October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

My Dune PnP (Ilya)

More
16 Jan 2013 03:23 #141600 by Da Bid Dabid

SuperflyTNT wrote: Pics or it's all a pack of lies! Damned lies!

For the more cynical out there...

Was my first real attempt at anything PnP related, so nothing there is perfect but I'm very happy how it shook out. Asking a lot of questions before hand really kept monetary costs down and although time commitment was quite high, I enjoyed it and would tackle another project in the future and likely would be able to cut a lot of preparation and get higher quality from what I learned from building this.

The board folds into 4 quadrants and was measured and cut with a table saw, than bound with book binding tape. Spray adhesive to carefully apply map.

Disks were acquired from etsy, so are nice round edged and sanded ones. Stickers printed on adhesive paper, cut with circle cutters, and applied to disks after they were painted.

Combat wheels were roughly cut out of illustration board and applied with spray adhesive.

Cards are from printerstudio.com and I'm happy with the service.

Spice is just orange acrylic gems in large and small sizes.

The player shields were printed on lightweight cardstock at local office supply and applied to heavier cardstock with spray adhesive. This was then scored and bent.

Everything but the cards got a few coats of gloss and matte finish.

What remains is printing off the faction abilities and mounting them to the back of the player shields, but I wanted to play the game to see which information from the rules I wanted to include. After one play I think I have an idea of what to put.

Thanks again to Disgustipator for his immense help. I'm happy to return the favor to anyone looking for advice or more in depth questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Almalik, Dr. Mabuse, Hatchling, Thrun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2013 11:35 #141612 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)
Congratulations! That's a hell of a lot of work.

More
16 Jan 2013 14:59 #141619 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)
Great job. I went with a different set of art, but anything that gets more people playing Dune is alright in my book.

More
16 Jan 2013 17:02 #141626 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)
What brand of spray adhesive did you use? I've tried Elmer's in the past on other projects and got poor results. A little too much and it soaks through, not quite enough and it comes apart later. And any quantity of the Elmer's spray adhesive seems to be unbelievably toxic.

More
16 Jan 2013 18:37 #141635 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)
Elmers needs a LIGHT COATING only or it does, indeed soak. But, the best spray adhesive of all time is 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It is, unabashedly, the King Daddy of all spray glue.

I can't describe how truly epic that looks David. It's beautiful. You did really well. I am officially jealous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25

More
16 Jan 2013 18:45 #141637 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)
That looks really good. Nice job!

More
17 Jan 2013 01:55 #141682 by Delobius
Replied by Delobius on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)
Looks awesome! How much (roughly) did it cost in materials and whatnot? I've looked at that myself, but it seemed like even with doing almost everything myself, it'd still be fairly pricey...

More
17 Jan 2013 13:46 #141703 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)
Beautiful. I've been wanting to replace my old homebrew set with Ilya's for a while now. What kind of circle cutters do you use?

More
17 Jan 2013 16:09 #141716 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Re: My Dune PnP (Ilya)

Shellhead wrote: What brand of spray adhesive did you use? I've tried Elmer's in the past on other projects and got poor results. A little too much and it soaks through, not quite enough and it comes apart later. And any quantity of the Elmer's spray adhesive seems to be unbelievably toxic.

As Pete mentioned I used 3M's Super 77, it works great and didn't notice any soaking through at all or anything like that. The only issue using it is that you need to place down the material directly matched up because it allows pretty much zero flexibility to adjust once it hits that spray adhesive. Because I had precut the map sections (I thought using the saw to cut if I glued first may damage the photo map layer) lining up the exact edges was extremely difficult to get absolutely perfect, but as this was my first project not being perfect was fine if it still looked good enough.

Delobius wrote: Looks awesome! How much (roughly) did it cost in materials and whatnot? I've looked at that myself, but it seemed like even with doing almost everything myself, it'd still be fairly pricey...

A some rough price breakdowns:
$20 in printing costs - map, player shields, tokens on adhesive paper
$20 + 8 (shipping) for wood and spice tokens
$16 for the cards
$10 for the illustrator board and other mounting board
$13 for two craft punches - paint and other building materials like fresh cutting blades I already had

I think $80ish is a fair number for this build, possibly more or less based on building materials you may already own. It helps a lot if you don't have to re-do anything so measure twice and cut once.

Jason Lutes wrote: Beautiful. I've been wanting to replace my old homebrew set with Ilya's for a while now. What kind of circle cutters do you use?

I bought these "clever lever" punches.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018N7NBM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S15OGQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

They worked fine. The big one cut very clean and nice however I was matching 1.5 inch cuts exactly to 1.5 inch surfaces so if I was off just a bit I'd have a hanging edge... I don't see that forcing them to pull off but you defintely want your disk size to be slightly larger than the cutout. This was the case with my smaller troop tokens as the 5/8ths stickers were applied to .75 inch disks. However the smaller punch did not cut quite as cleanly as the larger punch and could produce minor wrinkles at times. By the time I smoothed out the sticker on the disk it was always barely noticeable so it wouldn't bug you unless you let it. Any imperfection that small is worth the huge amount of time they saved me.

Thanks for all the kind words, excited to play again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
17 Jan 2013 16:56 #141723 by Disgustipater

Da Bid Dabid wrote: It helps a lot if you don't have to re-do anything so measure twice and cut once.

I cannot stress this enough. Test everything.

I cut out all 300+ circles by hand with scissors, and then found out the diameter of the discs included the rounded edge (and not just the flat face), so I had to print and cut a new set.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds