October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
16 Sep 2016 10:35 #234406 by barrowdown

40 oz wrote: I learned you don't want to use black primer when painting yellow.

Yeah, the warmer colors (yellow, red, orange) and white do not usually do great with a black undercoat unless you paint a ton of layers. I've never had the problem with pink, but I use a dark pink as a base, which makes it easier to lighten it up.

On an outside note:

I am starting a project to build a 40k army for a local league. I'll be doing a lot of conversions in the process (basically turning one Daemon Prince kit into four Daemon Princes using other odds and ends). Would unpainted converted figures get filed in this thread? Would that be of interest?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2016 13:37 #234424 by metalface13

barrowdown wrote:
Yeah, the warmer colors (yellow, red, orange) and white do not usually do great with a black undercoat unless you paint a ton of layers. I've never had the problem with pink, but I use a dark pink as a base, which makes it easier to lighten it up.

On an outside note:

I am starting a project to build a 40k army for a local league. I'll be doing a lot of conversions in the process (basically turning one Daemon Prince kit into four Daemon Princes using other odds and ends). Would unpainted converted figures get filed in this thread? Would that be of interest?

Yes. I love conversions and seeing how they come together before paint.

More
19 Sep 2016 00:29 - 19 Sep 2016 00:35 #234534 by 40 oz
Replied by 40 oz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

Silver Tower’s Mightiest Heroes. Painted with Army Painter war paints and tried to match the pictures in the guidebook. I found the Knight-Questor, Darkoath Chieftain and Fyreslayer Doomseeker the most enjoyable to paint. The Mistweaver and Tenebrael Shard were tedious and not much fun. The Warpriest was enjoyable, I just oversprayed the primer and lost some of the detail. I picked up some Vallejo white surface brush on primer, but I don't think it works as well as Army Painter spray or Citadel imperial brush on.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 00:35 by 40 oz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Space Ghost, Gary Sax, Columbob, hotseatgames, Frohike, JEM

More
19 Sep 2016 02:41 - 19 Sep 2016 02:42 #234537 by Space Ghost
Apparently 40 oz is some master painter. Here is my first painted GW mini ever -- it is the Slaughter Priest from the last White Dwarf

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 02:42 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Almalik, Mr. White, Columbob, hotseatgames, Frohike, stoic, JEM

More
19 Sep 2016 11:03 #234559 by barrowdown

40 oz wrote: I picked up some Vallejo white surface brush on primer, but I don't think it works as well as Army Painter spray or Citadel imperial brush on.

In my experience, Vallejo's white brush on primer really needs to be watered down because it is super thick and will clog detail. I like it when it leaves a very smeared primer coat on the mini.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Sep 2016 00:20 #234588 by 40 oz
Replied by 40 oz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Thanks for the tip barrowdown. I'll give it another shot. Space Ghost, your slaughter priest looks great. Basing is a future goal of mine. If Gorechosen turns out to be a good game, I might pick it up and give it a shot since there are only 4 models. Does anyone add weight to their minis? I saw someone on youtube glue a washer under the base to make the mini heavier. Does anyone do this? Seems simple.

More
20 Sep 2016 00:22 #234589 by Space Ghost
Thanks. I only based it because my 4 yr old daughter saw the picture and insisted that we needed to grass for it. As it turns out, I like it -- so I might start basing them all.

More
20 Sep 2016 00:27 #234590 by hotseatgames
Got 5 marines assembled tonight for Betrayal at Calth. The first one took me 30 minutes but I got faster as I went along. The sculpts are fantastic, and they include an assembly guide that is actually pretty good. Mantic could take some lessons.

More
20 Sep 2016 07:01 #234591 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

40 oz wrote: Thanks for the tip barrowdown. I'll give it another shot. Space Ghost, your slaughter priest looks great. Basing is a future goal of mine. If Gorechosen turns out to be a good game, I might pick it up and give it a shot since there are only 4 models. Does anyone add weight to their minis? I saw someone on youtube glue a washer under the base to make the mini heavier. Does anyone do this? Seems simple.

I used to glue 2p coins inside the bases of my plastic 40K minis. Only because of uneven terrain pieces and the like. With board game figures I haven't found the need to.

More
27 Sep 2016 06:00 - 27 Sep 2016 06:01 #235027 by Matt Thrower
From left to right, the slow process of re-learning how to paint.

Not happy with any of them. And this took hours.

It doesn't help that these old Genestealers are crap models with badly delineated areas and textures. But I'll be damned if I'm trying any of my Silver Tower miniatures until I've painted a few old figures to a good standard.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Sep 2016 06:01 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White, Columbob, hotseatgames, stoic

More
27 Sep 2016 08:22 #235029 by Mr. White
These genestealers look great. Classic color scheme.

What are you using here to add texture to the bases? Looks like some sort of grating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Sep 2016 08:33 #235030 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: These genestealers look great. Classic color scheme.

What are you using here to add texture to the bases? Looks like some sort of grating.

Thanks. They don't look so good up close, but I need to remember I'm painting for a miniatures game and not a showcase. I often stick to tried and tested colour schemes: I can paint, but I'm no artist. I often pick bad colours left to my own devices.

One of the reasons it's taken me more than 20 years to get round to painting Space Hulk is because I couldn't find a good way to base the figures. A few weeks ago I happened to glance down at some accumulate litter in a drain outside my house. Among the detritus was a strip of joint tape, the stuff builders use to create a textured surface on which to apply plaster or grout - it's full of perfect tiny squares. And I thought "Space Hulk bases!" and that's what I used.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
27 Sep 2016 12:47 #235038 by Delobius
I love this GW renaissance that's sweeping the nation!

Because I hate myself and don't want to win, I decided to get into Chaos Space Marines as my new 40K army. They're terrible! But boy, do they look cool...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, hotseatgames

More
27 Sep 2016 13:30 #235041 by Hex Sinister
Those genestealers remind me of how many countless hours I spent painting mine for my tyranid army (and Space Hulk) only to have my friend's mom accidentally spray cleaning product on them and ruin 70% of them. I was crushed. Haven't picked up a brush or airbrush since. I still have an old school carnifex still in the box along with some termagaunts(?). I had bought a starter box of EPIC as well but the thought of painting the gazillion rice sized space marines just killed it.

More
27 Sep 2016 19:11 #235055 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
A company of those rice sized marines can be painted in one or two nights.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds