October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
04 Oct 2016 10:36 #235477 by barrowdown

hotseatgames wrote:

barrowdown wrote: How did you do your red? It's unique looking and I'm trying to find interesting ideas for my Khorne prince.

That red is simply Citadel Mephiston Red. I then took a generic pink and tried to do some edging like they show in the Betrayal at Calth manual, but I don't have the robotic dexterity of the GW painters.

Wow, I would have guessed it was Khorne Red or an equivalent, which has a more pink base than Mephiston Red. It a nice look. I was thinking of a more "pink" look for my Khorne daemon and I think you have pushed me there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2016 12:37 - 04 Oct 2016 12:38 #235480 by Space Ghost

Here is the first completed one -- trying to go for a jungly base
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Oct 2016 12:38 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barrowdown

More
04 Oct 2016 20:29 - 04 Oct 2016 20:33 #235506 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

hotseatgames wrote:

barrowdown wrote: How did you do your red? It's unique looking and I'm trying to find interesting ideas for my Khorne prince.

That red is simply Citadel Mephiston Red. I then took a generic pink and tried to do some edging like they show in the Betrayal at Calth manual, but I don't have the robotic dexterity of the GW painters.

Have you tried orange for highlight? I never put highlight on my red, however. Just bright red, and probably some shading.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2016 20:33 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
06 Oct 2016 11:51 #235637 by Mr. White
I can't decide if I'm going to commit to sand bases or get dungeon tiles.

For dungeon tiles, I was thinking either the 'sanctuary' or 'desecrated lands' line from here:
dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%2.../round_base_sets.htm

maybe they'll look something like this:

but if i go with sand, one it's super cheap - already have it -, but I guess the base is generic enough I could use the minis in a AoS game without them looking out of place. the minis would look sort of like this:

some people are scanning board tiles and printing off images to glue onto the base, but I wonder if that'll be too busy.

Plus, if I go dungeon bases I have to order and wait. With sand, i can begin painting tonight...

Thoughts?

More
06 Oct 2016 12:06 #235642 by fastbilly1
What sealant are yall using?

For the last decade I have used Prismacolor Fixative, but I just emptied my last can and my local hobby store's do not carry it.

More
06 Oct 2016 12:08 #235644 by Mr. White
Testor's Dulcote.

can get it at hobby lobby, michaels, etc.

More
06 Oct 2016 12:16 #235647 by barrowdown

fastbilly1 wrote: What sealant are yall using?

For the last decade I have used Prismacolor Fixative, but I just emptied my last can and my local hobby store's do not carry it.

I use Vallejo Varnish (Gloss and Matt).

I understand Testors Dullcote and Glosscote are excellent as well, but I prefer to use an airbrush and do not like to spray enamels.

More
06 Oct 2016 12:18 #235648 by barrowdown

Mr. White wrote: Thoughts?

Either of the first two options looks good. I really, really do not like the printed off base tops.

More
06 Oct 2016 12:22 #235651 by hotseatgames
Sand / gravel is so easy and looks good, regardless of whether or not it "fits" certain tiles.

More
06 Oct 2016 13:03 - 06 Oct 2016 13:07 #235658 by Michael Barnes
Two of the Gorechosen gang have been painted. Pics later. I did Heldrax (Slaughterpriest) as a black guy. I think he looks much more interesting than the studio white dude. I like painting darker skin more, it just looks better at my skill level.

Really fun to paint these, just make sure you have plenty of Khorne Red and Retributor Armor.

On basing- I like the really custom, specific bases, but I think doing something like Agrellan Earth/Martian Ironearth/Astrogranite gives a nice, universal finish that is probably better for these figures that you can use across multiple games.. You can paint/drybrush the stuff, glue tuft on it, etc. later if you want.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 13:07 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
06 Oct 2016 13:53 #235670 by Space Ghost
Sweet mercy -- how do you paint so quickly?

I must be the slowest painter on earth....

More
06 Oct 2016 16:28 - 06 Oct 2016 17:17 #235699 by Da Bid Dabid
Damn you F:AT. All my painting stuff now out of storage, went and bought about $30 of paints to fill some holes and try the new Citadel range, mostly finished up my Blood Rage giant and a couple of 15mm detectives, looking a two new rulesets for playing games in 15mm fantasy. Just when you think you're out...

Also I'm claiming that I'm years ahead of the curve of all this Fortress:MiniatureTrash movement.
fortressat.com/forum/20-table-top-miniat...8-why-hate-on-the-tt
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 17:17 by Da Bid Dabid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
10 Oct 2016 15:12 - 10 Oct 2016 20:21 #235869 by Mr. White
Finished my first WHQ:Silver Tower/ Age of Sigmar figure.

Slaughterpriest Warduke

I poured through what was left of my bits box, to see if I had any wings or anything for the iconic Warduke helmet, but no such luck. Beyond, that the Slaughterpriest looked like a great model to use as re-imagining or ‘Warduke in the Age of Sigmar’ as it were. Warduke’s left arm is encased in blue chainmail. The Slaughterpriest doesn’t have any chainmail on his arms, but his left arm is swole as if he received a gift or mutation. I attempted to make it look like this gift resulted in a blown up blue arm and his skin color fades from the Kislev Flesh to blue. I also needed to add in two very small green stuff orbs in his helmet to paint red for his glowing eyes. I had considered going with a glow/lighting effect around these orbs on the helmet, but there doesn’t look to be enough space for my meager talents. I think I’ll leave it as is.

At any rate, here he is…Warduke arrives in the Age of Sigmar ready to challenge the Gaunt Summoner’s Silver Tower.

I’ve also debated on how I was going to do the bases on the minis for this game as he is the first figure painted for Silver Tower. I had considered going with dungeon tiled bases, but think I’m going to stick with blue/grey sand as it’s more versatile should I actually use these models in an Age of Sigmar game proper, GORECHOSEN, or whatever.

Note, in the Riot Fest thread I mentioned some less than positive thoughts I had about Danzig’s banter. Well, ironically, since then I’ve pretty much been listening to the first three Danzig albums a lot. ‘How the Gods Kill’ has been the theme song of this Warduke model.

EDIT: zooming in on the photo I can see a little touch up is required around the shoulder pad and eye orbs. I didn't catch that with the naked eye and totally unnoticeable on the table. damn technology...
Last edit: 10 Oct 2016 20:21 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, metalface13, Gary Sax, Columbob, hotseatgames, birdman37, JEM, barrowdown

More
10 Oct 2016 15:57 #235874 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Ah that's great. I kind of hate the endless red/gold khorne colours. I'm going to do something similar with my Gorechosen guys.

More
10 Oct 2016 20:31 #235883 by Mr. White
I doubt I'll pick up GORECHOSEN. I love chaos as an antagonist to battle against, but never been too interested in playing as chaos myself. So, a game of all chaos dudes doesn’t necesarily appeal, but I hope to play someone's GORECHOSEN with my Slaughterpriest here. I figure this AoS Warduke fella has his own agenda.

Regarding painting, maybe what I'll start doing is when I think i'm done, snap a photo on my phone just to zoom in and see if there are any necessary fixable offenses required.

Adding the scan of a zoomed image as a step in the process.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.584 seconds