat damage vs "Human" monsters
"Screamin' Wheels" - Leader unit (player ability unit) which is a nuclear powered train

"Spitballs" - affectionate term from wasteland surviros for skanky twisted mutants
"Frogmorton Ind. Safety Team" - a team of robots (you ever seen screamers?) that were invented to look after the health of work force, ended up screwing Isaac asimov over and deciding the best way to protect them would be to kill them all - think terminator
"Sand Wyrm" - eats carvan cards whole, no combat defense - Like Dune worms, but more teeth and smaller

So if you guys have any ideas that I can use to AT up my game a bit more, that would be really awesome - thanks so much in advance guys :)

Attachment atompunkcoverfinalsmall.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2011 22:12 by Cogentesque. Reason: Spelling like a tosser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2011 17:14 #105725 by jeb
We're not opposed to BGG. BGG is a great resource, and there a frigging zillion really good developers over there that will help you immensely. Don't feel a need to "port" your stuff here--it's not necessary. Some of our more active members have had... less-than-stellar experiences over there and post here exclusively, but most of us F:AT folks are active there too. Especially if you link to your threads. So, whatever makes it easier for you to keep organized.

I'll look things over and hopefully come up with something. Thanks for the chance!

More
17 Oct 2011 21:57 #105740 by Cogentesque
Oh ok cool, thanks Jeb - I'm still trying to work out the "done thing" here. I simply didn't want to say "Hey guyz go to bgg to see my gayme plz!" and then got shot down by that Loter guy (that's right right?) So thought I would try it out this way round, but thankfully mr Jeb you have enlightened me :)

Thank you SO much for having a look buddy, really honestly appreciate any help what so ever.

p.s. ive website'd it at cogentesque.wordpress.com/

Thanks you again mate,

More
18 Oct 2011 13:48 #105759 by Stephen Avery
Doesn't every game need a little more AT in it?

Cool theme. I'll check it out ASAP although my planning period is almost over so it will have to wait till later.

Can the cover have a picture of BillyZ strapped spread eagle to the hood a muscle car?

Steve"Full of good suggestions"Avery
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cogentesque

More
18 Oct 2011 17:50 #105779 by jeb
Give us some templates to work with, so I have an idea of what symbology/lingo we can count on, how much room for rules text, etc. Is this a Golden Rule game (ie, rules on the cards overrule rules in the rule book, i.e. like Magic)? Are there one-shot effects or is everything activated off a "permanent"?

You can tune these concepts to fit the game:

Some Euro-y manipulation ideas:
Hygroscopic Cannon (Vonnegut's* Folly) -- Consume x fuel to receive 2x water at the end of next turn.
Kargo Kompactor -- This wagon can hold twice as much cargo as printed but receives no bonuses from other wagons. (Rules nightmare?)
Pre-crime Milque Tanker -- Look at the top 3 cards of the Event deck and return them in order. Activate: You may put one in the discard pile and return the others in any order.

Critters
Murder of Crows -- Something bad happens (steal something? whatever)

King of Crows -- If there are 2 or more Murder of Crows cards in the discard pile, something REALLY BAD happens, otherwise treat this card as a Murder of Crows card.

Weapons
Radioactive Cow Catcher -- This can only be played on the front wagon. Mutants attacking this caravan have -1 Attack.

Cs137 Crop Duster -- Non-mutants within one wagon of this card have -2 Attack, mutants within one wagon of this card have +1 Attack.

*BERNARD Vonnegut, not Kurt. Look that shit up!

More
24 Oct 2011 15:17 #106305 by Cogentesque
AWESOME!

"Cloud seeding via the application of silver iodide" man that's some knowledge!

Kargo Kompactor: super cool, yes it will be a rules screw but I think it's an awesome idea. Might need to play around with the concept in different mechanic settings and see how it runs out.
Murder of crows is brilliant actually; super simple too simply: "A Murder of Crows" big scary card artwork with swarms of the flying bastards - also like the synergy (I sound like a petrol company when I say that btw) with the king crow card: super inetersting ideas here.

Cs137 Crop Duster and Cow catcher are going because they are awesome and I have just seen this picture: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/John_Bull.jpg

Well the template at the moment is continually being developed so it is very loose currently. It's like a house of cards where each one is supporting the other and there arent (yet) any big building blocks to use.

Steve, thanks so much for your comments - look forward to you looking it up ! Also, my game doesn't have wood cubes ^^

And who is BillyZ? Google tells me he repairs guitar amplifiers?

More
24 Oct 2011 20:02 #106342 by jur
Poison gas. They made tons of it in WWI and had the capability to do it again in WWII (that's why they are all carrying gas masks). It has beautiful names, like chlorine, chloromethyl chloroformate, chloropicrin ('Green Cross'), stannic chloride, arsenic trichloride, dichlormethylether, trichloromethylchloroformate (diphosgene), diphenylchloroarsine, Ethyl iodoacetate, xylyl bromide, dichlorethylsulphide (mustard gas).

Or you can call it by the names of their devices, like the Livens projector

It really makes your dark past future look more dark.

More
24 Oct 2011 20:44 #106350 by MattFantastic

Cogentesque wrote: I simply didn't want to say "Hey guyz go to bgg to see my gayme plz!" and then got shot down by that Loter guy (that's right right?)

No idea what you mean, but I like robotic pinup girls so I like what you're bringing to the table so far. As to BGG, I hang out with public enemy number one on a regular basis so you'll find no beef with me on that front. I mostly just hate shitty attitudes towards teh gayz and other frequently marginalized and insulted groups like fat chicks in chainmail, otherwise, party the fuck on!

More
25 Oct 2011 15:05 #106417 by Citadel
This looks very cool. I think a game design forum here would be great. I find BGG is just too big to work out what is going on there these days. There was talk ages ago of having an F:AT community developed game. I don't think it ever happened though.

Ever since I first played Dominion I have thought that it would be cool to have a more CCG-like version of that game. Like a happy medium between Dominion and a CCG draft. Netrunner was what I was mechanically/thematically thinking of doing.

Good luck with it, Cogentesque.

More
25 Oct 2011 15:19 #106419 by ubarose

Cogentesque wrote: And who is BillyZ? Google tells me he repairs guitar amplifiers?

BillyZ

Starting in the main menu:

SEARCH>SEARCH MEMBERS

Clinking on Search Users will open up the search boxes.

More
25 Oct 2011 16:05 #106423 by stormseeker75
If you find him, you get to slap him!

More
26 Oct 2011 11:47 #106473 by Cogentesque

stormseeker75 wrote: If you find him, you get to slap him!

Kick ass! Thanks for the advice Stormy :D

Also, thanks a whole bunch for the feedback guys, really ace to hear that you think it might be cool - am in the process of deciding which cards to use and not currently: my fave is "Bikini Atoll B.A.R. and grille" hawt firefly type brothel with cyborgs. And the rotary harpoon cannon, along with the Bicycle Dragoons and Prof. Mergatroyds mobile vantage point (a massive ladder on wheels) - this should be cool :)

More
15 Nov 2011 13:45 #107947 by Stephen Avery
I just looked at your game and website. It looks good. I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head and the noisy thrid graders are keeping me from thinking.

It looks like Atomic punk is a mix of futurism and post ww1 industrialism. I like the look.
Good luck with your game.

BTW Wordress wouldn't take my email address for updates. It is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Steve"Giant Robot skyplane death Ray"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds