October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2693 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
08 Nov 2016 10:43 #237720 by Michael Barnes
I use:

Citade L Base (THE best basecoat brush, has angled bristles)

Citadel M Base x2

Citadel M Layer (longer, finer bristles)

Citadel S Layer x2 (great for really fine detail)

Citadel M Drybrush

Citadel L Drybrush (flat bristles, essential for terrain pieces)

Citadel M Shade

Citadel M Terrain (big, fat round bristles)

Army Painter Regiment (sort of like a fatter layer brush, great for things like base rims)

Army Painter Insane Detail (really small bristles)

Army Painter Psycho (REALLY small bristles- like painting with a hair)

Army Painter Small Drybrush (angled)

Army Painter Standard Hobby Brush (kind of an "I'm too lazy to clean another brush" one)

Miscellaneous junk brushes

If anyone needs a Christmad gift idea for me, I'd like a set of those Citadel Artificer brushes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2016 10:53 #237722 by Da Bid Dabid
I do 90% of my painting with a W&N Series 7 Size 0 and Size 1. I do not like their 707 miniatures series.

The other 10% is drybrushing or very large areas or very small areas where I use brushes like the ones you posted.

More
08 Nov 2016 10:56 - 08 Nov 2016 10:59 #237723 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: If anyone needs a Christmad gift idea for me, I'd like a set of those Citadel Artificer brushes.

Honest question: is there a reason you'd rather have Citadel Artificer brushes over the cheaper source company (Priestly has said that the older Artificer brushes in the past were rebranded W&N Series 7 and these are likely the same thing)?

EDIT: I'm purely asking out of curiosity. I'm sure the Artificers are excellent because the Series 7 brushes are excellent.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2016 10:59 by barrowdown.

More
08 Nov 2016 11:23 #237730 by Michael Barnes
Huh, I didn't know that. I just wanted to see if they were worthwhile- but if that is the case, maybe just somebody get me some W&N brushes.

Trade me that Khorne stuff dude! I'll work out a deal with you on one of those games if you want.

More
11 Nov 2016 00:52 #237995 by 40 oz
Replied by 40 oz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I'm in the home stretch on Silver Tower. All that is left is the Tzaangors. I've been thinking about what I might want to tackle next. I started Mansions of Madness, but it is not nearly as enjoyable as painting GW figures. Perhaps Black Plague might be something in the middle.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Columbob, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, JEM, Vlad

More
11 Nov 2016 01:55 #237996 by Michael Barnes
Outstanding!

Yeah, it's hard to do anything after GW minis...NOTHING is as rewarding. The level of quality between "great" board game minis and the Silver Tower stuff is so far apart- the Grots are about on the level of board game minis, I guess, but compare the Mistweaver to those shitty Mansions of Madness figures.

And crap figures are actually harder to paint.

BLack Plauge stuff is OK, but the details are really frustrating. The casting is such that there is way too much flat detail. I would recommend a quick and dirty approach with them, tons of wash. I've done all the heroes and most of the Crowz and Wolfz (black prime, drybrush, seriously) and about 10 zombies. Definitely not showcase figures, but better than gray.

I'm about 75% of the way through 20 Khorne Bloodreavers that I've been painting on and off today. Trying to get all the Khorne stuff done soon so I can get down to business with this Seraphon Dino collection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
11 Nov 2016 02:39 #238002 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I just finished my acolytes, too! And the skaven deathrunner, which is probably the best paint job I did so far.
For some reason, the upload is not working, though.

I absolutely love the Silver Tower minis. Gorgeous sculpts and design. As little as I care about the AoS lore, the art direction is sooo evocative. You just feel compelled to give these guys a decent backstory, even if it is just in your head. Reminds me of Dark Souls on some level - not the style, but the weirdness and wordless deepness of it. My only complaint is that there're two identical sculpts for each grunt with no customization options.

I feel tempted to get the AoS starter, or even two starting armies. Those skaven look wicked...

More
11 Nov 2016 03:44 - 11 Nov 2016 03:47 #238007 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I would suggest the Army Painter 3-brushes set. I'm not so keen on using many different brushes, so I like to have multiples of their Regiment brushes.

Also two syntethic brushes, one large, one very large. I use this for basecoating, including vehicles.

Not painting, but have been assembling and blinging out this bad ass ork fucker.

Last edit: 11 Nov 2016 03:47 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Nov 2016 09:52 #238032 by Da Bid Dabid

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, it's hard to do anything after GW minis...NOTHING is as rewarding.

Actually one of the reasons I switched to 15mm was I was NOT feeling rewarded painted hundreds of tiny details and purity seal after purity seal. I personally get more satisfaction with just a few details to pop off that I don't have to worry about missing things or going back after the part I want to paint is "done". I don't doubt the quality, but a less is more approach is more fun for me. It's prolly why I will never finish a lot of the Blood Rage minis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
12 Nov 2016 19:19 #238196 by 40 oz
Replied by 40 oz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, it's hard to do anything after GW minis...NOTHING is as rewarding. The level of quality between "great" board game minis and the Silver Tower stuff is so far apart- the Grots are about on the level of board game minis, I guess, but compare the Mistweaver to those shitty Mansions of Madness figures.

And crap figures are actually harder to paint.

As I was painting MoM, I felt that I had actually gotten worse.

So, in the order of rewarding painting, I see that GW > Black Plague > Mansions of Madness. Where would you put Imperial Assault? I ask because once I start, I will feel compelled to finish.

More
13 Nov 2016 14:36 #238243 by Brewmiester

Mr. White wrote: Here's my current paint brush situation. For the most part, these tools are over 20 years old and still in full operation.
The two on the far right are what I do my 'detail' work with...notice the curve of the hairs...they're in ruin.
I need suggestions on a new set.

Mr. White that picture nearly brought me to tears!

I concur with any of the recommendations for the Windsor Newton brushes, those and their inks have been my go to for a few decades now.

Something I haven't seen mentioned are the Testor brand, the old white plastic handle ones. Nothing fancy but you can get them cheap (I've been getting them from Menards lately) and they are great for drybrushing and last forever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
13 Nov 2016 15:03 #238245 by Michael Barnes
As I was painting MoM, I felt that I had actually gotten worse.

Ha! I know exactly the feeling! The irony is that simple crap figures are actually harder to paint than high detail, high quality figures. I went through this same thing stepping down to do some FFG painting.

So, in the order of rewarding painting, I see that GW > Black Plague > Mansions of Madness. Where would you put Imperial Assault? I ask because once I start, I will feel compelled to finish.

I've just painted about 15 figures from IA but it's a little different. The figures aren't great, but it's fun to paint familiar characters and familiar color schemes. They aren't bad at all, really, but still a few steps down from GW.

More
13 Nov 2016 18:58 #238269 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

Da Bid Dabid wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, it's hard to do anything after GW minis...NOTHING is as rewarding.

Actually one of the reasons I switched to 15mm was I was NOT feeling rewarded painted hundreds of tiny details and purity seal after purity seal. I personally get more satisfaction with just a few details to pop off that I don't have to worry about missing things or going back after the part I want to paint is "done". I don't doubt the quality, but a less is more approach is more fun for me. It's prolly why I will never finish a lot of the Blood Rage minis.

Yeah, I know how that feels. Working on smaller scale is really rewarding as you do see results fast. Sadly, US postage has killed any chance for me to get more 15s (strangely UK 15mm minis don't temp me much). I rue the day Rebel minis raised their flat shipping rate to $12...

More
14 Nov 2016 08:05 - 14 Nov 2016 08:07 #238286 by Mr. White

Finished up another DreadBall team this weekend, the Brokkr, and the first that I topped off with the upcoming team captain player in mind. Seems that in next year’s DreadBall release a lot of what where MVP characters will have their minis moved to a team captain role which will provide some coaching benefits while on the pitch.

Anyway, when coming up with the color scheme for this team I looked to Italian glam rock band Giuda’s 2013 release “Let’s Do It Again”. Besides being an incredible album, the cover and interior are done up as if the band were a 70’s RollerBall team.

Initially, I was going to go with the darker main color, almost black, but with the black bases in DreadBall, I decided on something a bit lighter to provide contrast. I may have gone a step too light, hoping the shading process would darken it up a bit more, but with a large pile of unpainted minis yet to knock out, I decided this was good enough. I went with the solid uniforms, but yellow trim on the shoulders/sleeves, but the main bit of inspiration I got from the cover is the grease or ‘eye black’ under the eyes. Not sure why I’ve never applied that to any of my Blood Bowl or Dreadball teams yet, but it makes perfect sense. Particularly with the neon lights, shine, and glare of a DreadBall pitch.

For the name I leaned on the Rollerball motif some more. James Caan’s team is from Houston in the flick and my MLS team is the Houston Dynamo, so there ya go. Glamrokk as a nod to Giuda’s music, while sounding like a viable sci-fi locale or entity, but two k’s because, well….Brokkr. Finally, continuing the idea of each team having a corporate sponsor and I introduce the Glamrokk Systems Dynamo.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 08:07 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Da Bid Dabid, JEM

More
15 Nov 2016 17:11 #238516 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I am going to try to post my Kairic Acolytes here below, even though they don't pop up in preview. In case they don't show up, just picture them beautiful and perfect in every way:

I'm having trouble with Tzaangors. You know that golden-framed armor, shields, and everything (tzaangors seem to love their gold)? So, I can't keep it steady. There's gold over the armor and the skin, like a lot of it. So I guess I'll have to paint over it, which is a bummer, because I already did most of the highlighting. Maybe next time I'll do gold first.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds