October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Space Hulk: the Downward Spiral

More
11 Oct 2009 04:48 #44380 by Lagduf
A brown or black wash (or both) will also give you some nice weathering effects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2009 08:33 #44383 by ubarose
dragonstout wrote:

Just wanted to say this is my favorite painting thread ever. Thanks to Shellhead for portraying what it's *really* like to paint for the first time!

Too bad he didn't have a video camera running. Spilling all that paint. What a drag.

More
11 Oct 2009 15:26 #44390 by Shellhead
ubarose wrote:

dragonstout wrote:

Just wanted to say this is my favorite painting thread ever. Thanks to Shellhead for portraying what it's *really* like to paint for the first time!

Too bad he didn't have a video camera running. Spilling all that paint. What a drag.

Ehh, it was a bottle of Citadel paint, so it wasn't that much paint that got spilled. This was one time when GW's legendary stinginess worked in my favor.

More
11 Oct 2009 15:58 #44392 by Gary Sax
Shellhead wrote:

Spray-priming is fun. I had shot of bourbon first, to steady my hands.

This is my favorite part.

More
11 Oct 2009 20:40 #44396 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

Ehh, it was a bottle of Citadel paint, so it wasn't that much paint that got spilled. This was one time when GW's legendary stinginess worked in my favor.

Yeah, but spilling good paint in like spilling good bourbon. It's painful and tragic. Although, I'm a bit freaky about my art supplies. Emotional baggage from being a starving art student, and having to save up for a month to afford a tube of cerulean blue.

More
12 Oct 2009 01:58 - 12 Oct 2009 01:59 #44402 by KingPut
ubarose wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Yeah, but spilling good paint in like spilling good bourbon. It's painful and tragic. Although, I'm a bit freaky about my art supplies. Emotional baggage from being a starving art student, and having to save up for a month to afford a tube of cerulean blue.

but good bourbon you can always lick up (5 second rule in effect). did you see the space hulk cartoon on bgg? looks like kingput's life.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Oct 2009 01:59 by KingPut.

More
12 Oct 2009 09:51 #44417 by Shellhead
In all, I think that only 20% of the paint jar was wasted. I primed all of the door stands plus a majority of the other bases by the time that spill congealed beyond usability. I painted a few more bases yesterday, but decided to take the rest of the day off from painting. My right hand was feeling a little cramped from all that dry-brushing on Saturday, and that hand is also my accounting hand, and we're closing the quarter right now.

More
15 Oct 2009 00:21 #44757 by Shellhead
It's been a hectic week, so I won't get back to painting figures until Sunday. If I get a chance, I will post a picture or two here of my work-in-progress. Those two Gene-Stealers that are bursting out of the floor? With nothing but black primer plus the floor/base painted boltgun silver, they look surprisingly good. The metallic gleams on that sculpt so nicely that it practically looks molten. I suppose that I will need to paint in some highlights where it's naturally gleaming right now, to compensate for the dulling effect of the sealant that will go on at the end.

More
18 Oct 2009 20:42 #45012 by Shellhead
I only had time to do a little painting this weekend. I did a few more bases, then started to drybrush on that mechrite red foundation paint on the space marine armor. Just now, I was looking at painting guides for the marines again, and I don't think that I like all the detail on them. It's very cluttered looking, with all those insignias, badges, purity seals, etc. The guy with the flamer has parchment attached to his armor for reasons that completely elude me. I think that I am going to skip some of those details. I'm still going to paint the weapons in metallic tones, and do some details here and there, like the gold insignias and the green lens over the eyes. But some of the more useless details, like those purity seals and parchment? Well, sometimes less is more.

More
19 Oct 2009 09:44 #45027 by NeonPeon
I dig those details - the Space Marines are supposed to over the top. I mean, you've got this one dude called the Librarian who's got a big fuckin' book mounted on his shoulders. :)

I'm enjoying this thread...Keep it up.

More
23 Oct 2009 10:40 #45283 by Shellhead
Finally got back to the painting table last night. I decided to back off on the Space Marines for now, and focus on the less complicated Genestealers. I dry-brushed midnight blue on the carapaces, taking care to not cover their elbow spikes, which will eventually be purple. It looked too vividly blue at first, but as the paint dried, it darkened nicely. I've got a blue ink that I'm going to apply to those carapaces, then start painting gormenghast purple (or whatever it's called) on the rest of their bodies, except mechrite red on the tongues, and maybe some brown basecoat on the claws.

Do I need to wear a mask at this stage, too? No sinus problems like I had while spraying primer, but I woke up with a bit of a headache today. Normally I don't get headaches unless I am very sick or very hungover.

I'm going to pick up some kind of fleshtone paint tonight. I won't need it anytime soon for Space Hulk, but I'm going to try to do my Fury of Dracula figures by Saturday. I'm hosting a day of horror-themed boardgames on Sunday (with my collection, I could easily host a week like that), and FoD remains popular with my group.

More
23 Oct 2009 10:57 #45285 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

I'm going to pick up some kind of fleshtone paint tonight. I won't need it anytime soon for Space Hulk, but I'm going to try to do my Fury of Dracula figures by Saturday. I'm hosting a day of horror-themed boardgames on Sunday (with my collection, I could easily host a week like that), and FoD remains popular with my group.

I used Elf Flesh with the Sepia wash on my FoD hunters, and Elf Flesh over a white base, then a black wash for Dracula. Black wash greys down the color, while the sepia warms it up. I think it worked well.

More
23 Oct 2009 11:01 #45287 by Columbob
Shellhead wrote:

Do I need to wear a mask at this stage, too? No sinus problems like I had while spraying primer, but I woke up with a bit of a headache today. Normally I don't get headaches unless I am very sick or very hungover.

No need for a mask. The headache might come from your body position (shoulders hunched?) or from concentrating and staring at the little details for a while.

More
23 Oct 2009 11:03 #45289 by VonTush
Shellhead wrote:

Personally I never wear a mask and that includes when I spray paint stuff (or cut treated lumber for that matter)...So I may not be the best person to listen to.

I don't think there is anything toxic in GW paints so I don't believe a mask is necessary. Sometimes I get headaches after painting because I've been stairing and trying to focus in on a small space for extended periods.

More
23 Oct 2009 11:17 #45291 by Shellhead
Thanks for the tips, both of you. Yeah, my posture while painting is terrible. And I will definitely pick up the Elf Flesh paint, that was one that I was looking at last time at the store. If they don't have the Sepia ink, I will just water down one of my browns for a wash.

Last night, I was picking up something at the hardware store anyway, so I thought that I might as well go to the titanic Menard's and also look for ideas for storing my Space Hulk minis. It was weird. I always assumed that a place that size would have almost anything I could imagine, but the only surge protector/power strip they sold was a generic one with a six foot cord. (I needed 12 foot.) And the best I could come up with for Space Hulk storage was rolls of window insulation, and that stuff was too flimsy. I think that I need to look into foamcore.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds