October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Ruined Runebound

More
31 Aug 2012 23:21 #133693 by SuperflyPete
So check this bullshit out....

I had a guy do commission work (Black Dog...Braveheart101@BGG) and do most of my Runebound figures. Painted them up, including some promos.

I haven't cracked my set open since I got them back, and its been a year or more. Shit, maybe 2. So I go to open it and play tonite and sure as shit....all of them are sticky as fuck. Paint hasn't come off but I'm seriously fucked off.

Anyone have any ideas on how to untackify them? I had this happen to me once before, I forgot to wash the LNOE figs before painting and they never cured due to the mold release. I unstickied them by using acetone and a VERY soft brush which took some of the paint with it, making my LNOE minis I was so proud of look like shit.

I was thinking of buying some mica powder (clear) and stuffing them in it so the microbeads would stick to the exterior...but I dont think it will work.

Someone: HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2012 02:25 #133698 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Ruined Runebound
That really sucks... I probably won't be much help, but...

When I painted my Speed Circuit cars they came out pretty sticky after a couple days of drying. I gave them a few light coats of Krylon Clear over the course of an afternoon. It made them glossier but it also made them solid.

These were cheap cars with throw-away paint jobs, I don't know if I'd take the same tactic to a well-painted mini.

More
01 Sep 2012 02:54 #133705 by Stormcow
Replied by Stormcow on topic Re: Ruined Runebound
If it comes to the worst, would it be possible to strip paints off Runebound/Descent plastics? Is there anything that would be safe to use for that?

(I am not a painter, it's more that personally I would also like to know)

More
01 Sep 2012 03:27 #133707 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Re: Ruined Runebound
Simple Green degreaser seems to be the paint remover of choice for people stripping plastic minis.

The tackiness issue is often a problem with people painting their LNoE minis and I imagine your problem is similar.

The 3 solutions that I've read that are most likely your best options (short of stripping the paint) are: Armory Matte Sealer, Zinsser Clear Spray Shellac, or 2 or 3 thin coats of PVA glue. If they were my minis I'd try the PVA first because it's the least work and it's cheapest. ;)

Also, here's an interesting post from TOS that might be of interest:

TOS wrote: Petroleum base products react weird with vinyl and polyvinyl products.

Many soft plastic figures contain polyvinyl products.

The "react weird" often means "sets up an ongoing chemical reaction that not only keeps the paint from completely drying, but gradually degrades the plastic of the miniature." I have one on my shelf I've been observing since 1997, and it not only hasn't dried yet, but the facial details have been gradually softening ever since then.

The best thing to do is use water based acrylics for priming and painting. The acrylics do NOT react with sealers, and once you have a good solid coat of paint on that puppy, you can seal it, coat it, embed it in Lucite, or whatever.

If you have already painted it and found the horror of tackiness, a coat of white glue will eliminate the tackiness. Polyshades Minwax dips will also eliminate the tacky, although it takes longer to dry. Clear coats, matte or gloss, may be applied after the glue or dip is dry.

Does the plastic continue to degrade, though, even inside the dried coat? I don't know for sure at this point. Experiments continue...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stormcow, SuperflyPete

More
01 Sep 2012 03:28 - 01 Sep 2012 03:34 #133708 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Ruined Runebound
Try contacting Universal Head. He had the same problem with his LNOE figures (IIRC), but later (I think) solved it.

If everything else fail, get Simple Green from Ace Hardware and soak them for 24 hours.

EDIT: Damn, Ninja'd.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 03:34 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stormcow

More
01 Sep 2012 10:25 #133712 by sornars
Replied by sornars on topic Re: Ruined Runebound
Before stripping either try the PVA glue wash (never heard of this but apparently it works) then clear coat or jump straight into a clear coat. That should harden the exterior and hopefully get rid of the tackiness. Once that's dried you can follow up with a layer of matte varnish that will take out the shine. Apply this carefully as if you oversaturate an area with the matte varnish it'll allow the gloss to show through, leading to a patchy coat on the mini.

More
01 Sep 2012 13:26 #133716 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Ruined Runebound
I had the same problem with LNOE!! The plastic they use is very reactive to even acryls. The fix for me was Armory Grey primer, which was like a coat of carbonite. All of my Hero minis are fucked though, as noted.

Simple Elmer's Glue. No shit.

You guys are the best. Absolutely brill.

Thanks so much.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds