October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
07 Dec 2016 15:36 #240072 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, I thought they were too. But the tub was really light and I was like "huh?" But I think they may be better than real rocks.

Dryad Bark is vey slightly grayer than Rhinox Hide. But they are really close.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2016 01:42 #240108 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I am almost done with my Khorne starter. Really appreciate the advice about painting the golden trim first. On a few minis, I've also did the leather belts and straps before basecoating and the end result was much better.

More
14 Dec 2016 12:27 - 14 Dec 2016 12:28 #240571 by barrowdown
While I haven't started painting test Necrons, here is my color chart of GW paints:

The photo looks slightly less red than I think it looks in real life, but otherwise it is probably a good guide. I uploaded a full-size image so if you open it in a separate tab, you can zoom way in to look at the contrasts.

The base/primer colors everything is painted over are: GW Imperial Primer, Vallejo Surface Primer White, GW Khorne Red, and GW Mephiston Red. These have been painted in two groups of four with the left group glazed with GW Bloodletter.

I'm not a fan of most of the glazed colors with only the bottom five base paints still appearing "brown" enough to me, which is not going to help when I highlight them up.

Nothing too conclusive for me, so I will still need to do some test models.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 12:28 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
14 Dec 2016 17:58 #240616 by boothwah
It looks like Barney got into painting Warhammer figures.

MY LITTLE PONY THEMED WARHAMMER ARMY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Vlad

More
16 Dec 2016 19:45 #240831 by Michael Barnes
I swear I'm going to post pictures of the 100+ miniatures I've painted since the last photo post at some point.

I've been trying to rip through Burning of Prospero, I have most of it done now. I've sort of hit a burnout point with the Thousand Sons though, I did all the Termies and 16 of the SMs (thank Tzeentch for Army Painter Dragon Red Primer) and I've just got Azrak and four more SMs (Sergeants and Vexillae). Then it's just the Custodes (easy, pretty much just like Stormcast) and the Sisters. And Geigor, who may be a little more difficult.

I just brush primed Thorin's company from that Hobbit set...went with the brush because the figures are quite a bit smaller than AOS/40k and I didn't want to risk the small details. They are really nice figures, once again far better than anything from the board game companies. The Bilbo and Gandalf minis are really lovely and each of the dwarves is characterful.

Doing the brush priming, I thought "why the hell don't I always do this" instead of futzing around with toxic-ass spray paint. The coverage is better, you can apply it more consistently and thinly, and it really doesn't take that much longer. And it's not full of environment-destroying chemicals and poisonous gases. So I ordered a big bottle of Vallejo black primer

I've got Blood Bowl put together, I really kind of don't like the Orcs. They also sort of broke apart after they were glued and dried, the parts I guess fit so tightly that they opened some seams. The humans look fine, looking forward to painting them and the Skaven.

Side note- I sold the Skaven dice on eBay for $35. I mean come on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
16 Dec 2016 23:23 #240837 by barrowdown

Doing the brush priming, I thought "why the hell don't I always do this" instead of futzing around with toxic-ass spray paint. The coverage is better, you can apply it more consistently and thinly, and it really doesn't take that much longer. And it's not full of environment-destroying chemicals and poisonous gases. So I ordered a big bottle of Vallejo black primer

It's just one more step to an airbrush and the transformation is complete. Bwahahaha!

More
16 Dec 2016 23:54 #240840 by Space Ghost
Does the airbrushing the primer work pretty well? -- my wife airbrushes wedding cakes, so all I would need is the paint

More
17 Dec 2016 00:08 #240842 by barrowdown
Vallejo Surface Primer works great in an airbrush. I thin in a little with solvent because I like it very fluid, but you can use it straight with a 0.2-0.5mm needle and around 20 psi. I haven't had any problems with it. It's a little harder to clean than paint, just requiring a bit more time and solvent to get it off the brush.

All my experience is with a gravity-feed so it might need more solvent in a siphon feed to flow properly.

More
17 Dec 2016 03:08 #240845 by Vlad
I prefer applying the primer with a brush. It doesn't take that much time, and I feel much more in control.
I find I need an advil after spray, and find airbrushing too laborious (all that cleaning and taking care), but I've only tried that once with a borrowed (and admittedly very cheap) airbrush.

More
17 Dec 2016 15:05 #240852 by barrowdown
Were you using a single-action airbrush (same control for paint feed and airflow)? If so, that would certainly feel like too little control, but do whatever works best for you. I still brush prime if I am doing a single mini of Marine-size, but I am going straight to the airbrush for units particularly if they need a difficult basecoat like red.

One benefit of painting on the primer that is affecting me right now, I can't airbrush when it is -15 degrees outside. My garage is hovering in the low teens, which is way too cold for painting.

More
17 Dec 2016 20:53 #240859 by Vlad
Yes, it was a single-action airbrush. I get your point about airbrushing the basecoating. I've been doing red skin a lot these days for Khorne dudes, and thought that maybe airbrushing it would be more fun and effective. I'll probably get into it at some point, but only when I feel like I'm ready (and I'd probably want to get a good airbrush, not the cheap one).

More
17 Dec 2016 21:44 - 17 Dec 2016 21:45 #240861 by barrowdown
If you are looking for a brush primarily for priming and basecoating that can still do a little bit of detail work, a Badger 105 works great for about $65-70. I have one and it is very easy to clean and replacement needles are only $8-10 on Amazon if you bend one or want a different size.

Even if you want one for fine detail work, you will probably still need something like the Badger 105 for the bulk coverage work of priming.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2016 21:45 by barrowdown.

More
18 Dec 2016 00:58 #240864 by metalface13
I don't even understand how anyone uses an airbrush for detail work, how is that even possible?

More
18 Dec 2016 19:44 - 18 Dec 2016 19:47 #240883 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

I hate this Chimera so I use it to try new techniques such as salt chipping and dry pigments.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Dec 2016 19:47 by Hadik.

More
07 Jan 2017 12:40 - 07 Jan 2017 12:41 #241941 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
My wife got me Blood Bowl for Christmas so I decided to dive into the Orcs. I've painted maybe 3 minis in my life back in high school so I was pretty worried about screwing them up but I'm pretty happy with the results. Nothing too creative for my first project, just went with Gouged Eye colors. Maybe I'll give my next team Vikings colors...

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jan 2017 12:41 by blatz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, lj1983, Columbob, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, engineer Al, barrowdown

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds