October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2439 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
20 Feb 2024 09:18 #341817 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Those look great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2024 09:20 #341818 by blatz
Picked up the Masters of the Universe: Battleground game and started going to town on it. It's very good and has pretty much fired Warhammer Underworlds for me. Still can't post pictures so here's a link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBeN4R
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
27 Feb 2024 15:12 #341855 by BillyBobThwarton
Started painting minis last September for several reasons… Partly I was intrigued by earlier posts in this thread about dry brushing a grey scale and then laying speed paints on top. I have also stuck to a monthly Godtear/whiskey night with a cousin who lives nearby for likely 18 months now and have wanting to spruce the figures up. Lastly, I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists and needed a PT activity.

I’ve been really enjoying it. The above mentioned approach really works for me and I’ve been able to complete some of the warbands in minimal time (4 hours?).

I think I’ve got 16 of the 26 sets complete, and my favorite was Jaak as it allowed me to do my take on the Rainbow Goblins. I am a huge fan of Primus and they did an album called the Desaturated Seven inspired by this kids book from the 70’s.

As an activity, I have found mini painting to be an interesting puzzle. Once a warband is primed I will study these figures under and Ott light and sleuth out the various colors. I have fun discovering the details on the model and respect the amount of effort that went into designing them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames, birdman37, sornars, Virabhadra

More
29 Feb 2024 10:39 - 29 Feb 2024 11:20 #341867 by Virabhadra

Talaxis treasures. Five down, one to go!

Incidentally, one of the first responses on the Warcry Reddit was "Five treasures, you say? Have you heard the tale of Frostrgrave?" I've got the PDF rulebook and haven't really looked at it.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2024 11:20 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, birdman37, sornars, blatz, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
01 Mar 2024 11:25 #341878 by blatz
Man, I bounced off of Frostgrave pretty hard. I love it in theory but minis-agnostic games almost always feel bland to me. Plus the single D20 roll is WILDLY swingy, which would be perfectly acceptable if the game didn't take forever to play. I don't know. Most people seem to love it. Warcry immediately replaced it in my group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Virabhadra

More
02 Mar 2024 09:46 #341887 by hotseatgames
Frostgrave is the most fun I've ever had with a minis game. And yes, the d20 is wild, but I also like Wiz-War. Dealing with magic is dangerous business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, sornars, Virabhadra

More
04 Mar 2024 10:22 #341896 by blatz
I love Wiz-War as well. I have all the 8th edition stuff and will never part with it. I think the reason they are different in my head is that Wiz-War leans 100% into complete lunacy. Everything about it screams "don't take it too seriously because you are about to go off the rails." It sets up and tears down quickly and it rarely ever runs longer than you want it to.

Frostgrave looks and reads like a very serious affair from the get-go. Everything from the art and the lore to the time required to paint and create a war band (complete with RPG style advancement over a campaign) tells you this is an INVESTMENT. Not to mention building, painting, setting up and putting away a bunch of terrain (the game wants a crowded table). Having the game then boil down to a bunch of opposed D20 rolls just didn't land with us. After an hour, that "hilarious" moment of rolling another 1 and watching another one of your little peasant militia members get smoked kind of loses it's charm.

Again, most people adore this game and I REALLY wanted to to love it. The creator seems like a cool dude and I'm a sucker for the idea of a miniature-agnostic game where half the fun is creating your own aesthetic from whatever you want. This one just didn't grab me the way I was hoping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Virabhadra

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds