October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
28 Sep 2016 03:52 #235071 by Hex Sinister
I don't have your skillz... there is a lot of small detail work there. Then lots of bases too. Ugh. I should sell it already.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2016 04:01 - 28 Sep 2016 04:11 #235072 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
It's not skill mate, it's laziness! Basecoat, drybrush, and pick the details.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2016 04:11 by Sevej.

More
28 Sep 2016 04:20 #235073 by Hex Sinister
Space Marine - $40 plus shipping =P

More
28 Sep 2016 05:51 #235076 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
If shiping to the other side isn't kiling, would've taken that.

More
28 Sep 2016 13:30 #235104 by metalface13

Hex Sinister wrote: Space Marine - $40 plus shipping =P

This one?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
28 Sep 2016 18:28 #235122 by Hex Sinister
This one:
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4001/space-marine

Nothing but marines and some vehicles in it. Oh, some buildings. I need to dig it out and see if it's intact.

More
28 Sep 2016 19:08 #235123 by Michael Barnes
Here's some new stuff... Can't for the life of me figure out how to embed a Flickr picture here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54116966@N03/shares/197rR1

The Darkoath Chieftain was really fun to paint. I followed the TWG tutorial and it produced a good result. I finished it up and was going to leave the eyes undone but I went for it. I managed to accidentally put them in just right so he has a nasty disposition.

The Warpriest I went with a WD Paint Splatter, which is kind of nice because it's really more of a "get you going" guide than a full instruction. But I fumbled a couple of things; the lightning bolts look awful and I sort of screwed up the shading. I thought his skin and face turned out well.

Storm set guy was fun too- pretty easy, really, and simple techniques give a good look. Say what you will about "Sigmarines", like SMs they are well designed for even the most amateur painter. I want to do some more of these dudes.

Pink horror was lots of fun too, good colors and a great figure. Basic layering, and I played around with some simple gradients on the flames and feathers. I love these models.

Probably do the Ogroid tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, Mr. White, hotseatgames, Sevej, stoic, JEM

More
28 Sep 2016 20:00 #235125 by Mr. White
These look great!

Did you use gold on that stormcast knight? Looks crisp. I could never get gold looking that smoorh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
28 Sep 2016 21:01 #235130 by Michael Barnes
That is a new-ish Citadel gold called Retributor Armor. I love it. It's so freakin' smooth, it goes on like melted butter. And it's a base paint so the coverage is excellent. There is no "flake" in it at all, I guess they are using some kind of superfine metal to pigment it. It's much more metallic than other golds. There is a silver like this too, Stormhost Silver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
28 Sep 2016 21:11 #235131 by hotseatgames
Nice stuff. As for flickr, I've found that neither the app nor the built-in iOS functionality will allow me to post directly to it from my phone. What a pain.

More
28 Sep 2016 21:25 - 28 Sep 2016 21:26 #235132 by Mr. White
Here's my take on these stormcast dudes.

One looks really bad@$$.

The mask gives them a sort of Greek hero/demi-god vibe.

I feel 'meh' about an army of them. Definitely meh on some of the variants.

It's like a ninja...one is cool...but an army is lame.
Or like the green knight. One as a unique hero is awesome...an army would look silly.

Another reason why silver tower works for me. One champion stormcast knight. Perfect. I just wish he had a warhammer...
Last edit: 28 Sep 2016 21:26 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Sep 2016 21:35 - 28 Sep 2016 21:40 #235136 by Mr. White
Oh, I saw a blog where someone did that large ogre thing with mainly washes/glazes. Super easy and looked incredible. I'll see if I can find it again.

That was fast....
agogonline.blogspot.com/2016/06/warhamme...-tower-painting.html

Looks like they just ran blue glaze over white primer.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2016 21:40 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, hotseatgames

More
30 Sep 2016 04:24 #235223 by Matt Thrower
So I bought some extra models for Silver Tower. The Dark Elf Sorceress so I've got two girl heroes for my daughters to play. It's disappointing there isn't a bigger selection, and that the Sorceress is mostly undressed, but I reckon I can get away with painting some trousers on her at least. And the Burning Chariot model which comes with three of the four exotic monster options: an exalted flamer, the herald of Tzeentch and two screamers. Plus three extra blue horror models for variety.

Most come without bases, which I expected. What I didn't expect was that the screamer tails are moulded into the underside of the chariot. I have no idea how I can realistically get them out without a ridiculous amount of work. You can see the problem here - the tails are in among all the tentacles mid-left of the picture:

hobby-games.com.ua/shop/published/public...es02_873x627_enl.jpg

Any ideas? Or anyone got any spare Screamer tails ;) ?

More
30 Sep 2016 06:01 - 30 Sep 2016 06:08 #235224 by Mr. White
Why not just leave the tails off? Or greenstuff small ones in their place? Tzeentch is the Lord of change....

For the sorceress, just paint clothes where there would be skin. Think of it as sort of like superhero tights in those areas.

For more female options...Get a mordheim sister of sigmar as a warpriest. A mordheim amazon for the chieftain. A wfb witch elf to use in the place of that male elf in silver tower. Basically just gender swaps leaving the stats the same.

Also...maybe the skink starpriest is female...
Last edit: 30 Sep 2016 06:08 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
30 Sep 2016 06:57 #235225 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: For the sorceress, just paint clothes where there would be skin. Think of it as sort of like superhero tights in those areas.

Yeah, that was my plan. I might do flesh on the torso though, as its showing abdominal muscles so would have to be super tight. Can always experiment and see how it looks, everyone who posted samples online seems to have gone with maximum nakedness.

Mr. White wrote: For more female options...Get a mordheim sister of sigmar as a warpriest. A mordheim amazon for the chieftain. A wfb witch elf to use in the place of that male elf in silver tower. Basically just gender swaps leaving the stats the same.

It's a good idea, but I seriously think they'd still balk at the card art showing a male hero. It's amazing how important this stuff is to them, and it's something that, as a male gamer, I just never have to consider. They want to envisage themselves down there on the tabletop, playing the hero, and part of that is seeing and believing in a female avatar, ideally one that looks heroic and not like a sex doll. Such a basic thing and makes it so obvious why more girls aren't attracted into fantasy/sci-fi gaming. I wish more companies would take note.

As an aside, does anyone know the actual dimensions of the Silver Tower character cards? Was going to print out one for the sorceress but don't know what size to make it as the colour printer is at work and the cards are at home ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.247 seconds