October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
18 Jan 2017 19:07 #242648 by Hex Sinister

Colorcrayons wrote: I might steal this pic and make it my avatar.

That would be excellent. You gotta. It brings me a strange joy when I see it lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2017 19:27 #242651 by Michael Barnes
I actually like the Ultramarine (?) better. It looks like he has some kind of unique strain of Nurgle Rot. And he is surprised by the diagnosis.

More
18 Jan 2017 19:58 #242655 by Hex Sinister
That's true, god that one makes me cackle.

More
19 Jan 2017 09:14 #242665 by san il defanso
I've been working on the Space Marines in Space Hulk. Here's my progress so far. Keep in mind that I've not done the basing on these yet, as I've hit my paint budget for the month already.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Columbob, Brewmiester, barrowdown, Vlad

More
19 Jan 2017 09:41 #242668 by Columbob

stoic wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Working on this bad boy tonight.

Damn. Looking at that screaming marine makes me feel the same as he does.
I might steal this pic and make it my avatar. Then lie to everyone and say I painted it.

Looking at this more carefully, I see now that the artist is a genius. There's so much emotion contained in the strategic placement of the brush strokes on the plastic. The shading and colors add to the feel that this character might come to life at any moment. True art is never appreciated.

Love the eyebrows and mutton chops, myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
19 Jan 2017 17:13 #242696 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
San, I think you're at the fulcrum point here and need to make an important life decision :)
You either start using shading or you don't.
Actually, I thought you used shades on your first batch of space marines, didn't you?

More
19 Jan 2017 17:14 #242697 by hotseatgames
Vexnar the Reaper, from Gorechosen. I only have one more Gorechosen figure to paint, and I think he will be fairly challenging since he has a flaming hammer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Brewmiester, barrowdown, Vlad

More
19 Jan 2017 17:32 #242699 by Michael Barnes
Dang Mark- you are coming on up!

Nate, take heed of what Vlad said. Using some shade is the next step here. Don't be scared of it, there's a reason they call it "instant talent.". Even if you just did some Agrax on the gold and Reikland on the face and red parts I think you would be surprised. Your confidence will increase and you will level up.

Recommended purchases: Nuln Oil, Agrax Earth shade, Reikland Flesh Shade.

I have every Citadel shade and I use at least one on every model.

Actually you know what, I have some of the Army Painter shades- I'll send them to you if you want. They work just fine, and they are equivalent to Citadel in terms of color.

I leveled up last night myself. I did the Spite Revenants without a tutorial or guide. Just the box picture. I think they turned out pretty good, went with a grayish wood for them. The eyes are a little wonk though- I wanted them to have glassy black eyes but they aren't quite there. May try some 'Ardcoat on them. Almost wish there was a black glaze...I guess I could do gloss Nuln Oil, but I don't want to spend $8 for it.

Next up- Branchwych, 6 Kurnoth Hunters, Treelord Ancient, Spirit of Durthu, Drycha Hamadreth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Jan 2017 17:48 - 19 Jan 2017 18:07 #242702 by san il defanso
Actually, those Space Marines have since been shaded, I hadn't done it when that picture was taken. I did use it on the Librarian, though I was perhaps being a big conservative. I didn't want to just mop it on there. Agrax Earthshade was the principal one. I used Drakenhof Nightshade on the librarian, and Agrax Earthshade on the other guys.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2017 18:07 by san il defanso.

More
19 Jan 2017 17:58 - 19 Jan 2017 17:58 #242703 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: I have every Citadel shade and I use at least one on every model.

Have you ever used Fuegan Orange and Casandora Yellow? I think I might have the yellow because it was clearanced, but I have never seen a great use for either of them.

Almost wish there was a black glaze...I guess I could do gloss Nuln Oil, but I don't want to spend $8 for it.

Do you have any medium (GW Lahmian Medium or one of Vallejo's)? You could just mix that with black to get a glaze (probably 1 part paint to 4 or 5 parts medium).
Last edit: 19 Jan 2017 17:58 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
19 Jan 2017 18:21 - 19 Jan 2017 18:23 #242706 by Michael Barnes
I've been using both Fuegan and Casandora! There's been a few uses for them with Sylvaneth, and some of the Seraphon colors I've seen use them. Casandora I just used on the engraved runes. You load in some White Scar and then flood it with Casandora. I'm not good at that detail so mine look sloppy, but it gives a kind of glow effect. Like all of the color shades, their uses are more limited/specific. I've also used Lamenter's Yellow, a discontinued yellow glaze. Looks great on leaves.

I do have Lahmian Medium, I didn't think of mixing it with black for that. Might work.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2017 18:23 by Michael Barnes.

More
19 Jan 2017 18:37 #242711 by Michael Barnes
Oh, on using shades...it is not quite as easy as some folks make it out to be, it is something you kind of have to get a feel for. Like all aspects of painting, you have to learn how to work with the medium- how it acts on a surface, how it moves, how it changes properties, etc.
  • One thing you don't want to do (usually) is to just mop it all over the whole model at once. What will happen is you will wind up shading areas that you don't want shaded- like the flat areas of SM armor. Do sections at a time, and PUSH the shade into the crevasses and seams. If you have too much, wipe out the brush and use it to soak up the excess. Then put that excess somewhere else.
  • You also have to watch for pooling. You will learn to see areas where it's going to all run to, and there again take out the excess with the brush. If you leave it to dry, you'll get some kind of ugly clumps of it.
  • If you are going to drybrush or layer another color over a shaded area, you can be more liberal. In fact, on the Aquilas for example you can base with a dark gold (like Balthasar) and then put it on pretty heavy. When you drybrush, you will have a more pronounced effect.
  • Color shades are really good for enriching a hue. Drakenhof is the right way to go on blue armor IF you are not doing Nuln Oil as GW tends to suggest for basic Ultramarine armor.
  • You can also water shades down, which is helpful if you want to ONLY go into certain areas or if you want to tone it down. You can also bump a hue down a little this way if you paint it all over it.
  • Use the right color for the job. Nuln Oil is black, so it naturally works best on grays, blacks, dark browns, silver metals and so forth. Agrax Earthshade is actually a chestnut color, which makes it ideal for browns, reds, dark greens, gold metals and so forth. Reikland Flesh Shade is reddish brown and it is as the name suggest made for skin tones. But you can also use it on reds, golds, light browns. Seraphim Sepia is a lighter, more subtle brown shade good for lighter colors you don't want to drown with a dark wash.

Bonus- neat jewel effect. Base a jewel Ulthuan Gray. Apply a color shade (Carroburg Crimson, Druichii Violet, Drakenhof Nightshade, Biel-Tan Green, etc.). Done!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Vlad

More
19 Jan 2017 19:00 #242715 by san il defanso
That's helpful, thanks. And yes, I will take your Army Painter washes off your hand.

More
19 Jan 2017 19:07 #242716 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: I've been using both Fuegan and Casandora! There's been a few uses for them with Sylvaneth, and some of the Seraphon colors I've seen use them. Casandora I just used on the engraved runes. You load in some White Scar and then flood it with Casandora. I'm not good at that detail so mine look sloppy, but it gives a kind of glow effect. Like all of the color shades, their uses are more limited/specific. I've also used Lamenter's Yellow, a discontinued yellow glaze. Looks great on leaves.

I do have Lahmian Medium, I didn't think of mixing it with black for that. Might work.

Lamenters Yellow is one of the greatest GW creations and they decided it should only be available direct from them for some reason.

More
19 Jan 2017 19:07 #242717 by Michael Barnes
Cool, I'll send them to you. I have some other paints I'll throw in there too that I'm not using.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.947 seconds